Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 11, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
In: Beams, Cox, Lyons, Mayes.
Out: Cameron, Lester, McCluggage, Christensen.

Hodge Gardiner Robertson
Witherden Andrews Cutler

Rich Beams Taylor

Mayes Hipwood C.Beams
Zorko McStay Cox

Foll: Martin, Robinson, Rayner

Lyons, Keays, O-Mac, Bailey.

Certainly a different set up, espicially up forward with Cameron down.

I’ve chosen Mayes to play as a link up player ala Tom Lynch.

Beams as the classy HFF who’s got a lovely kick. Something we really need when kicking inside 50.

With Cameron down and out I felt like Zorko should spend most of his time forward and rotate through the middle.

I’ve thrown Cox down there too. Really creative type with X Factor. Ideally, he’d be able to try an replicate a bit of what Cameron does for us up forward.

Lyons deserves a crack.

Berry stiff. Automatic in for mine. Cox not up to it yet... needs to win more of the hardballs at reserves for mine. Bell has been playing well in reserves I think he should be given one last chance. Fagan can't sprout "if you play well in reserves you get called up" if he continually bypasses our best player each week.

Was thinking it was time to trial Rayner For longer as a permanent mid and then this hit me, could we swing him to half back for a couple of games and see what he could do there, learning from Hodgey, while he's got the chance??

Outs- Charlie Cameron(lisfranc), Mitch Robinsone(toe), Ryan Lester(omitted), Oscar McInerney(omitted).

Ins- Cedric Cox, Sam Mayes, Josh Walker, Rhys Matheison.

Give Jarrod Berry another week off to go with the bye, with Berry still out we need Matheison in and under IMO, I still think he can make it as a reliable player at AFL level.

Berry stiff. Automatic in for mine. Cox not up to it yet... needs to win more of the hardballs at reserves for mine. Bell has been playing well in reserves I think he should be given one last chance. Fagan can't sprout "if you play well in reserves you get called up" if he continually bypasses our best player each week.

Berry if fit of course comes in. Certainly no rushing him back though.

Cox is more team structure and seems the type that rises to the level he plays at. He’s never really tore a game apart in the reserves.

Bell is Bell, I think we all know what we are going to get out of him in the seniors.

In: Beams, Cox, Lyons, Mayes.
Out: Cameron, Lester, McCluggage, Christensen.

Hodge Gardiner Robertson
Witherden Andrews Cutler

Rich Beams Taylor

Mayes Hipwood C.Beams
Zorko McStay Cox

Foll: Martin, Robinson, Rayner

Lyons, Keays, O-Mac, Bailey.

Certainly a different set up, espicially up forward with Cameron down.

I’ve chosen Mayes to play as a link up player ala Tom Lynch.

Beams as the classy HFF who’s got a lovely kick. Something we really need when kicking inside 50.

With Cameron down and out I felt like Zorko should spend most of his time forward and rotate through the middle.

I’ve thrown Cox down there too. Really creative type with X Factor. Ideally, he’d be able to try an replicate a bit of what Cameron does for us up forward.

Lyons deserves a crack.
Beams cant run ,and his selection weakens what ability we have to defend in the forward half and midfield. Ridiculous shuffling of the deck chair.He surely knows he wont be there next year .

Good chance Clugg and Berry will play by the sounds of things. If so and assuming Robbo & Bundy get up (absolute silence on Robbos toe) then we may just make the one change in Berry for Cameron. I really, really hope we bring Mayes in and trial him high half forward like in the NEAFL.

If Robbo's toe is broken, unlikely he will play this week. Lisfranc injury is a real concern for Cameron. Even if on the lesser side would seem to involve extended time out.

B: witherden Andrews Gardiner
Hb: Rayner cutler hodge
C: Zorko Robinson Keayes
Hf: Mayes hipwood bailey
F: mcinerney walker rich
Foll: Martin beams berry
Int: Robertson Taylor Lyons cox

In: Mayes berry Lyons walker cox
Out: mcluggage inj Cameron inj Christensen inj mcstay (got to harden up and learn he needs to get more of the pill) lester (never again please)

Good chance Clugg and Berry will play by the sounds of things. If so and assuming Robbo & Bundy get up (absolute silence on Robbos toe) then we may just make the one change in Berry for Cameron. I really, really hope we bring Mayes in and trial him high half forward like in the NEAFL.
we will make more than one change as we got flogged again through extremely poor first half.

B: witherden Andrews Gardiner
Hb: Rayner cutler hodge
C: Zorko Robinson Keayes
Hf: Mayes hipwood bailey
F: mcinerney walker rich
Foll: Martin beams berry
Int: Robertson Taylor Lyons cox

In: Mayes berry Lyons walker cox
Out: mcluggage inj Cameron inj Christensen inj mcstay (got to harden up and learn he needs to get more of the pill) lester (never again please)[/QUOT
we will make more than one change as we got flogged again through extremely poor first half.
According to Fagan on On The Couch Robinson will be out for a couple of games with a broken toe.

Out: Cameron, Robinson
In: Mayes, Cox

Mayes plays on the wing (especially if McCluggage misses)

Cox plays down back and Rich, Lester or even NRobbo play more midfield. If Berry is fit he comes in for Robbo and plays his usual role.

If Bundy misses perhaps Bastinac can play the same role. Or CBeams.

Don’t understand calling for McInerney to be dropped. Think he’s playing his role well and most weeks either McStay or Hipwood gets 5 or more shots on goal so the forward line is functioning ok.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unlikely to be this week but I'd like Lyons and Hinge to get a chance in the seniors at some stage this year. I'd like us to get another 5 or so games into Cox as well and with Cameron out there is an opportunity for Mayes to come in and make an impact in the forward line.

In: Mayes Berry Cox
Out: Cameron Robinson Lester

If McCluggage is out give Lyons or Hinge a go.

I'm with SizeMatters and think Tom Bell should come in for Robinson. He is the standout midfielder in the twos, whose form is way ahead of Mathieson and Lyons. He wins the ball at stoppages and his workrate is superior to the others. Hard to win games if you don't win the ball in the midfield. Still a big issue for us. Don't agree with the tendency on this board to write off players... if he's the best of those standing, then he should play. If our mids in the twos can't win games for us, then they're not magically & suddenly going to win them in the ones.

Mayes for Cameron makes sense. Travelling emergency who has been playing forward in the twos. Good kick into the 50.
If one of Berry or Mcluggage don't get up, then Lyons is next in line, imo.

Should trial mayes as a small pressure fwd this week since he already has a decent fwd craft

Out: Lester, Robinson, Cameron
In: CBeams, Mayes, Berry

FB: Robertson, Andrews, Gardiner
HB: Rich, Hodge, Witherden
C: Cutler, Zorko, Christensen
HF: CBeams, Hipwood, Mayes
FF: McStay, McInerney, DBeams
Foll: Martin, Berry, McCluggage
Int: Taylor, Keyes, Bailey, Rayner

Mayes, CBeams and DBeams in the forward line.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can we just delist Lester now? Was at the game on the weekend, he was so very slow and unreliable and these leadership qualities that everyone raves about were definitely not on show. Granted they were getting soundly beaten there was no words spoken just continual looks of dissapointment and lashing out at the umpires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outs- Charlie Cameron(lisfranc), Mitch Robinsone(toe), Ryan Lester(omitted), Oscar McInerney(omitted).

Ins- Cedric Cox, Sam Mayes, Josh Walker, Rhys Matheison.

Give Jarrod Berry another week off to go with the bye, with Berry still out we need Matheison in and under IMO, I still think he can make it as a reliable player at AFL level.

Can't see Oscar being omitted, he's both our best second ruck and more threatening up forward than either of the alternatives. Not just the goals he actively produces/is involved with but also by attracting more defensive effort to himself than Walker does. Best 22 right now for mine.

I'm with SizeMatters and think Tom Bell should come in for Robinson. He is the standout midfielder in the twos, whose form is way ahead of Mathieson and Lyons. He wins the ball at stoppages and his workrate is superior to the others. Hard to win games if you don't win the ball in the midfield. Still a big issue for us. Don't agree with the tendency on this board to write off players... if he's the best of those standing, then he should play. If our mids in the twos can't win games for us, then they're not magically & suddenly going to win them in the ones.

Mayes for Cameron makes sense. Travelling emergency who has been playing forward in the twos. Good kick into the 50.
If one of Berry or Mcluggage don't get up, then Lyons is next in line, imo.

Wow, so Mayes has been played as a forward in the 2s of late? Promising news if so!

I think it is too early in the year to write anyone off for senior selection, no matter how many chances they’ve had in the past. The coaches would be setting goals for each player. If a player exceeds those goals, then he should be in the selection frame. To do anything else runs the risk of unraveling a culture where you are rewarded for effort and performance.

Where I think the difference comes in is that the more mature players should be expected to do more to achieve and retain a spot in the senior side. In other words, each player’s goals should be individualised to where they are at in their careers. If Lyons and Bastinac have statistically identical games, then youth should be the tie breaker. But if Bastinac has a target of (say) 20% more tackles, pressure acts and contested possessions than Lyons, and he exceeds those targets, he should be in the selection frame.

The “he’s had enough chances at senior level” thing doesn’t really work for me. It might be ok in the last few games of the year but I think it establishes dangerous thinking in the group if certain players (often with informal leadership roles) believe they could put up Ablett-esque numbers and still not get a run in the seniors.

Last edited:
Cox and Berry the two obvious changes. Lester would be lucky to keep his place and might be time to bring Mayes in for game 100 and hope that milestone and a month in the NEAFL will see him play well - preferably up forward.

Out: Robinson and Cameron Injured, Lester omitted.

Bell (did I really say that) big body needed in the middle, been playing better in the 2's now a has keep his head down over the ball.
Cox replaces Cameron. It's a bit of like-for-like with great speed, kicks on both sides, cant hit a team mate but can find goals, and can offer pressure.
Mayes in for Lester where ever he was playing. Mayes also deserves a go in the forwards I think he is short on mongrel for the backline so lets see if we can reinvent him as a damaging half forward.

Outs- m robbo, cameron for sure
Lester, not up to afl now.
Bundy, we need to be sure with head injuries. Not worth the risk
Berry n clugg, id like to be conservative and look long term. Niggles can become serious if pushed.

Ins- bell, bastinac, mayes, cox, lyons.

Hodge, andrews, n robbo
Withers, gardiner, rich
Cutler, zorko, mayes
Martin, beams, bell
Bastinac, hipwood, rayner
Taylor, mcstay, bailey

Big O, cox, lyons, keays.

I see an argument for matho to come in but id like to see if lyons has anything to offer. I think the more games cox plays with hodge the better he will become and id rather see him play than lester. Mayes on the wing can push fwd or back, just hope he has his running shoes on. Bell plays inside and uses that big frame of his, hoping he can be as damaging as m robbo. Form probably warrants a shot, as does bastinac. He has been named as one of our best in the neafl more often than not this year, is good in front of goal and can add some versatility in the midfield. Brings a bit of maturity too.

Thats my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back