Preview Changes vs Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

If I was west I’d walk
I can understand why West Snr doesn't want his other kids to be drafted by the club.

We've never given West the run of games that we've offered to others who have shown much, much less. I really do agree with our media when it comes to our selection process being bat s**t insane.

I still struggle to understand why and how Hannan gets a game.
I haven’t been a massive hannan fan either but he hasn’t been that bad recently, however I would of dropped him before west and baker

I can understand why West Snr doesn't want his other kids to be drafted by the club.

We've never given West the run of games that we've offered to others who have shown much, much less. I really do agree with our media when it comes to our selection process being bat s**t insane.
west has not been all that good. he is slow and often makes the wrong decisions. not as good as his dad. he is NOT his dad. he has been given plenty of opps and has not come up to the level.

Freo are $2.50 to win. Looking at that bulldogs team, and particularly the defence, that looks enormous.

If we win it’ll be because our mids absolutely brain theirs.

west has not been all that good. he is slow and often makes the wrong decisions. not as good as his dad. he is NOT his dad. he has been given plenty of opps and has not come up to the level.
Can we not go through these motions again. Not a single person is arguing that Rhylee West is as good as Scott West or even has the potential to be. The arguments have been whether he’s more deserving of a spot than McComb, Hannan, McNeil, etc. and Scott West is irrelevant to that debate.

Also no-one is saying he hasn’t had any opportunity, the issue is one of relativity. McComb got more games than him last year and is on the same number so far in 2023.

Bevo clearly doesn’t rate or like Cleary. Has he even been named emergency this year despite being one of our better performed players?

Bevo also has no issues throwing players into the best 22 despite being nowhere near ready.

I wouldn't mind him in too, but maybe despite solid performances in the vfl he's simply not playing with afl intensity.
In the last of his 2 or 3 games last year I distinctly remember him shirking a contest in a pretty major way. Perhaps that is still the reason he's still not getting a game?
Anyway all this is just speculation including your claim that Bevo clearly doesn't rate him.

I wouldn't mind him in too, but maybe despite solid performances in the vfl he's simply not playing with afl intensity.
In the last of his 2 or 3 games last year I distinctly remember him shirking a contest in a pretty major way. Perhaps that is still the reason he's still not getting a game?
Anyway all this is just speculation including your claim that Bevo clearly doesn't rate him.
If that’s the case I don’t think Bevos seen Poulter play…. Blokes as outside as they come

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we not go through these motions again. Not a single person is arguing that Rhylee West is as good as Scott West or even has the potential to be. The arguments have been whether he’s more deserving of a spot than McComb, Hannan, McNeil, etc. and Scott West is irrelevant to that debate.

Also no-one is saying he hasn’t had any opportunity, the issue is one of relativity. McComb got more games than him last year and is on the same number so far in 2023.
The main issue for mine is just the constant jerking around of him, everyone else gets a decent run at it to find their feet but if West doesn’t kick 3 & have 30 he’s the one on the chopping block, how on earth is he going to develop like that.

Then when he is banished to the VFL it’s minimum of a month of close to best on before he gets a sniff of a sub position, must be nice to be Gardner, takes 1 or 2 s**t vfl games and you’re straight back in

Also pls no one spew the defensive bullshit at me, he has a better off the ball work ethic than half the side. Enlighten me how important Hannans 7 PAs were last week!!!! We can’t possibly lose them

Last edited:
I’d rather play Buku back (I know he hasn’t been playing there) than Gardner, but ultimately we don’t have a lot of choice. Time for him to repay us for that three year contract.
Gardner is significantly taller and spends almost 100% TOG when he plays. Buks is no chance getting a have ahead of Gardner in a key post.

I suspect Poulter at least takes Baker's spot on the wing so no crazy Bevo games on Saturday

It’s due to West being poor in a number of areas, he’s becoming like Wallis if he can’t bring some sort offensive weapon he won’t be playing much.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Strong disagree with this. He has really quick hands and good vision - looks to give it to teammates in a better position. That is better than half our side. He's also as hard as anyone in our team.

What is holding him back is sometimes selfish decision making and poor athleticism (and Bevo hates him). He won't make it with us, but he can definitely carve out a career at another club

Not sure why supporters are shitting their pants over West not getting a proper run at it.

Had 13 games on the trot last year. Longer run than any run McComb, McNeil, Hannan etc have had.

He’s just not that good and obviously, going by his lack of games time, not following directives from coaches. He’s pretty f**kin lazy too.

Strong disagree with this. He has really quick hands and good vision - looks to give it to teammates in a better position. That is better than half our side. He's also as hard as anyone in our team.

What is holding him back is sometimes selfish decision making and poor athleticism (and Bevo hates him). He won't make it with us, but he can definitely carve out a career at another club
I'm not so sure about his decision making, but I do agree with your first paragraph.

The two things he lacks are speed and composure. The second can be developed with more AFL time, but is that enough?
I can see why we need speed based on a plan to restrict opposition scoring chains from the back half. It killed Wally's career and it's hurting West. They'd both be regular AFL players 20 years ago.

Not sure why supporters are shitting their pants over West not getting a proper run at it.

Had 13 games on the trot last year. Longer run than any run McComb, McNeil, Hannan etc have had.

He’s just not that good and obviously, going by his lack of games time, not following directives from coaches. He’s pretty f**kin lazy too.
And i reckon he was pretty good in the majority of those 13 games. Had 1 or 2 bad ones towards the end and was dropped for the last round and hasnt really had a go this year

And i reckon he was pretty good in the majority of those 13 games. Had 1 or 2 bad ones towards the end and was dropped for the last round and hasnt really had a go this year

Probably why he remained in the team for 13 weeks.

Prior season form can’t guarantee games. He’s obviously not ticking required boxes by the looks of it.

His last two games weren’t that flattering either.

I'm not so sure about his decision making, but I do agree with your first paragraph.

The two things he lacks are speed and composure. The second can be developed with more AFL time, but is that enough?
I can see why we need speed based on a plan to restrict opposition scoring chains from the back half. It killed Wally's career and it's hurting West. They'd both be regular AFL players 20 years ago.
It’s a myth that speed is holding West back, he’s plenty quick enough to carve out an AFL career - his burst on the first few steps are easily above average, maybe over a distance he struggles but that’s not overly relevant to the type of player he is.

Not only that but his ability is absolutely top of the line elite, similar to Lachie Hunter. This is wayyyy more important in congested modern footy than outright speed over a long distance. Elite vertical leap - overall his athletic package is fine, and stronger than most too.

Not suggesting he’s a better player but athletically he’d monster a number of our best 22 players

Hey all, with the traffic disruptions and road closures, which might effect you going to the game over the next couple of weeks, reminder that there is a ferry service leaving from Geelong. I am catching the Portarlington ferry tomorrow. $17 each way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back