Preview Changes vs Demons (Sat 1.45pm 22/8)

ExRoyboy

Premiership Player
Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Utah Jazz
Can't agree at all on English. Yes he lost hit outs, but it's totally irrelevant when we win clearances 44-19 and score the most from stoppages of any team all year.

Around the ground he had 12 possessions, 5 marks (4 inside 50), 5 tackles, 8 score involvements and 5 scores himself (admittedly a disappointing 1.4).

That is a healthy contribution from a Ruckman, not the numbers of someone who is cooked.
Every time I see him go for a contest it’s a weak attempt. He just looks tired to me even if he has got a few stats. And those 8 score involvements as you say include 1.4 himself. I just go by what I see and that is a guy who gets beaten in most contests and is dropping marks he used to take. He looks tired if you ask me, and I’m not surprised. At times in the last game we had Dunkley rucking when English was in the game and even in the vicinity of the ruck contest. We should never have Dunks and Bont taking ruck contests. They are rolls Royce midfielders, they will get injured doing stupid s**t like that. If that is being done because English isn’t able to handle the ruck duties then we need to change our ruckman and give him a decent rest.

Proffessor

Club Legend
Jan 21, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Dale wants to stay the deepest forward and lead to the ball or creeps up and tries to get cheapies over the back.

He does not pressure or tackle and in fact tries to stay in space and takes up others leading lanes.

His stats for a small/mid forward are ordinary at best and if you take the 6 week period against spud teams last year out they are in fact really poor.

Forward players that offer nothing other than a east target in space are part of our struggles

Dale is a natural forward, which means he is always looking to get free or in a dangerous position, and once he gets it he knows where the goals are and s a reasonable chance to score. He is decent in the air, and on the ground so is a difficult match up for defenders.

When our game plan breaks down, it is because we are too one dimensional, with too many defensively minded, slowish players who struggle to get into space.

Having said all this, Bailey does frustrate me when we lose because he doesn't work hard enough to change things up. He is good enough to and go and get his own footy, and should do so more often, and yes he could also tackle more often.

However people scapegoating Dale because of the weaknesses in his defensive game reminds me of the last couple of seasons that Adam Cooney played for us under McCartney. Our major weakness back then then was a complete lack of offensive running, yet the only guy on the team prepared to run offensively got blamed for not running hard enough the other way.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
And if you take away his bad games his stats are quite good.

Funny that.

Wow haven’t you returned to the original you! Shame

He has played 59 games, take the 6 weeks in a row out and he has been really poor. Not 6 random games those exact 6 weeks.

Or do you think taking the other 53 truly indicative games out is the way to go?

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Dale is a natural forward, which means he is always looking to get free or in a dangerous position, and once he gets it he knows where the goals are and s a reasonable chance to score. He is decent in the air, and on the ground so is a difficult match up for defenders.

When our game plan breaks down, it is because we are too one dimensional, with too many defensively minded, slowish players who struggle to get into space.

Having said all this, Bailey does frustrate me when we lose because he doesn't work hard enough to change things up. He is good enough to and go and get his own footy, and should do so more often, and yes he could also tackle more often.

However people scapegoating Dale because of the weaknesses in his defensive game reminds me of the last couple of seasons that Adam Cooney played for us under McCartney. Our major weakness back then then was a complete lack of offensive running, yet the only guy on the team prepared to run offensively got blamed for not running hard enough the other way.

So you are comparing Bailey Dales unwillingness to run to Cooneys inability to run? Fair enough makes sense

No I’m blaming Bailey Dale because he is no good. He isn’t the only natural forward on our list either. Schache and Greene are both natural forwards that know how to play up front just can’t make it happens for different reasons.

Why was the entire team last week prepared to run both ways OTHER than Dale? Hoes fault is that?

People in here live using stats so as I said Dale has played nearly 60 games, take the 6 week block out last year and his stats are not even close to someone who deserves a game. In fact they are miles worse then Gowers.

Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
Every time I see him go for a contest it’s a weak attempt. He just looks tired to me even if he has got a few stats. And those 8 score involvements as you say include 1.4 himself. I just go by what I see and that is a guy who gets beaten in most contests and is dropping marks he used to take. He looks tired if you ask me, and I’m not surprised. At times in the last game we had Dunkley rucking when English was in the game and even in the vicinity of the ruck contest. We should never have Dunks and Bont taking ruck contests. They are rolls Royce midfielders, they will get injured doing stupid sh*t like that. If that is being done because English isn’t able to handle the ruck duties then we need to change our ruckman and give him a decent rest.

Dunkley ruck was a nice balancing act that was for a lot of reasons. Rested English for the following games, got Dunkley into the midfield instead of rotating out Bont and Smith (and it showed, they had amazing games), gave us a second tall target to keep their defenders split (and it showed, Naughton kicked 6 one out and English had lots of opportunities). It was a great move

Mantis Toboggan

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Wow haven’t you returned to the original you! Shame

He has played 59 games, take the 6 weeks in a row out and he has been really poor. Not 6 random games those exact 6 weeks.

Or do you think taking the other 53 truly indicative games out is the way to go?
I’m just pointing out that if you’re picking and choosing your stats then you can use them to support any argument.

No need to make it personal, MD, I know you don’t like it when that happens to you.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’m just pointing out that if you’re picking and choosing your stats then you can use them to support any argument.

No need to make it personal, MD, I know you don’t like it when that happens to you.

Wow ok

Enjoy the game

ringa5

CRAZY HORSE
Jun 1, 2009
goldcoast
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Surely Bev can see Bruce an Naughton need to swap.May and Lever well on top.
Come on Bev
Change them round
Let his pin up boy Gardener do the ruck

Back