Preview Changes vs Demons (Sat 1.45pm 22/8)

Remove this Banner Ad

Has anyone on here ever been tagged at any level??

Even at amateur level it really sucks. It’s hard to deal with. I’m blown away by how well guys cope with it at AFL level.

JJ can’t. Doesn’t surprise me and doesn’t mean he’s soft.

Even at amateur level it really sucks. It’s hard to deal with. I’m blown away by how well guys cope with it at AFL level.

I was a tagger out of necessity because I was rubbish at anything else

I used to play as a tagger myself. It's incredible how easy it is to shut people down to be honest, even the best players. You can be half the footy player, yet still shut someone out of the game as we saw with Geary on JJ in the Saints game. Not because he's soft, but because some people just can't deal with the extra attention, or their playstyle doesn't work effectively when you have someone sitting on you ready to tackle or block your run at all times

My guess is Lipinski

Like i said before - look at what Williams has done this year (most improved player in comp according to CD). Williams was in the same boat as lipinski last year up and down. I know Lipinski lacks the pace of Williams, but he more then makes up for it with his overall football ability.

If we keep playing Lipinski, you watch him from next year...

You don't need to be quick to make it as an AFL player.

Like i said before - look at what Williams has done this year (most improved player in comp according to CD). Williams was in the same boat as lipinski last year up and down. I know Lipinski lacks the pace of Williams, but he more then makes up for it with his overall football ability.

I agree, I just mean it's almost always Lipinski or McLean getting dropped out of nowhere, so if it's going to happen this week, I'm picking one of them. McLean was better last week, hence the Lipinski guess.

Unless he gets full time midfield minutes though, he will probably never have a fully consistent season

I agree you don’t have to be quick but when most of the rest of your midfield is also slow it becomes an issue.

With players in the lower half of the 22 or fringe players we should be looking at what talents do they have and trying to mazimise those rather than critise or focus on the negatives. Schache and Lipinski have a lot of similar strengths and weaknesses so we should be looking at putting them in positions to succeed. Schache could almost be a tall wingman with his tank - let him run up down a wing and push forward when possible. Lipinski is super clean and creative around goals, can we play through him on the flank a little bit more and let get him delivering into the 50 or having shots

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The great thing about our position is that by the time we reach finals next year the following players will all collectively be in the 50 - 80 games mark:

Lipinski
English
Richards
Naughton
Smith
Wiliams

The only players who will be best 22 and under 50 games experience will be JUH and Vandermeer...
That's the direction we want to head in, sure, but it's almost guaranteed that one of two of our current best 22 will drop out and a new kid will enter. Someone has to make way for JUH, we could find that Dale, Wood, or really anyone could drop off a cliff, and a sub-10 gamer takes their spot. It happens every single year unfortunately

I’m nervous about the team selection tonight. More nervous than I am before the actual games. Speaks volumes really, we’ll butcher it.
I've been thinking we need a special Selection Day thread the way we have a special Game Day thread.
It's become one of the highlights of the BF week.

That's the direction we want to head in, sure, but it's almost guaranteed that one of two of our current best 22 will drop out and a new kid will enter. Someone has to make way for JUH, we could find that Dale, Wood, or really anyone could drop off a cliff, and a sub-10 gamer takes their spot. It happens every single year unfortunately

Yes certainly...

How many times this year have we played VFL players?? - Gowers, R.Smith, Gardner, Lloyd (playing like one this year)... we certainly have room for JUH without needing to touch the players mentioned previously....

B: Easton Wood, Alex Keath, Caleb Daniel
HB: Bailey Williams, Ryan Gardner, Hayden Crozier
C: Bailey Smith, Jack Macrae, Lachie Hunter
HF: Toby McLean, Josh Bruce, Mitch Wallis
F: Tom Liberatore, Aaron Naughton, Ben Cavarra
Foll: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Josh Dunkley
Int: Ed Richards, Laitham Vandermeer, Pat Lipinski, Jason Johannisen
Emer: Lewis Young, Tory Dickson, Roarke Smith, Riley Garcia

One of the better sides we could probably put up, though I'd still prefer Le Young in for Gardner. Interesting to see Garcia on the emergency list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back