Preview Changes vs Dogs not Suns (courtesy of loose lips Brayshaw) - Round 19

Remove this Banner Ad

So we won’t be able to attend this game either?
I've been able to use my AFL membership four times this season I reckon. I wonder how much they'll offer to refund, given last year was $150 just to keep the progress towards gold :think:

Would like to see Harmes back if his ear is better - play the same role on Libba he did last time we played.

This of course means Viney out but I’m not sure our MC would go for that. I don’t mind if they invent some face-saving media for him like load management given his recent return from injury if that makes everyone feel better

Someone on another forum went through Vineys involvement against the Hawks . To summarize was ok in the first q , 2nd & 3rd q not good , brief appearance in the last before disappearing . Involved in (directly or indirectly) 7 turnovers against us .
I have no idea what his role is , he gets caught with the ball quite often now , and as i said during the game would he still be in the team if his name was not Viney . Will be interested to see how long he is allowed to perform like this without being dropped ( managed or whatever ) .
He was not the only one who had a dog afternoon , and not the sole reason we drew , but it is becoming harder to justify his spot atm.

Someone on another forum went through Vineys involvement against the Hawks . To summarize was ok in the first q , 2nd & 3rd q not good , brief appearance in the last before disappearing . Involved in (directly or indirectly) 7 turnovers against us .
I have no idea what his role is , he gets caught with the ball quite often now , and as i said during the game would he still be in the team if his name was not Viney . Will be interested to see how long he is allowed to perform like this without being dropped ( managed or whatever ) .
He was not the only one who had a dog afternoon , and not the sole reason we drew , but it is becoming harder to justify his spot atm.
His role seems to be, and I say this with the greatest respect, chief headbutter. Its little wonder Oliver and Petracca lose their connection when he's in there with them. I have been a Harmes critic in the past, but you don't see him jumping into every single ruck contest. He holds his ground and defends a man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't see him getting dropped, unfortunately.

He's always lauded by coaching group for his toughness. But the eye test, and what you've posted, tell a far worse picture. The 3 times he was running towards 50 and bombed to top of square was hideous. It rebounded out even faster than it went in.

He's been one of my favourite players for a long time, purely because I've never doubted him cracking in. We've moved past effort though, from 2013/14 days.

When he was out of the team, I thought we missed his toughness and contested work. But he's reaching Dom Tyson levels of infuriating turnover/retention.

I can't see him getting dropped, unfortunately.

He's always lauded by coaching group for his toughness. But the eye test, and what you've posted, tell a far worse picture. The 3 times he was running towards 50 and bombed to top of square was hideous. It rebounded out even faster than it went in.

He's been one of my favourite players for a long time, purely because I've never doubted him cracking in. We've moved past effort though, from 2013/14 days.

When he was out of the team, I thought we missed his toughness and contested work. But he's reaching Dom Tyson levels of infuriating turnover/retention.

Great post. I love him as a player too but I reckon we’ve moved past him playing significant onball minutes. He just gets in the way of Oliver and Petracca these days.

Great post. I love him as a player too but I reckon we’ve moved past him playing significant onball minutes. He just gets in the way of Oliver and Petracca these days.
Not only does he get in the way, but he doesn't defend well enough either now.

He doesn't get back to defend as well now, he's lost that quick step with his tackling to shut down players and he seems to give away 2-3 free kicks a game fairly regularly. He still pressures well, but he hasn't got the agility from 3-4 years ago to really dictate and boss his way around.

And that's without his flaws offensively.

The only thought I can offer is that if we're not going to drop Viney (and we're not), then he can't be starting centre bounce when Oliver and Petracca are already in there. That means, for longevity's sake, he may need to consider that he's going to have to play forward minutes. His aggression and attack on the ball could actually be put to good use there.

Of course, the three of them could also just communicate better and figure out a plan where they're not crashing into each other and trying to continually win the same ball.

If he did rotate into the forward line more, then I'd maybe like to see Spargo and ANB (along with Pickett) possibly tried as the 3rd mid at some of our centre bounces, with the instruction that they need to be the one to hold their ground and be the distributor if we win the clearance. I'd like to see Salem in this role occasionally too, but until we figure out a way to clone him that's probably not going to happen.

in: Harmes, Melksham
out: Viney (won't happen) Jackson to rotate off the bench instead of FP
I can't remember what melt changes I made in the other thread but I agree with the above. Oh yes it was AVB out.

Too many in and under mids, let Oliver be the extractor and balance the side better. Need Harmess tagging and Melky delivering good balls into the 50.

Yea I miss Viney the tagger, would be easier to justify him being in the side if he could do a job still. Viney the accumulator does more harm than good.

Not often you get to win a flag without upsetting someone on the list, will always be players requesting trades to seek better opportunities. Match committee dropping Viney would actually benefit us long term if he were to request a trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back