Changes vs Fremantle - Round 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Deserved to be dropped. If he was to sook about it then so be it.

Like the change. Roberts hopefully travels with the team.
Wasn’t our best but he wasn’t alone.

He played his best footy as a back flanker, which is what we now need, yet have played him on ball all year.

He is also pretty handy in the air which we are going to need v Freo

Hence my comment about those guys mentioned getting Ayce Cordy treatment of about 6-8 consecutive weeks of games even though he was putrid
English was in our top 5 or 6 players last week. Richards has be below his best but he's a future star and gaining experience. Dunkley is filling roles left, right and centre... down on statistical output but contributes where Bev asks and although not a star, Gowers has shown more this year than Ayce did across 5 seasons.

I don't care about young playing, debutants should be given at least two games in a row first up.
But far out how on earth richards is still getting a game along with wallis?
Considering a silky, good user of the ball in Lipinski is killing it in the vfl.

Dont get me started on Wood, but i will rest my doubts as we are inexperienced down back without suckling and duryea.

English was in our top 5 or 6 players last week. Richards has be below his best but he's a future star and gaining experience. Dunkley is filling roles left, right and centre... down on statistical output but contributes where Bev asks and although not a star, Gowers has shown more this year than Ayce did across 5 seasons.
I think you are missing the point about the Ayce Cordy treatment can someone please explain it to him?

I get your point. I'm saying I think you're wrong.
Until last week, Richards was terrible and should’ve been dropped weeks ago, most on here agree with that, Gowers is one of the best marks for a bloke his size in the league, but his goal kicking is a complete liability and he shouldn’t be in the side in front of players like Lipinski. Dunkley likewise. If Williams is gonna get dropped for a poor performance playing midfield, then Dunkley should be dropped for poor performances as a forward. Simple. Bevo plays favorites and it’s a bloody joke

Until last week, Richards was terrible and should’ve been dropped weeks ago, most on here agree with that, Gowers is one of the best marks for a bloke his size in the league, but his goal kicking is a complete liability and he shouldn’t be in the side in front of players like Lipinski. Dunkley likewise. If Williams is gonna get dropped for a poor performance playing midfield, then Dunkley should be dropped for poor performances as a forward. Simple. Bevo plays favorites and it’s a bloody joke
Perhaps. Perhaps not.
None are getting the Cordy treatment though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Bev pushes Naughton to defence and it looks likely then I’m officially in the “get rid of Bev” camp.

3 weeks ago he talked about how the move forward was so that we could win games rather than try to save them. Why the complete 360.

Not picking another key defender is criminal.

If all we see this weekend is the resting ruck forward surrounded by the usual “inside mids that lack X factor” then I think sacking Bev is the right call to make.

Bet Trengove goes back and Naughton forward.

Still ..

Trengove was awful at the pointy ends of the ground last year, he looked all at sea. It wasn't until he took up the Ben Hudson type role that he found his mojo again.

Cannot believe only 1 change. Bevo’s has lost the plot. No forwards coming in is a joke. Agree Naughton has to go back as he is our best defender by a country mile and our supply to the forward line will destroy his confidence but Schache should be back as the lead up forward. Glad English has some help.

Very concerning if Naughton plays back. Bont is our best mid, we don’t want him FF. I am hoping Roberts or Schache are a late in.

Maybe Trengove or English plays resting forward.

Cordy to Taberner
Wood to Hogan
Crozier to McCarthy?
Let’s hope their foot skills are horrendous or it rains!

Another poor selection. If Bailey Williams leaves at the end of this year I wouldn't blame him. Just play him in his position. Trengove in is good but there are others I would have dropped before Williams.

The season starts with a game style developed in a pre-season. The coaches then can't change it for fear of losing the players and retribution from media.

They then get stuck in this mode of just selling hope to the players. It's usually expressed as "our effort was good" or "we're winning the inside 50s" and then they add in some cliched bullshit about contested footy as though it's a game plan.

They then just wait for it to turn. Sometimes, you get lucky playing some s**t opponents and you get to play yourselves back into form - not in the dogs’ case. Sometimes you don't get so lucky and lose the season and then need to hope your board is dumb enough to believe in stability for the sake of stability (with some shiny new assistants) - not in the dog’s case.

From what I can see Bevo suffers from the opposite problem that most coaches do. There is no consistency or plan.

My heart sunk before the season started when Bont went on the Hot Breakfast and said that he game plan has not changed much since 2018.

If I was Bailey Williams I’d leave.

Plays great footy as HBF. For some strange reason trains all pre season as a mid. Comes in for one game as a mid, gets dropped while players who have been given ample opportunities to perform and haven’t. Gowers, Dunkley, Wallis, Richards etc.

If that’s the forward line we roll with then we’re no hope at kicking a score.

The season starts with a game style developed in a pre-season. The coaches then can't change it for fear of losing the players and retribution from media.

They then get stuck in this mode of just selling hope to the players. It's usually expressed as "our effort was good" or "we're winning the inside 50s" and then they add in some cliched bullshit about contested footy as though it's a game plan.

They then just wait for it to turn. Sometimes, you get lucky playing some s**t opponents and you get to play yourselves back into form - not in the dogs’ case. Sometimes you don't get so lucky and lose the season and then need to hope your board is dumb enough to believe in stability for the sake of stability (with some shiny new assistants) - not in the dog’s case.

From what I can see Bevo suffers from the opposite problem that most coaches do. There is no consistency or plan.

My heart sunk before the season started when Bont went on the Hot Breakfast and said that he game plan has not changed much since 2018.
It was concerning that the game style hadn’t been developed during pre-season, we literally stumbled across Naughton forward after JLT 1 was so bad.

We’d want to be reverting to the chip, chip, chip game with this forward line.

I’d rather we picked Young or Roberts than moved Naughton back to defence.
I can only see English/Trengove being our forward targets when the other is resting from the ruck.

Bont better not play any more than 80/20 up forward.

I can only suggest why lipinski isn't playing this week is because we need run and carry on the big perth ground.

In the space of 6 games we have had 3 different KPP structures

R1-4 (2 defenders, 1 ruck, 1 KPF, 1KPF/2r)
R5 (1 defender, 1 ruck, 1 KPF)
R6 (1 defender 1 ruck, 1KPF/2r, swingman?)

I just don’t understand this. Surely before seasons commence the coaching group sit down and identify the structure they will use throughout the season. Granted an injury crisis or weather might mean you go smaller, but as of this stage we have had neither. Granted someone like Schache deserved to be dropped but that doesn’t mean you throw structure out the window. Simply you find someone capable of performing that role to a higher standard.

Apart from one horrendous quarter against Gold Coast, we actually played really well across the first four rounds. Why the **** then do we change the formula. Particularly the forward structure. I can understand maybe going smaller in defence pending matchups but their is no reason to have a constantly changing structure up forward.

Edit: I just realised that Lewis young went in and out of the side. Round 1 and 4 we only went with one KPD. So actually it’s 5/6 games we have gone with different KPP numbers.

If this is such a successful theory why aren’t any other clubs in the afl using it. Other clubs don’t have a revolving structure across the ground. They simply replace like for like if a tall isn’t playing to standard.

Some blame has to rest on our list management team. They did a disgraceful job of doing absolutely nothing when we just had a KPP exodus. But their are still options their to replace under achievers. Bev seems to brain dead to realise and I’m confident it’s going to be a big factor in the success of this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back