Changes vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy now after the Sutcliffe amendment. Would have gone Mayes over Bonner personally, but they each have their strengths and weaknesses. We are almost at best 22, with Butters to come back in for Farrell and Burton in for Bonner.

Do agree with the above though, could see Woodcock slotting in as a genuine crumbing small forward at the expense of either Ebert or Motlop. I get the feeling though that Ebert and Motlop contributing to a finals win is more likely than a four game small forward, so its worth trying to get them shipshape. Having said that Woodcock did blow the SANFL finals series apart in his draft year so maybe he could do that for us too.

The other potential for change would be Marshall for Georgiades. I loved what Marshall was bringing earlier this year, and if he gets back up to speed in time (which he should) he definitely complements Dixon and our game better. But George can slot in if Todd still isn't right.

Good selection pressure to have at this time of the year.

Woodcock was very unlucky to get dropped. Did absolutely nothing wrong. Definitely offered more over his last month of footy than Farrell or Motlop have done.

Last edited:
Big Footy emotional roller coaster.

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

2e226b7f5a58ea0afd38873b5360ba50.gif

rs_1024x576-130628145835-leonardodicapriowolfdance.gif

Content enough now that Sutcliffe is out, like most I'd have Woodcock over Farrell.

Bonner... Really not sure how he's a better option than Mayes at this stage. How many times are they going to drop and re-select him?

Ahh Bonner.... needs to up his hunt for the ball, and his run and carry from half back... I guess He is just warming Burtons spot for finals atm.

Will be interesting who Ken and co will go for out of Ebert, Motlop and Farell when Butters comes back in.

Happy with those changes. Everyone can melt over bonner v mayes v lienert but fact is they're all similar with weaknesses to their game.

The key change is back to 3 talls. Structurally we're back where we should be. Ladhams + lycett gives us a great ruck line and it should free up Marshall more to be the one kicking inside 50 where he's at his best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy with those changes. Everyone can melt over bonner v mayes v lienert but fact is they're all similar with weaknesses to their game.

The key change is back to 3 talls. Structurally we're back where we should be. Ladhams + lycett gives us a great ruck line and it should free up Marshall more to be the one kicking inside 50 where he's at his best.

I don't like that we're playing 3 talls.

(get Mitch out there and run 4!!)

I still hold some hope for Bonner. We had the same criticisms about Karl a few years ago and he is a similar type of player. Like others have mentioned he needs to play on the wing.
Finally a sensible comment about the kid.....bravo. Most of the haters who write garbage about Bonner are the same nutters that wrote about Karl. I just don't get the hate, its not warranted. Just back the kids they are going OK and we are top FFS!!

Almost, with Butters out out structure would be better suited with Woodcock as his replacement but otherwise it's pretty good.

Almost, with Butters out out structure would be better suited with Woodcock as his replacement but otherwise it's pretty good.

Dont agree with this - Ebert is taking that role because of how much midfield time Butters was playing lately. Woodcock would replace butters in the forward line but not up the ground.

I like it. Motlop, Farrell and Ebert battle for two spots as one of them has to go out for Butters. Bonner goes straight out for Burton or if he plays extremely badly this week Mayes or Lienert replace him for Collingwood.

If Motlop only gets 5 kicks like his normal gone missing do nothing type game, how about he at least put 10 tackles on his opponents.

Considering more than half this board were willing to character assisinate Ollie Wines for his "unprofessional" water skiing accident, this after 6 very good seasons for us, it is amazing how many of them hold a candle for "I've wasted my talent by being an uncommitted soft campaigner for 95% of my career" Jack Watts. Truly amazing.
You left out the fact that the love for Watts is because of his performance in a game against the Demons. That half the board lambasts Ken about for claiming it as "his best win ever".

Finally a sensible comment about the kid.....bravo. Most of the haters who write garbage about Bonner are the same nutters that wrote about Karl. I just don't get the hate, its not warranted. Just back the kids they are going OK and we are top FFS!!

Amon was criticized when he was playing terribly and then was praised when he improved. That’s how it should work.

If Motlop only gets 5 kicks like his normal gone missing do nothing type game, how about he at least put 10 tackles on his opponents.

If Motlop got even close to half that many tackles a game I couldn't give a stuff how many possessions he has, as he would clearly be involved in the play and the touches would naturally come in time.

Dont know how anyone can give Ebert flack. Puts his head into every contest literally which is why he gets concussed more often. Port Adelaide through and through. A mature strong body whos tackles actually stick compared to other forward options motlop farrell etc.

Watch his aggression and overhead ability vs hawks. We need a player like him in finals where the pressure is hot and a calm head needed not flakey s**t the bed inconsistent types.

Happy with the changes.

Shame that we really don't have any pressure coming from our draftees to replace Farrell or Motlop. Bergman and Williams both drafted for those small forward roles and 1 is now training as a Backman and the other hasn't got up to speed fitness wise.

Happy we resisted the temptation to bring in Westy though, Ladhams is the future and needs to be played.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back