Changes vs Fremantle - Round 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Towards the end of last year when the form improved they had two rucks, in Trengrove and Roughy, a genuine key back Naughton, and a key forward in Schache. It worked ok. Fair enough Schache’s form dropped off and they had to drop him, but for crying out loud bring in appropriate players to ensure the structure is maintained.
i think bevo's current philiosophy is to only play one ruck so that we an extra runner thus giving us more run in the midfield. don't think it is working all that well.

How much better does this team look than the one we've selected.
They're all fit Bevo.....

B: Wood Naughton Crozier
HB: JJ Cordy Williams
C: Lipinski Libba Hunter
HF: Mclean Trengrove Dickson
F: Lloyd Schache Gowers
Foll: English Bont McCrae
Int: Wallis Dunkley Lynch Daniel

Out: Richards, B Smith, Young, Hayes (Richards/Young to the backline, Smith & Hayes on the ball in VFL until they're better than someone in that position)
In: Lipinski, Trengrove, Schache, Lynch

A bit harsh on Smith, his workrate has been better than half our "star mids" and he has gradually improved each week, where everyone else has been up and down. A decent kick and has decent leg speed, which the rest of our slow plodders do not.

The three biggest criticisms of our midfield by AFL fans and media have been foot skills, work rate and lack of pace. Smith ticks all three, and has won a few clearances as well. Yes he hasn't been hugely impactful on the game, yes he needs to find more of the ball, but first year players tend to struggle with both. I'd be dropping a Dunk or a Wallis first.

Agree with the rest though.

Drop Wood - he has been s**t for a while. Put Lynch back, or Williams - Lynch at HBF.

Swap Trengove to FF, Schache to CHF.

Macrae to wing, Dunkley on ball, Lipinski to int (primarily forward).

Smith or Richards comes in for Wood.

In fact, on form I would drop Gowers too - play Smith up forward and Richards on bench.

B: Williams Naughton Crozier
HB: JJ Cordy Lynch
C: Macrae Libba Hunter
HF: Maclean Schache Smith
F: Dickson Trengove Lloyd

R: English Bont Dunkley

I: Richards, Daniel, Wallis, Lipinski

i think bevo's current philiosophy is to only play one ruck so that we an extra runner thus giving us more run in the midfield. don't think it is working all that well.

To have an extra runner, someone needs to run

Billy gowers costs us at least 3-4 goals a game with his poor set shot conversion. Cannot afford this anymore with the fast kick in rules etc.

Drop Wood - he has been s**t for a while. Put Lynch back, or Williams - Lynch at HBF.

In fact, on form I would drop Gowers too - play Smith up forward and Richards on bench.

Macrae to wing? Don’t agree with that one but all the rest seems pretty sensible.

Billy gowers costs us at least 3-4 goals a game with his poor set shot conversion. Cannot afford this anymore with the fast kick in rules etc.

It's a shame he's so unreliable as he usually does all the hard work before it. Kick straight & he'd be a 50+ goal a year forward

Just seen the side

But it’s not stopping me selecting mine for what’s its worth

B: Roberts, Lewis Young, Crozier

HB: Cordy, Trengove, Wood

C: McCrae Wallis, Hunter

HF: Mclean, Naughton, Dickson

F: Lloyd, Schache, Boyd

Foll: English, Bont, Libba

Int: Sweet, Dunkley, Richards, JJ

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Understand the calls to drop wood but as our premiership captain who’s been forced to play on key forwards all year I’d back him a little longer. Bring in at least one more key back and let wood play his natural game (I.e 3rd tall who can drop off)

Fair call on smith but it won’t hurt his development to go back & play pure midfield. Same with Richards except in the backline. I’m over seen young players getting pushed into the side with no regard to structure (I.e Hayes & young)

With my bench I’d have Dunkley & Wallis rotating through midfield, Daniel rotating forward/mid & Lynch rotating back. Just want to get some structure and settle the team- it’s a bloody dogs breakfast at the moment!

It's a shame he's so unreliable as he usually does all the hard work before it. Kick straight & he'd be a 50+ goal a year forward

I’ve been looking back through the stats for the last few games. We’ve got multiple players who have over 20 possessions and kick a score of 0.0. We must surely lead the league in this stat. Possies/goals ratio. There must be teams who get half their goals from midfielders. Wallis & Libba chip in here and there, Macrae snags one every half dozen games.

Suckling kicks more from defence.

So it’s easy to blame Bont & Gowers for inaccuracy but at least they’re having a pop. I see Gowers doing lots of hard running in the forward 50, maybe our mids could help him out by having a shot once in a blue moon

How the f did Young get another game?

Bit hard to judge truly on one game isn't it? Bont could play one stinker, and then the next 4 games are good ones, imagine we dropped him after that first one? Considering Bevo is coaching for the future and not now, can see why he has given him another chance now that the nerves of game one are past, he was average, but not as bad as another of our defenders who got beaten more.

Bit hard to judge truly on one game isn't it? Bont could play one stinker, and then the next 4 games are good ones, imagine we dropped him after that first one? Considering Bevo is coaching for the future and not now, can see why he has given him another chance now that the nerves of game one are past, he was average, but not as bad as another of our defenders who got beaten more.
Why do so many posters state this as an undeniable fact?
If it is true he will lose / have lost senior players and should be sacked immediately

Because a good coach wouldn't bring a rookie into the side and only give them one game (their debut) to prove themselves. If he's shown enough to get a call up then he deserves at least a couple of games.

I agree that he deserves a couple of games, but really he wasn’t dominating VFL level.

Pretty unfair on guys like Lipinski who has been.

Why do so many posters state this as an undeniable fact?
If it is true he will lose / have lost senior players and should be sacked immediately

Because he actually said it himself a couple of weeks back in a post match press conference? That its all about the future now. Nothing to do with what posters have said. Simply repeating his own words

I agree that he deserves a couple of games, but really he wasn’t dominating VFL level.

Pretty unfair on guys like Lipinski who has been.

Lipinski will get his chance eventually. Besides I have a feeling only a small few actually watch VFL, and the majority are going by the stats sheet and assume he has been great every game. Could be something to his game that doesn't satisfy the coaches at this point in time. There will be a reason he hasn't played yet, not because he is being ignored. Remember he was probably almost our worst player in JLT as well, could have played a part in the coaches wanting to see more on a consistent basis first.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back