Strategy Changes vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be cautious about looking at VFL form, they were playing Manangatang Thirds.

(With due respect to Coburg, a decent, proud, if somewhat undermanned club. Don't know what those real VFA clubs have done to deserve what's currently happening.)

I like a good conspiracy theory as well as the next person so could it be that by selecting Honeychurch each week we are 'fattening him up for Christmas' - trying to increase his trade value by giving him a string of games? His form has been OK, but when first selected, it was arguably not as good as Webb's.
Like many of you, I still have doubts whether Webb can translate VFL form to AFL but by any measure he should be given at least a similar opportunity to Honeychurch.
If I was to ask which of these two players would you like to retain for next year, who would it be? Do we really want/need to keep Honeychurch on our list for another year or two? I know he gives us his best and all that but is this enough going forward, keeping in mind that both Dunkley and Jong have to find spots as forward/midfielders next season?
Perhaps not so much a conspiracy but more a Webb of intrigue.
I don't subscribe to this line of thinking, mainly for 2 reasons.

1. His VFL form warranted selection.
2. His AFL form hasn't warranted demotion.

I'd be so disappointed if Red gets rubbed out. From my perspective he simply gave as good as he got from Lynch (who was the antagonist and started a fight with a guy half his size, completely unprovoked). A couple of people in the game day thread were calling Redpath an idiot but we'd be a pretty spineless club if we didn't have a few blokes like Red who will stick up for their team mates.

Not having any combination of Boyd, Soup or English either available or ready to play is becoming brutal.

Roughead is a bottom 3 starting ruck in the league at the moment and we have no backup if he can't stay healthy.

I'd be so disappointed if Red gets rubbed out. From my perspective he simply gave as good as he got from Lynch (who was the antagonist and started a fight with a guy half his size, completely unprovoked). A couple of people in the game day thread were calling Redpath an idiot but we'd be a pretty spineless club if we didn't have a few blokes like Red who will stick up for their team mates.
I suspect it will be a fine/minor misdemeanor like woody's were. I also have no issue with woody or red or any other guy standing up for their teammates, within reason.

With that said, if they rub out Red for that, they've got to rub out a couple of melbourne guys and a couple of GWS guys for exactly the same act this round.

Scratchy memory but the camera angle they showed actually failed to show any contact as such. Obviously MRP will have other angles but I would be surprised if he gets done for it.

Scratchy memory but the camera angle they showed actually failed to show any contact as such. Obviously MRP will have other angles but I would be surprised if he gets done for it.

Despite Dermott and co's hyperventilating about the jumper punches, I couldn't see what all the fuss was about, ipso facto we can expect him to get 6 weeks.

I don't subscribe to this line of thinking, mainly for 2 reasons.

1. His VFL form warranted selection.
2. His AFL form hasn't warranted demotion.
I think you may have misinterpreted the gist of my post.
Firstly, the conspiracy theory was obviously a bit tongue in cheek and I didn't state that Honeychurch did not warrant selection. Rather, I compared his selection opportunities in relation to Webb and whether he (Honeychurch) is worthy of retention beyond this season.
Further, Honeychurch may be showing moderate form at the present but unlike Webb, he is getting plenty of opportunities to do so.

I'm done with Libba. In the last 4 matches, his possession count has been under 20 possessions. In two of those games he's had just the 13 possessions and he's no longer having big tackle numbers like he was at the start of the season. I understand Beveridge is trying to change the team as little as possible, but I think it's now at the stage where it would be quite unfair if Libba got a game over someone like Webb and this coming from someone that has little confidence in Webb's ability as an inside mid. I'd even prefer using Boyd as an inside mid over Libba.

I think you may have misinterpreted the gist of my post.
Firstly, the conspiracy theory was obviously a bit tongue in cheek and I didn't state that Honeychurch did not warrant selection. Rather, I compared his selection opportunities in relation to Webb and whether he (Honeychurch) is worthy of retention beyond this season.
Further, Honeychurch may be showing moderate form at the present but unlike Webb, he is getting plenty of opportunities to do so.
I'm not just referring to your post. There's a general feeling on the board that he shouldn't be playing.

I'm done with Libba. In the last 4 matches, his possession count has been under 20 possessions. In two of those games he's had just the 13 possessions and he's no longer having big tackle numbers like he was at the start of the season. I understand Beveridge is trying to change the team as little as possible, but I think it's now at the stage where it would be quite unfair if Libba got a game over someone like Webb and this coming from someone that has little confidence in Webb's ability as an inside mid. I'd even prefer using Boyd as an inside mid over Libba.

I've been more trying to keep an eye on Libbas attitude on field rather than his total disposals or tackle count to see if he seems disinterested or not. Celebrated after his goal on the weekend, was picking up a few of our boys off the deck etc after a tackle. but I am still waiting to see the Libba of 2016 where he would always try and get under the oppositions skin by pushing and shoving or verbally. He doesn't seem to be doing that this year so he definetly isn't the same. I thought he was average on the weekend until someone on foxfooty mentioned they thought he'd been good and was influencing the game.

Feeling the same. Libba at 100% is in the top five players on our team, but what we're getting from him at the moment is a very expendable performance. If an angry but still slightly out of shape Clay Smith is available, I'd be tempted to swap them as another option - at least we'll be getting some mongrel back in the team.

Bombre's talls are only an issue if we get beaten in the midfield. Win that battle and you stop supply.
Essendon can score heavily but also leak at the back.
Given up trying to predict selection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Despite Dermott and co's hyperventilating about the jumper punches, I couldn't see what all the fuss was about, ipso facto we can expect him to get 6 weeks.
I couldn't actually see any serious JPs going on either, even when they showed it a few times.

I suspect it's more about Dermie's hate for the Bulldogs. He was known for going the biff himself in his day (was suspended quite a few times including a 7-match stint for stomping) and usually when he's calling a match and someone clouts another player he says "nah, not much in that". That's the way he played it himself.

But when Redpath started facing up to Lynch at HT he said "ooh, they'll be having a close look at that one". His eyes must be a lot better than mine.
I suspect it will be a fine/minor misdemeanor like woody's were. I also have no issue with woody or red or any other guy standing up for their teammates, within reason.

With that said, if they rub out Red for that, they've got to rub out a couple of melbourne guys and a couple of GWS guys for exactly the same act this round.
MRP's code of offences and suspensions was supposed to improve fairness and transparency but there have been some puzzling ones where players have got off. Don't expect consistency. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they rubbed out Redpath and let others off for "insufficient impact" or some other BS.

Toby Greene's gotta go though!

Feeling the same. Libba at 100% is in the top five players on our team, but what we're getting from him at the moment is a very expendable performance. If an angry but still slightly out of shape Clay Smith is available, I'd be tempted to swap them as another option - at least we'll be getting some mongrel back in the team.

Clay is just as undeserving IMO. His form in the VFL this week wasn't great and he wasn't named as an emergency so I'd be surprised if this happened.

Clay is just as undeserving IMO. His form in the VFL this week wasn't great and he wasn't named as an emergency so I'd be surprised if this happened.

Fair enough. Webb's 30 touches and 4 goals (I think?) should see him in contention in that case. I'd hate to think that he's not getting a look in because the decision has been made to move him on, certainly not the worst talent to pull on the tricolours! Don't think Boyd is the right way to go though, he's already almost too slow at hbf, would be totally mobbed in the middle.

I couldn't actually see any serious JPs going on either, even when they showed it a few times.

I suspect it's more about Dermie's hate for the Bulldogs. He was known for going the biff himself in his day (was suspended quite a few times including a 7-match stint for stomping) and usually when he's calling a match and someone clouts another player he says "nah, not much in that". That's the way he played it himself.

But when Redpath started facing up to Lynch at HT he said "ooh, they'll be having a close look at that one". His eyes must be a lot better than mine.

MRP's code of offences and suspensions was supposed to improve fairness and transparency but there have been some puzzling ones where players have got off. Don't expect consistency. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they rubbed out Redpath and let others off for "insufficient impact" or some other BS.

Toby Greene's gotta go though!
I often wonder if the commentary team's input has undue influence. They are quick to jump in and hand out pre-judgements which they usen't to be allowed to do, iirc. Wasn't there a time when they weren't even allowed to replay incidents until after the tribunal got a look at it?

In - Roberts
Out - Morris

Cordy - Daniher
Young - Stewart
Roberts - Hooker

Simple really - we beat them in the midfield and we're a chance. Lose in the guts and we could lose by a lot. They certainly have holes in their side.

Based on recent decisions i think whether Red gets suspended or not depends entirely on whether he is in Brownlow contention.

Stop our run out of defence out and you win. Richmond did brilliantly and even North did it in patches yesterday. If you let us run free expect a win similar to Port, West Coast and St Kilda. However you can never know for sure which Essendon will turn up.
Good point. Then that's an argument for us to persevere with Honeychurch and to not play two tall, slow forwards. A top heavy forward line will be a liability.

I'm not just referring to your post. There's a general feeling on the board that he shouldn't be playing.
I dropped Honeychurch for this week, but rolled out that old
familiar chestnut of "Team Balance" which offends no one.
I prefer Webb as a forward as he is taller and can kick, but
it would not concern me if Honey plays. All i want to see is
a different forward dynamic, i loved Easton Wood forward
as that first quarter into the wind was quite good even
though he missed his two chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back