Strategy Changes vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't complain at all. The changes many of asked for, and addressing the areas we've been critiquing.

Feel for young Petty, but he knew, and he'll learn
I'd honestly feel more sorry for Petty if he played this weekend, because Freo would target all their F50 entries through him. Poor dude dropped his head big time when he missed the ball. He got a chance, it backfired, best for all concerned that we don't even consider him for selection for another 12 months.

I'm not worried about Petty, special players have sucked balls in their first game.
Johnno brown had donuts in his first and he might have been the most physically ready player on debut ever.

Needs some more gym time obviously.
im with ya on that. he was talked up as a chance for round 1 or early selection. been good in VFL and was close for few weeks before he finally got picked. he wasnt just plucked out of nowhere. what other club would hang a first gamer out to dry like that? poor campaigner had no chance

Will be really interesting to see how the team performs this week. One of only a couple times in Goody’s career that this board has been almost unanimously please with changes.

You’ll either be vindicated, or will have to stfu about “lost at selection” every week from now on!

Either way, I’ll be stoked

Time to make a statement at selection.

Out: ANB, Hannan, Tyson, Petty, Lewis, Petracca
In: Baker, Garlett, Vince, Frost, Spargo, Stretch

I'm fairy pleased, not just that 4 guys I wanted in are in, but more so around the number of changes. I think Weid is a bit stiff, showed a bit, and I would have loved to have seen Oskar, but my main want was a statement and while they're not 'statement' names out, 4 changes is great.

We will be so much better without having to carry Weid, Petty and Tyson. Those three were totally ineffectual against the Saints. I’m not convinced about Stretch but he deserves another shot. He’s running out of hances though. He can’t keep yo-yoing out of the side after one game. I reckon Dom is done. I can’t see any interest st the trade table either.

We will be so much better without having to carry Weid, Petty and Tyson. Those three were totally ineffectual against the Saints. I’m not convinced about Stretch but he deserves another shot. He’s running out of hances though. He can’t keep yo-yoing out of the side after one game. I reckon Dom is done. I can’t see any interest st the trade table either.
I still think there's a spot for dom on an afl list. I think maybe Carlton might benefit from him could release cripps more not sure what they're willing to pay. Petty has got his taste now he knows what's required. Not sure what to think with weid don't watch any vfl. I think we go too tall anyway and this is in Darwin.

6044DDF7-C4C7-45D2-ADD8-07E54AE5DFBC.jpeg
Is Purple on Goody’s payroll? There was a time when this bloke couldn’t bear to say a positive thing about us, now he spews more propaganda then Mr Journey himself.

Seems to be a popular in but i'm still not sure as to what Garlett has done to get a recall. Wasn't exactly knocking the door down at Casey and i know we need pace but what good is it if it's not backed by a tenacious mentality. Really hope he leaves me with egg on my face but part of me would have been happy to see Weid get a little bit of a run at it and maybe allow the kid to build some confidence. Getting yo-yoed in and out of the team can't be helping him at all and he didn't completely suck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just saw Freo's changes, was hoping Brad Hill wouldn't make it back this week. Exactly the kind of player that will kill us with his transition and running between the 50's. Predicting 20 kicks for him with 3 goals and 2 goal assists.

Seems to be a popular in but i'm still not sure as to what Garlett has done to get a recall. Wasn't exactly knocking the door down at Casey and i know we need pace but what good is it if it's not backed by a tenacious mentality. Really hope he leaves me with egg on my face but part of me would have been happy to see Weid get a little bit of a run at it and maybe allow the kid to build some confidence. Getting yo-yoed in and out of the team can't be helping him at all and he didn't completely suck.
I watched the Casey game on TV last week and thought Garlett harassed and pressured very well. I can't comment on the other games he has played though.

The other thing is the amount of I50's and tall targets differ between Casey and AFL. In the last 3 weeks we have had 3 talls and 3 mid sized marking forwards with contested half-forward mids rotating though and a huge amount of long bomb I50's. Everyone is sucked into the contest, whereas Garlett might have stayed on the outer of the packs, at least putting pressure on the outlet defender who usually got an easy handball receive to clear it out of defence.

I dunno, I reckon Tyson would be a good acquisition for either Carlton or one of the Queensland clubs. He’s a decent player, he just doesn’t add anything to our side when we already have Oliver and Viney and when he’s in the team with both of them our midfield is way too one dimensional and slow. He’s capable of playing games like his vs Hawthorn in 2016, and you’d hate it if he played like that against us, especially if we let him go for peanuts. We should try and get a late second rounder for him, about what we got for Watts. They are similar players, limited players with obvious weaknesses but can be good on their day.

Endurance players are worth their weight in gold in Darwin.

I don't think a team has ever produced a 4 quarter effort in Darwin conditions. Usually if one team gets a jump early, they fatigue in the second half and the other team gets back. Don't usually get blow outs in Darwin, even if the quality of teams is good v poor.

I watched the Casey game on TV last week and thought Garlett harassed and pressured very well. I can't comment on the other games he has played though.

The other thing is the amount of I50's and tall targets differ between Casey and AFL. In the last 3 weeks we have had 3 talls and 3 mid sized marking forwards with contested half-forward mids rotating though and a huge amount of long bomb I50's. Everyone is sucked into the contest, whereas Garlett might have stayed on the outer of the packs, at least putting pressure on the outlet defender who usually got an easy handball receive to clear it out of defence.
I watched the game on TV too and thought that he did a decent job in the pressuring and harassing role but again was in and out of the game and wasn't a standout auto select for my mind. I see him and Weid drift in and out of the games in the same capacity, and lay roughly the same amount of tackles, so i guess i was just thinking that maybe a young fella might get a reasonable crack to show he can make it as opposed to a sesoned veteran that has had a good crack at it and picks and chooses when he wants to be involved. I agree that we need the outlier so I'm not unhappy Garlett is an inclusion, i just want to see him do what is expected of him for longer...mayhe even a whole game. Can't say I've ever seen that.
Cue him kicking 6 from the crumb and pressure turnovers and me happily eating the egg up. Win win cos i bloody love eggs.

He is clearly the 6th forward but Trac is really lucky.

Melk Harrmes ANB and Lever were given time to get out of slumps but Tracs good form is the outlier in his career so far.
Lever I feel you, Melksham I kind of get you, but ANB and Harmes have proven no more than Petracca. I'd have had all three dropped at times this season.

Agree re: Garlett. The other fringe players at the club have to bash the door down at VFL level to get a look in, but Garlett can play like pus and get a free ride in because he has pace. Baker is a young, inexperienced kid and he manages to have an impact at VFL level - reward that rather than the seasoned player who CBF in the magoos.

Not "happy" to see Weid dropped, but we need more leg speed in the side. Feel like Hannan is a little unlucky as well. Very quiet last week but otherwise has been a contributor week to week, and its odd to drop him for a bloke who has been doing less at a lower level.

Lever I feel you, Melksham I kind of get you, but ANB and Harmes have proven no more than Petracca. I'd have had all three dropped at times this season.

ANB has the best work rate with Gawn at the club and Harmes has bloody good quarters every so often and talent aside has been better than Trac this year. On a talent level vs output Tracs probably been one of the more disappointing in the AFL.

In his 3 seasons how many match winning quarters has he played as opposed to Harmes? His body shape was always gonna take longer to develop AFL level fitness but he is hardly impacting this year.

It's going to be 28-24 degrees with 50% humidity when we play. Needs to be an emphasis on fit players with clean hands.

Drop Petty and Weid because they don't fit the bill. Hannan had a shocker so bring in Jeffy. Tyson's DE is just too s**t and he can't play on a wing so he needs to go as well.

Out: Weid, Petty, Hannan, Tyson

In: Spargo, Jeffy, ????, ??? <- Frost is fit, but rarely clean, probably the most experienced we have. Stretch also fit, but not clean when its wet from what I have seen. No idea how Baker would go, but think the wings with Spargo and Baker would be too inexperienced and would get sucked in.

Either you are Simon Goodwin or you are Nostradamus

Remove this Banner Ad

Back