Preview Changes vs Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I expect we will lose to the Bye due to our turnovers. We concede so many point to the opposition from this source that and can’t convert our inside fifties, that we will barely scrape through.

Then we can bounce back versus Freo.

I didn’t watch the whole VFL game (most of it) but from what I saw I would be bringing in these guys IF there is a spot:
Khamis
Raak
Cleary
JOD

Defence:
Khamis is better suited to OBriens interceptor role. JOD better as CHB. Cleary is a smaller player but perhaps he replaces VDM, as 10 disposals isn’t a great return for an attacking defender. Raak is another option for a defensive role, he played well switched forward this week.

LJones can only be replaced by a FB style defender. Gardner or Bruce are the options. Bruce looked bad at VFL and Gardner looked poor, Gardner for me.

Outs:
Keath
TOBrien
LJones

Ins:
JOD
Khamis
Gardner

Forward:
I was hoping that AJones would be back but he needs a rest. I would give him another week off.

Naughton:
What was clear to me, was that we are playing our KPBeast in the wrong position. He needs to play CHF/HHHF (high high half forward) and be given freedom to roam. Let him dictate where he goes and he will draw the ball to himself in 1v1’s. He will either provide a huge line breaking presence in transition OR draw the best defender out of the d50 to him. IF they keep their KPD back there, our team will know to lower their eyes and hit JUH, Weightman or Naughton on the lead. No kicking long hoping for a Naughton screamer, as he won’t be there.

Allow English and Bont to drift forward during play IF we need an additional marking presence.

Structure the forward line without Naughton in it. Play Lobb & Weightman deeper, JUH as a lead up forward and Scott as the crumber until AJones is back.

The other HFF, play Macrae or Daniel in that additional midfielder role as we have.

Midfield:
We need to keep West in the side to improve his inside play. He wasn’t terrible.

I wouldn’t complain about JOD back in the side. He’s shown glimpses of big talent as a defender, and against Freo it’s not like he’d be manning the likes of Hawkins/Cameron.

Duryea had a shocker and Crozier had a great game in the twos. Could be a substitute.

Cleary for TOB.

In: Bruce, Gardner

Out: Jones, O’Brien

We need more run off half back but they’ll keep Duryea due to the forced backline changes.

Love to know where Khamis is at as well..

I wouldn’t complain about JOD back in the side. He’s shown glimpses of big talent as a defender, and against Freo it’s not like he’d be manning the likes of Hawkins/Cameron.

Duryea had a shocker and Crozier had a great game in the twos. Could be a substitute.

Cleary for TOB.

Crozier got injured, otherwise I would have had him as an in.

Tim English 100th game and Anthony Scott 50th game for the club
Congratulations to both.
I think Scott has been down the last couple of weeks but prior to that he seemed to me to be developing into a reliable foot soldier who do be relied on to do his job and contribute to the good performance of the team. Looking forward to seeing him return to ( or exceed) that level.

I expect we will lose to the Bye due to our turnovers. We concede so many point to the opposition from this source that and can’t convert our inside fifties, that we will barely scrape through.

Then we can bounce back versus Freo.

I didn’t watch the whole VFL game (most of it) but from what I saw I would be bringing in these guys IF there is a spot:
Khamis
Raak
Cleary
JOD

Defence:
Khamis is better suited to OBriens interceptor role. JOD better as CHB. Cleary is a smaller player but perhaps he replaces VDM, as 10 disposals isn’t a great return for an attacking defender. Raak is another option for a defensive role, he played well switched forward this week.

LJones can only be replaced by a FB style defender. Gardner or Bruce are the options. Bruce looked bad at VFL and Gardner looked poor, Gardner for me.

Outs:
Keath
TOBrien
LJones

Ins:
JOD
Khamis
Gardner

Forward:
I was hoping that AJones would be back but he needs a rest. I would give him another week off.

Naughton:
What was clear to me, was that we are playing our KPBeast in the wrong position. He needs to play CHF/HHHF (high high half forward) and be given freedom to roam. Let him dictate where he goes and he will draw the ball to himself in 1v1’s. He will either provide a huge line breaking presence in transition OR draw the best defender out of the d50 to him. IF they keep their KPD back there, our team will know to lower their eyes and hit JUH, Weightman or Naughton on the lead. No kicking long hoping for a Naughton screamer, as he won’t be there.

Allow English and Bont to drift forward during play IF we need an additional marking presence.

Structure the forward line without Naughton in it. Play Lobb & Weightman deeper, JUH as a lead up forward and Scott as the crumber until AJones is back.

The other HFF, play Macrae or Daniel in that additional midfielder role as we have.

Midfield:
We need to keep West in the side to improve his inside play. He wasn’t terrible.
I can’t see Khamis getting a run in defence when he’s been playing forward for over a year now. I want to see it too, but I’d be shocked if he’s even selected at all this year, let alone selected in defence

I can’t see Khamis getting a run in defence when he’s been playing forward for over a year now. I want to see it too, but I’d be shocked if he’s even selected at all this year, let alone selected in defence

The intercept marks and positioning behind the ball when he was in the ruck were great. He got into the hole and took marks while under pressure….

A defender he is, just not a KPD.

Anyone else concerned about how “adamant” Bev was about not playing Naughton back “only as a last resort “. I can accept it if it is Bev’s judgment that he should play forward but why so strident. Who is he in a bitter argument with? Us, the rest of MC, someone in the footy media, the world in general? Chill. Leave some room for flexibility. The main objective is winning games of football, not every argument. Isn’t it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Darcy will probably play against us he was close this week wasnt he?
Oh didn't realise I thought they said it was a fairly decent strain still will be underdone when back which is helpful but will need a match up for either he or Jackson as a forward

Bruce had a shocker against Charlie and Keath had a shocker against Larkey. Both show the difference between them and Jones but we have two good players who had two bad games against good players.

Against Freo - we will most need to cover Amiss and Jackson. I could be killed here but still think Keath and Bruce are our best options.

I would like to see Bruce and Naughton rotate to get much more experience and flexibility. If either Keath or Bruce is being towelled up or Naughty not getting the ball - then move Bruce forward and shake it up. This could be an incredible strength.

Then for TOB it is Gardner, JOD or Khamis. Last times we have played Freo it has been the smalls (pre Lobb) who have cut us up with speed.

Darcy was brilliant in his early game as an interceptor and I think we need that - he is injured so time to bring in Khamis. Again he can play forward also.

I hate to say it but Hannan was OK so probably stays.

Am worried about speed in the backline - Dale was pretty good and Duryea serviceable but not his best. VDM was just starting to show something and we should persist until JJ is back.

We miss Red with our rebound but now Crozier is also missing so can’t do much about that.

Will likely play Sturt or Corbett who are both 190ish. Khamis should take them.

Could also be a weak to give Cleary a go. Is he also quick enough to play on Fredricks or Shultz. Would love to see him get a game.

Williams went back he was very good - Khamis allows him to move back to wing and move us forward and can rotate with him depending on the player. Williams or Gardner. also go back and Khamis can be a wild card forward.

Problem is two out again in the back six revolving door:

Duryea Bruce Khamis
Dale Keath VDM

Smith Macrae Williams
English Bont Libba

Hannan Naughton West
Weightman Lobb JUH

Daniel, Scott, Gardner, Baker

In that hypothetical posed here recently about "who would you want taking a kick after the siren to win us the flag?" I'd put Caleb right up at the top as long as it was no further than 40m out.

His stats from 2019 to the present are 19.7 from scoring shots (much of that time playing deep in defence so not many opportunities until this year). Those numbers would include general play. No idea what they are from set shots but I'm guessing they'd be even more accurate.

Someone like that in our yipsville forward line is invaluable.
However he also contributes so much to the midfield that I wouldn't want him as a permanent HFF. 20-30% is enough.

Macrae is pretty good from set shots too, BTW.

In that hypothetical posed here recently about "who would you want taking a kick after the siren to win us the flag?" I'd put Caleb right up at the top as long as it was no further than 40m out.

His stats from 2019 to the present are 19.7 from scoring shots (much of that time playing deep in defence so not many opportunities until this year). Those numbers would include general play. No idea what they are from set shots but I'm guessing they'd be even more accurate.

Someone like that in our yipsville forward line is invaluable.
However he also contributes so much to the midfield that I wouldn't want him as a permanent HFF. 20-30% is enough.

Macrae is pretty good from set shots too, BTW.
Flea, Macca and Daniel would have to be up there as our best 3

Flea, Macca and Daniel would have to be up there as our best 3
Jamarra started off very accurate, hope he can get that back.
Caleb’s goals have mainly been snaps or on the run.
Set shots have been rattling quite a few, must be catching.
Bailey Williams is pretty good too. And English when he’s in form.

Out: Jones, O'Brien, VDM,
In: Bruce, Cleary, Poulter

FB. Doc Keath Cleary
HB. Dale Naughton Daniel
C. Williams Libba Baker
HF. B.Smith Lobb JUH
FF. Flea Bruce Scott
R. English Bont Treloar
INT. Macrea West Hannan Poulter
SUB. VDM

I know Bruce and naughton won't swap spots but I will keep flogging that horse.

Love to see Cleary get a solid run at it, with 2 small backs injured and Duryea struggling seems to be the time to get experience into him

Anyone else concerned about how “adamant” Bev was about not playing Naughton back “only as a last resort “. I can accept it if it is Bev’s judgment that he should play forward but why so strident. Who is he in a bitter argument with? Us, the rest of MC, someone in the footy media, the world in general? Chill. Leave some room for flexibility. The main objective is winning games of football, not every argument. Isn’t it?
Don't be surprised if Bevo plays him down back.
He's just trying to use Jedi mind tricks to fool everybody.

A bit off topic what is our perfect results this week with 6 teams having the bye

Cats v Dees
Saints V lions
Swans V WCE
Pies V Crows
GC V Hawks
Bombers V Freo

A bit hard to say depends on if you believe we are a chance for top 4. If so we would want

Cats to win over Dees
Saints to win over lions
Freo to win over the bombers

If you think top 4 is not realistic and you want the results to fall to protect our spot in the 8 then

Dees to win over the Cats
Lions to win over the Saints
Pies to win over Crows.
Probably Bombers over Freo to stuff out Freo's chances
Hawks over GC
WCE over Swans but that is not going to happen

I am favouring the latter as I do not think we can make top 4 and would prefer results to fall to help us make the 8.

1Port Adelaide1448119.3
2Collingwood1344135.1
3Melbourne1336132.3
4Brisbane Lions1336119.6
5St Kilda1332113.1
6Essendon1332110.6
7Western Bulldogs1432102.9
8Adelaide Crows1328116.5
9Richmond1426102.4
10Geelong Cats1324113.6
11GWS Giants142497
12Gold Coast Suns132494.