Preview Changes vs Foot/Dalgleish/Williamson (weagles)

Remove this Banner Ad

Fantastic ins.

I’m happy for Turner to have a rest and possibly redefine his role in the VFL for a week or three now that Higgins and Garner are rotating and applying pressure through the forward line.

Durdin and Tarrant have their work cut out for them but it’s arguable that Marley and Jasper have just as difficult a task. Those WCE small/medium forwards are as lethal as any in the comp.

Will we miss LMac?

Call me an optimist but i think we’ll take it right up to them and from there it’s anyone’s game

For those who complain about young players not getting a go, in this case Ben McKay, once upon a time nearly every player served an apprenticeship in the seconds/reserves. In many cases long apprenticeships set up players for good/great careers.

Two wonderful examples were Tucky and Dipper at the Hawks. Played many games at seconds level then went on to have wonderful long premiership winning careers.

I too would like to see Ben Mckay get more chances at senior level, but if the selection committee see the value of keeping him back at this stage, then in my opinion, fair enough.

Some here show far too much impatience in my view.

Why would we want to keep a player who is not even considered when all other options for his position are injured? We clearly don't rate him and would be happy to take any trade. I say good luck to Ben. He deserved a chance but we aren't giving it to him.
Not sure who you are talking about when you say ALL other options in his position are injured??

He’s playing on Kennedy, who has struggled all year and would hardly be called pivotal. Up to him to prove he deserves to be in the team which I’m confident he will.

Biggest weakness is speed off the mark and that will be tested big time.
Needs other defenders to give him a chop out

For those who complain about young players not getting a go, in this case Ben McKay, once upon a time nearly every player served an apprenticeship in the seconds/reserves. In many cases long apprenticeships set up players for good/great careers.

Two wonderful examples were Tucky and Dipper at the Hawks. Played many games at seconds level then went on to have wonderful long premiership winning careers.

I too would like to see Ben Mckay get more chances at senior level, but if the selection committee see the value of keeping him back at this stage, then in my opinion, fair enough.

Couldn’t agree more.. too many around here wanna throw players out because they aren’t getting games straight away... all good teams have their young players learn their craft in VFL, especially talls, whom generally take longer to develop.
But hey let’s chuck him out & pick another unknown... 🤷🏻‍♂️

Durds is much taller/longer reach, just as athletic and as strong as Darling.

If our mids can break even then he will be in good shape to win this match up.

The only question would be Durdins tank. I can’t recall ever reading or hearing about his running capability. I have no idea if Durdin can run all day or will blow up in the 3rd.

What do you think?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only question would be Durdins tank. I can’t recall ever reading or hearing about his running capability. I have no idea if Durdin can run all day or will blow up in the 3rd.

What do you think?
He’ll be fine if he stays on Kennedy for 4 qtrs.
Not sure if Kennedy is injured or just having a bad run, but he certainly won’t outrun Durds. Might out reach him, but not out run him.

He’ll be fine if he stays on Kennedy for 4 qtrs.
Not sure if Kennedy is injured or just having a bad run, but he certainly won’t outrun Durds. Might out reach him, but not out run him.

Whilst it’ll probably be more fluid with Tarrant & Durdin alternating on Kennedy & Darling, I reckon Durdin is better suited for Darling. Outreach him? Durdin is about 198cm, how tall is Kennedy? Imo it would be craft and experience that Kennedy has over Durdin. He’s a very smart forward.

Whilst it’ll probably be more fluid with Tarrant & Durdin alternating on Kennedy & Darling, I reckon Durdin is better suited for Darling. Outreach him? Durdin is about 198cm, how tall is Kennedy? Imo it would be craft and experience that Kennedy has over Durdin. He’s a very smart forward.
Darling is far too strong for Durdin and certainly has better acceleration. Don’t think that’s an option.

Durdin always surprises me with how tall he is. Certainly doesnt move like a guy only one inch shorter than Goldy.

Darling is far too strong for Durdin and certainly has better acceleration. Don’t think that’s an option.

Is Darling stronger then Kennedy? I’d be surprised.
Durdin always surprises me with how tall he is. Certainly doesnt move like a guy only one inch shorter than Goldy.

Yeah I know. He played his best footy in the ruck in the U18’s which was a bit of a knock on him at the time. It was part of the reason he slid to late first round, the concern being he could never be an afl ruck, and never really cemented a forward or back spot. He’s very agile for a big fella, quick with a nice leg. He was always a boom or bust selection. Looks like he’s going to make the grade, so rapt with him.

I think Kennedy plays too close to goal for Durdin to be a viable option. Darling tends to roam more so can probably rotate several guys on him.

Either way it will all come down to pressure up the ground - if we get beaten around the contest like the last two weeks it won't matter how the defensive match-ups are.

Tuck was playing regular senior footy by the time he was 21 in 1974. He also kicked 60 goals in the 2nds at full forward in 1971 but Peter Hudson was in his way.

McKay is 21 now, put in a very solid year in the VFL last year but Tarrant, Thompson and Daw were ahead of him and fair enough. This year Durdin has moved past him for now but who is actually playing as our 3rd tall defender against West Coast? Macmillan showed 2 weeks ago he cannot play that position and Pittard - although better at it - is too small for that job and shouldn't be asked to do it.

Maybe McKay's form has been poor the last two weeks - he's played enough good footy at VFL level to be given a chance especially when we're depleted.

Couldn’t agree more.. too many around here wanna throw players out because they aren’t getting games straight away... all good teams have their young players learn their craft in VFL, especially talls, whom generally take longer to develop.
But hey let’s chuck him out & pick another unknown... 🤷🏻‍♂️

Listen, I'm not throwing him out. But if he wants to try his luck elsewhere, I see no reason why this club would stand in his way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back