Strategy Changes vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morris:- Choices are Roberts. Collins. Moyd
I'd take Roberts suiting our needs better against their talls. and the experience factor over Collins.
Then I guess it's Honeychurch vs Smith.
I'd take Smith.
Murphy or Moyd. Hmmmmmm. Murph thanks. Maybe forward
Libber. Really flummoxed with this. Are Webb or Smith better options ?

Massive game for us

Classic 8 pointer, we need to win to keep our finals hopes alive. We've never won the week after a Cairns game also, so we'd be breaking a hoodoo if we get up.

Absolute bugger about Morris, I think we need to go taller at both ends next week to counter Essendon's aerial strength, when Essendon are on they are close to unstoppable but their inconsistency has let them down at times this season too, so it will be interesting to see what Essendon rocks up.

Roberts or Collins for Morris, would like 1 of Cloke/Toyd also brought in somehow too. Perhaps we may need Moyd's experience with Morris going down also, but wait and see on that one.

I'm not sure if serious but Toyd has been out for 5 weeks now and only played 1 game out of the last 8. He is also battling with clinical depression.

Cloke/Dickson for Moz. Wood, Biggs, Young, Cordy is hopefully enough down back.

Really happy with the swap of Dahl/Picken forward and McLean in the midfield. I reckon that's going to be a big part of our next five weeks.

I think Bevo has found a mixture he likes so won't be too many changes besides the forced one.

Either Roberts or Cloke in for Morris. Wouldn't be surprised if we see Bevo bring Roberts in and play Cordy up forward in a defensive role to nullify Hurley's affect on the game.

I like a good conspiracy theory as well as the next person so could it be that by selecting Honeychurch each week we are 'fattening him up for Christmas' - trying to increase his trade value by giving him a string of games? His form has been OK, but when first selected, it was arguably not as good as Webb's.
Like many of you, I still have doubts whether Webb can translate VFL form to AFL but by any measure he should be given at least a similar opportunity to Honeychurch.
If I was to ask which of these two players would you like to retain for next year, who would it be? Do we really want/need to keep Honeychurch on our list for another year or two? I know he gives us his best and all that but is this enough going forward, keeping in mind that both Dunkley and Jong have to find spots as forward/midfielders next season?
Perhaps not so much a conspiracy but more a Webb of intrigue.

I like a good conspiracy theory as well as the next person so could it be that by selecting Honeychurch each week we are 'fattening him up for Christmas' - trying to increase his trade value by giving him a string of games? His form has been OK, but when first selected, it was arguably not as good as Webb's.
Like many of you, I still have doubts whether Webb can translate VFL form to AFL but by any measure he should be given at least a similar opportunity to Honeychurch.
If I was to ask which of these two players would you like to retain for next year, who would it be? Do we really want/need to keep Honeychurch on our list for another year or two? I know he gives us his best and all that but is this enough going forward, keeping in mind that both Dunkley and Jong have to find spots as forward/midfielders next season?
Yeah it is interesting and a subject of much conjecture to the VFL watchers on this board as to why Webb hasn't been given opportunities at senior level this year.

In fairness to Honeychurch, he was just about the dominant player in the VFL when he was selected for the firsts five or six weeks ago.

Certainly possible but with moyd and Murphy both likely at the end and moz a possibility, add To that Hamilton almost certain to go, Webb and dale unsigned ( want both kept) we may well be seeing if he is worth a new contract. I doubt we would want to make more than a hand full of list changes

Webb in for Morris
DIckson for Honeychurch

Prefer to play Caleb on Daniher than Roberts. Roberts is a liability in defence and Joe will have 12 scoring shots against him. HE is too slow, cannot keep his feet and cannot play 1 on 1. People tend to forget that our zone and pressure made him look serviceable last year.

Webb has to get given a decent run of games. Dale has blossomed because he got a number of games in a row and had a few shockers. Thankfully he got an extended run, gained confidence and is now a very important player. Webb needs the same opportunity. On a bad day he is still better than Honeychurch.

Williams, Libba and MURPHY were all poor and would be lucky to keep their spots. Williams gets caught too much but has youth on his side.

Cordy on Daniher
Young on Hooker
Wood on Stewart. don't rate Stewart and wood can play tall.

We need to run the ball out of defence so I would play small. All 3 are very good in the air so we need to bring it to ground

I'm not sure if serious but Toyd has been out for 5 weeks now and only played 1 game out of the last 8. He is also battling with clinical depression.
He's training though

Might've been a premature call, but who knows when he'll be available, we really miss him.

Webb in for Morris
DIckson for Honeychurch

Prefer to play Caleb on Daniher than Roberts. Roberts is a liability in defence and Joe will have 12 scoring shots against him. HE is too slow, cannot keep his feet and cannot play 1 on 1. People tend to forget that our zone and pressure made him look serviceable last year.

Webb has to get given a decent run of games. Dale has blossomed because he got a number of games in a row and had a few shockers. Thankfully he got an extended run, gained confidence and is now a very important player. Webb needs the same opportunity. On a bad day he is still better than Honeychurch.

Williams, Libba and MURPHY were all poor and would be lucky to keep their spots. Williams gets caught too much but has youth on his side.

Cordy on Daniher
Young on Hooker
Wood on Stewart. don't rate Stewart and wood can play tall.

We need to run the ball out of defence so I would play small. All 3 are very good in the air so we need to bring it to ground
Agree totally and time for Collins to see what he can bring to the side.

Any chance of a proper conversation lately Scrag?

You know, I could point score all I like, but I go to the Bay or Main Bored for that s**t....

I just think it was ridiculous to suggest Tom comes straight back in and then to defend it by stating that he's training. We both know that you're not going to be match fit if you've missed that much footy especially for a bloke his size who already struggles to run out games.

I'm sorry for coming across as conceited and/or antagonistic though. I don't always do a good job of arguing my point and I probably spend too much time taking shots at people.

FWIW I do agree with you on Cloke though.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just think it was ridiculous to suggest Tom comes straight back in and then to defend it by stating that he's training. We both know that you're not going to be match fit if you've missed that much footy especially for a bloke his size who already struggles to run out games.
Fair enough, but he's played over 2 months of footy in the ruck already and was showing good signs of improvement from the Richmond R7 game onwards until the bye. Surely the club would've given him some sort of program to do in his own time while out with his depression so he keeps his fitness level up.

I don't buy what the club said about him not playing the Sydney game as he had a sore back or something, imo it was a deflector for his depression, it's not like he did a hammy or a quad or a knee or something and he can't run or ride the bike to keep his fitness up. When he's mentally ready he comes straight back in for me and it's as a key forward with one of Roughy/BTC as the main ruck.

Fair enough, but he's played over 2 months of footy in the ruck already and was showing good signs of improvement from the Richmond R7 game onwards until the bye. Surely the club would've given him some sort of program to do in his own time while out with his depression so he keeps his fitness level up.

I don't buy what the club said about him not playing the Sydney game as he had a sore back or something, imo it was a deflector for his depression, it's not like he did a hammy or a quad or a knee or something and he can't run or ride the bike to keep his fitness up. When he's mentally ready he comes straight back in for me and it's as a key forward with one of Roughy/BTC as the main ruck.

Fair enough. I'm just more of the opinion that he should be eased back in. Rushing him back in when he's underdone and having him underperform as a result isnt gonna be good for his mental health.

Going by the selections this year Suckling and Honeychurch will stay in even though they're not up to it, there will be another midget forward line allowing Hurley to have a picnic and a tall won't be brought in for Morris. I hope I'm wrong, but the selections have put the team on the back foot from the opening bounce all season so why would it stop now?

Essendon are a mediocre team and a mediocre club that no decent team should be losing to when you need to win.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm sorry for coming across as conceited and/or antagonistic though. I don't always do a good job of arguing my point and I probably spend too much time taking shots at people.
Just seen your edit

Don't worry about it, we all love your humourous take on many things

FWIW I do agree with you on Cloke though.
Hopefully he's ready as I see Hurley killing us if he's not kept accountable

I'm not that worried about Daniher to be honest, I reckon Wood/Cordy will give an honest account of him, Daniher is more of an athletic beast, Hooker is the one who I feel will get off the leash if our defensive mechanisms fail as he's a much better one on one contested mark than Daniher imo and he could do some damage if he's left isolated deep inside F50. Daniher likes to run onto things or have the ball kicked on his head, hence we see him take heaps of speccies, but I also feel he does his best work roaming around, Cordy can go with him.

Boyd probably has to come in with 36/2.

I wouldn't bring in a tall defender. Move Wood back to defense and focus on winning the midfield battle and especially the stoppages - that's the key to beating Essendon. Strangle their supply to their tall forwards, rather than try to match them all up with similar sized defenders.

I wouldn't bring in a tall defender. Move Wood back to defense and focus on winning the midfield battle and especially the stoppages - that's the key to beating Essendon. Strangle their supply to their tall forwards, rather than try to match them all up with similar sized defenders.
Stop our run out of defence out and you win. Richmond did brilliantly and even North did it in patches yesterday. If you let us run free expect a win similar to Port, West Coast and St Kilda. However you can never know for sure which Essendon will turn up.

How did Fletch go in the VFL? His numbers of 25 touches and a goal looks pretty decent. I think we need him next week to play on either Hooker or Stewart. Boyd and Webb both deserve a promotion but I really don't think there's anyone to come out.

I'd like to see:
In: Roberts, Webb
Out: Morris, Libba

Going by the selections this year Suckling and Honeychurch will stay in even though they're not up to it, there will be another midget forward line allowing Hurley to have a picnic and a tall won't be brought in for Morris. I hope I'm wrong, but the selections have put the team on the back foot from the opening bounce all season so why would it stop now?

Essendon are a mediocre team and a mediocre club that no decent team should be losing to when you need to win.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hmmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back