Changes vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Candiru

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I would disagree. I think Oscar is Schofield, waterman Vardy back up upgrade all in one. He can play anywhere if we need him. So unless injured, he stays in.He can play third tall upfront if we need it. He can go back and help out backs and he can also pinch hit ruck. He is starting to become our x factor all of a sudden.
Surely the long-term plan has to be for Allen to play as a key forward. If you have a kid with that kind of talent and they're versatile enough to be used in a variety of roles, surely key forward is the most valuable spot for him to fill. We shouldn't need him to pinch hit in the ruck or play as a third tall in defence. We will however need another genuine target in attack once JK finishes.

wc_eagles_since86

Team Captain
Apr 25, 2019
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, Liverpool
Surely the long-term plan has to be for Allen to play as a key forward. If you have a kid with that kind of talent and they're versatile enough to be used in a variety of roles, surely key forward is the most valuable spot for him to fill. We shouldn't need him to pinch hit in the ruck or play as a third tall in defence. We will however need another genuine target in attack once JK finishes.

He's being groomed for a JK spot once he (sadly) goes.
I think all of the juggling with positions is so Allen can keep building experience, in various roles, so he doesn't lose his spot or relevance. He seems to be proving himself valuable enough in almost any role: which means he keeps his spot and he can sure up any vacancies and add a wild-card to the mix whenever needed.

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Bailey Williams

Aug 27, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi
979a713a3d25d7273a6807bcc3df6e8d.jpg

“I hate Masten.”
“Well I hate Masten more.”
“You fool, I am the best Eagles fan, I hate Masten the most.”

Nobody likes Chris Masten, are we seriously going to do this every week until the MC change their mind? Every ******* week with the circle jerk about who thinks he’s worse.

Honeybadger loves Masten!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
He's being groomed for a JK spot once he (sadly) goes.
I think all of the juggling with positions is so Allen can keep building experience, in various roles, so he doesn't lose his spot or relevance. He seems to be proving himself valuable enough in almost any role: which means he keeps his spot and he can sure up any vacancies and add a wild-card to the mix whenever needed.
Would like to see him be kicking bags in the WAFL as a key forward. Haven't really seen that yet. Are we not stalling his forward craft by not allowing him to play as the focal point?

LittleGreekGod

Club Legend
Dec 24, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Would like to see him be kicking bags in the WAFL as a key forward. Haven't really seen that yet. Are we not stalling his forward craft by not allowing him to play as the focal point?
No, I don’t think so.
I believe that we are grooming him to become the perfect footballer.

wc_eagles_since86

Team Captain
Apr 25, 2019
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, Liverpool
There's always time for that. Plus, he's super young and that'd make him more of a one-trick pony. I think as the time for Kennedy gets closer to retire, they'll ramp up his bag-kicking part. I could be wrong as it's speculation at best.

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
I know this gets done every single week, but I just can't help but try to imagine what the coaching staff sees in Masten that's so important for him to remain in the team.

Schofield very, very unlucky to be omitted when he is actually playing some good footy

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
We really should win.

But the fact Freo have been able to beat Collingwood and GWS at their home grounds says that on their day they can be extremely dangerous.

They also lost to Carlton and Gold Coast which tells me they need motivation to win games (a bit like Port of late)

Not many bigger reasons for lifting than a derby after a horrible loss to the bottom team at home.

I hope we are switched on because in no way will this be a walk in the park.

Eagles by 11 after an arm wrestle and nervy moments.

Go Eagles

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

darksquare

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2016
Edgewater
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Hutchins is best 22, Masten comes out.
Ideally you swing Rioli up the ground when he’s fully fit.
Cameron looks the goods but he’ll fade quickly in 2019 and Petch will come back in. His raw pace is differential.
Oscar Allen can’t second ruck alongside Nic and has been ineffective as a third tall. I’d prefer someone smaller, or more mobile.

Eventually Simmo will land on a fully fit best 22. Maybe just in time for September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I reckon that’s 100% right.
Hutchings for Masten, Petruccelle for Cameron, Waterman for Allen.
Waterman isn’t a better player than Allen, but he fits our structure better. With 2 key forwards, 2 rucks and 2 key backs inked in, I think Allen’s surplus to requirements.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
No, I don’t think so.
I believe that we are grooming him to become the perfect footballer.
There's always time for that. Plus, he's super young and that'd make him more of a one-trick pony. I think as the time for Kennedy gets closer to retire, they'll ramp up his bag-kicking part. I could be wrong as it's speculation at best.

I see the benefit of what he's doing but I think it would be good to also go back to the WAFL and be the focal point and kick bags. Gotta learn leading patterns and how to play forward against men too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LittleGreekGod

Club Legend
Dec 24, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I see the benefit of what he's doing but I think it would be good to also go back to the WAFL and be the focal point and kick bags. Gotta learn leading patterns and how to play forward against men too.
I can see your point but I still see value in learning those skills from the very best in Kennedy rather than in a B grade environment.
Whatever the approach I can see him being a special talent and the next big thing at the Eagles.

Nov 15, 2013
Here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Yes
That piece of play when Hutchings ran down Impey in a brilliant tackle on the wing as Hawthorn were looking dangerous..

Only for Marsden to take the advantage, waddle off in slow motion with Impey running HIM down and turn the kick straight back over, was infuriating..

Then there was that contest in the last I think, when the ball bounced back into his path, and instead of bodylining the footy, he squibbed and ran past it. Turnover.

Chuck in a couple HTB frees and these are the sorts of things at crucial times which can bite us in the ass.

I'd rather Ainsworth, Brayshaw, O'neil or Ah Chee make these errors than a 30yr old 207 gamer in the last year of his contract. At least they can learn from it.

Marsden earnt his recall, but continuing play him in this form is dangerous. He's got no confidence.
Yeah but , ...... I got nothing .

frenchconnection

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Wembley downs
AFL Club
West Coast
I know this gets done every single week, but I just can't help but try to imagine what the coaching staff sees in Masten that's so important for him to remain in the team.

Schofield very, very unlucky to be omitted when he is actually playing some good footy
Schofield is the emergency and being held over so there could be a late change. Re Masto think he was kept in to keep BHill under control due to his running capacity??

frenchconnection

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
Wembley downs
AFL Club
West Coast
We really should win.

But the fact Freo have been able to beat Collingwood and GWS at their home grounds says that on their day they can be extremely dangerous.

They also lost to Carlton and Gold Coast which tells me they need motivation to win games (a bit like Port of late)

Not many bigger reasons for lifting than a derby after a horrible loss to the bottom team at home.

I hope we are switched on because in no way will this be a walk in the park.

Eagles by 11 after an arm wrestle and nervy moments.

Go Eagles

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
And I will be a nervous wreck again in the last quarter if that eventuates as 11 points is a bit close for comfort for my liking🤔

Karim Abdul Yeo

Cancelled
Jul 30, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast

versatility was the reason why I mentioned Oscar stays in
The point was why Oscar deserves to stay in the side even with JK and JD. Of course forward line is where he should be at, I was just trying to highlight his versatility rather than removing him from his most valuable role which is forward. But when you have a guy who can be our new Adam Hunter, then he stays in the side for now.

Candiru

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
The point was why Oscar deserves to stay in the side even with JK and JD. Of course forward line is where he should be at, I was just trying to highlight his versatility rather than removing him from his most valuable role which is forward. But when you have a guy who can be our new Adam Hunter, then he stays in the side for now.
I don't think Hunter is the best template.

wc_eagles_since86

Team Captain
Apr 25, 2019
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, Liverpool
Do people here just build themselves up to expect a dominant performance so they can melt harder when it's not happening?

This will likely be close and we are no certainties to win (unless there's less than a kick in it with <5 minutes to play of course).

Every time this season people have said we'll win comfortably, we've either lost, or, had to stage a big comeback to win. I agree with you, it'll be a close game. I'm afraid of the implications if we lose..

Back