Status
Not open for further replies.

JJHunter

Club Legend
Jan 15, 2008
Toorak
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If it's his shoulder - give him a week off.
If it's confidence - then surely playing the bombers rather than VFL is the go. Strange for me - stranger that
1) they haven't Brought Minson in so Boyd plays permanent fwd.
2) so close to finals you'd want to settle on a side
3) Cordy our only perm fwd over 6foot and he had played two games there.
4) what if he doesn't play well at VFL - how do u bring him back for finals without breaking the whole "promote guys in good form" mantra

ABitWoofy

Premiership Player
Aug 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He refuses to lead up because he doesn't want contact coz his AC is screwed.

Even though he was out of form he was leading up before the injury.

The dogs played him when any idiot just watching him could see he was carrying the arm so now don't punish him(or anyone) cos you threw them to the wolves before they were ready.

And if you think Dickson has a crack and puts his body on the line your watching a different bloke to me, he is the new Highins peaheart scared of his own shadow.

With all due respect, I just can't subscribe to this MD. If his AC was the reason for stinking it up the over the last month then there's no way he'd be playing VFL, he'd be rested.

May 30, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, Boston Celtics
Stringer was refusing to lead and stinking it up well prior to his AC. Any doubts just look at the first norf game.
So by that rationale he's been stinking it up since round 6 and will probably end the season our number 1 goalkicker by about 20 goals, and we're dropping him in Round 22.

I'll take more players stinking it up on the dogs then thanks.

Cadillac

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sorry mate you can't treat players differently simply coz they have differing abilities.

50% of Jong is better than 100% of Dickson

Again I'm not arguing the dropping in arguing the inequality.

Stringer has been better than Dickson

Stevens was BOG two weeks before getting dropped.

Mino comes in and plays ok and get dropped after one crack.

Seems there's rules for some and none for others.
That 100% of Dickson kicked 50 goals in a good forward line last year. Including 5 straight in a final. Don't forget that MD.

May 30, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
That 100% of Dickson kicked 50 goals in a good forward line last year. Including 5 straight in a final. Don't forget that MD.
The contrasting dysfunctional forward line this year with a complete overhaul of the team system means that Dickson has what, 22 this year?

Perhaps we're unnecessarily dropping another forward in that lineup when its more a result of that defensive system.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

That was before teams worked out he is petrified and if you put a man on him and stay on him he is best to useless mate.

He was great last year and maybe him a better forest line next year he may improve but I can't see it. He had a year out of the bag he won't get near that again IMO

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
With all due respect, I just can't subscribe to this MD. If his AC was the reason for stinking it up the over the last month then there's no way he'd be playing VFL, he'd be rested.

Yep he is stinking it up but still leading our goal kicking and been paying hurt and missing games but he is the problem ??

Sorry mate the whole thing doesn't make sense

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He refuses to lead up because he doesn't want contact coz his AC is screwed.

Even though he was out of form he was leading up before the injury.

The dogs played him when any idiot just watching him could see he was carrying the arm so now don't punish him(or anyone) cos you threw them to the wolves before they were ready.

And if you think Dickson has a crack and puts his body on the line your watching a different bloke to me, he is the new Highins peaheart scared of his own shadow.
Not that often. Remember all the talk about him wanting the cheapies over the back? That was before GC game and his injury.

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So by that rationale he's been stinking it up since round 6 and will probably end the season our number 1 goalkicker by about 20 goals, and we're dropping him in Round 22.

Leading goalkicker in a team ranked 10th for scoring. Everyone cracked it when Macrae was dropped and look how he responded. Suspect bevo is doing it now to put the rocket up him before finals. If he plays well, he goes to Perth and the boys get around him. It's obvious you're a Stringer fan boy but there is actually logic attached to the decision despite you thinking there isn't.

ABitWoofy

Premiership Player
Aug 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yep he is stinking it up but still leading our goal kicking and been paying hurt and missing games but he is the problem ??

Sorry mate the whole thing doesn't make sense

End of the day, if sending him back to the VFL for a week is the wake up call he needed and he comes back, stars in the finals and carries his new found attitude into 2017 we should all be happy, right?

Last edited:
May 30, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Leading goalkicker in a team ranked 10th for scoring. Everyone cracked it when Macrae was dropped and look how he responded. Suspect bevo is doing it now to put the rocket up him before finals. If he plays well, he goes to Perth and the boys get around him. It's obvious you're a Stringer fan boy but there is actually logic attached to the decision despite you thinking there isn't.

The fact that you're acknowledging we're 10th in scoring kind of proves my point.

Macrae is a player that we can cover with depth at his position. We have little to no depth at Jake's position.

Every fan of this team should be a stringer fanboy. He's a big bodied midfielder who has become our best forward and fills a dire need for us. It is not an ideal situation to be dropping him in round 22.

The lack of rhythm, system, and continuity in our forward line is a severe worry.

Proffessor

Club Legend
Jan 21, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There are multiple problems with dropping Stringer this week.

Firstly, that we have lost our most productive forward in an already weakened team.
Secondly, we have not replaced him with a player capable of playing a similar role, so we will need to rearrange our forward line structure in our second last match before finals.

Thirdly, if he plays poorly in the VFL, and or someone plays well enough against Essendon to hold a spot that they otherwise might have lost, then we potentially create problems for selection in both the last game and quite possibly the following week in the finals.

We did something similar last year in the last couple of games which led us to make some poor selection decisions in the final that ultimately cost us a match that we should have won.

Clearly we haven't learned from last year's mistakes and appear determined to try and repeat them.

Hopefully things will turn out for the best but it is frustrating watching us taking aim at our foot and just hoping the gun doesn't go off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The fact that you're acknowledging we're 10th in scoring kind of proves my point.

Macrae is a player that we can cover with depth at his position. We have little to no depth at Jake's position.

Every fan of this team should be a stringer fanboy. He's a big bodied midfielder who has become our best forward and fills a dire need for us. It is not an ideal situation to be dropping him in round 22.

The lack of rhythm, system, and continuity in our forward line is a severe worry.
And stringer is part of that worry.

Ozil

Club Legend
Dec 10, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
Whether Stringer is part of the problem or not, the reality is that he has a problem, and needed a kick up the arse.

I love what Jake brings, but he hasn't brought it for weeks and needs to recalibrate a few parts of his game.

Is the VFL the right place to do that? I don't know. On form though, he's got no right to complain.

Macrae is a player that we can cover with depth at his position.

no we cant. the Pies got a few easy goals last week because our mids were not able to push back in defence - the depth cannot cover Macrae's two way running.
We desperately need Jack fit and firing to have any chance in the finals

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If you could provide a forward in our side that has had a good season by their standards I'd believe Stringer is part of the problem.

I believe the problem is systemic.
So why should Stringer be a walk up start? Redpath, Boyd et al have all been dropped this year at some point. Now it's stringer's turn. All you decision haters better not jump on the bandwagon if he comes back into seniors and kicks five.

Sep 27, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
New York Yankees
My fear with Clay is that he keeps getting picked on emotion which hurts both him and the team.
Where do you get this stuff from Proff, your dislike for Clay has severely compromised your ability to think straight.... Wow!!

Sep 27, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
New York Yankees

Have you ever played a team sport?

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Has anyone noticed how "off" our Backline looks when Morris and or Boyd miss? Their leadership and direction is pivotal to our side. I recently spoke to St. Kildas defensive coach, Rowan Welsh, who confirmed their importance following his coding of games (fascinating chat, I'll provide a run down if anyone's intereted).

Now look at our forwards, Stringer, Boyd etc. Not a lot of experience or leadership there. The boys are learning on the fly, the forwards will click. It will just take some time.

TiAn_

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think it's both our forward line being dysfunctional and Stringer being out of form. They're not mutually exclusive. Each contributes to the other.

If his shoulder isn't ok, he won't play tomorrow. We left Boyd out about 13 weeks with a shoulder injury. Doubt we'd have one approach for him and another for Jake.

TiAn_

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Has anyone noticed how "off" our Backline looks when Morris and or Boyd miss? Their leadership and direction is pivotal to our side. I recently spoke to St. Kildas defensive coach, Rowan Welsh, who confirmed their importance following his coding of games (fascinating chat, I'll provide a run down if anyone's intereted).

Now look at our forwards, Stringer, Boyd etc. Not a lot of experience or leadership there. The boys are learning on the fly, the forwards will click. It will just take some time.

Definitely post a rundown.

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Really interesting point. For that reason I'm hoping Murphy plays fwd next year and am looking fwd to Crameri's return (no not Cloke)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back