Preview Changes vs Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

A bit off topic what is our perfect results this week with 6 teams having the bye

Cats v Dees
Saints V lions
Swans V WCE
Pies V Crows
GC V Hawks
Bombers V Freo

A bit hard to say depends on if you believe we are a chance for top 4. If so we would want

Cats to win over Dees
Saints to win over lions
Freo to win over the bombers

If you think top 4 is not realistic and you want the results to fall to protect our spot in the 8 then

Dees to win over the Cats
Lions to win over the Saints
Pies to win over Crows.
Probably Bombers over Freo to stuff out Freo's chances
Hawks over GC
WCE over Swans but that is not going to happen

I am favouring the latter as I do not think we can make top 4 and would prefer results to fall to help us make the 8.

1Port Adelaide1448119.3
2Collingwood1344135.1
3Melbourne1336132.3
4Brisbane Lions1336119.6
5St Kilda1332113.1
6Essendon1332110.6
7Western Bulldogs1432102.9
8Adelaide Crows1328116.5
9Richmond1426102.4
10Geelong Cats1324113.6
11GWS Giants142497
12Gold Coast Suns132494.
13Fremantle132494.3
14Carlton142298.1
15Sydney Swans132098.3
16Hawthorn131678.5
17North Melbourne14869.6
18West Coast Eagles13451.4

Dees over Cats.
Saints over Lions.

We don’t play well vs Cats, so having them miss finals would be purrfect.

Saints over Lions to keep top 4 alive.

Bombers losing is always a good thing.

Last edited:
Lets give Sam Darcy a crack again in defence. He can intercept and he can kick the ball. At the very least we will be getting him more senior exposure instead of older players who don't cut the mustard.

Also go short in defence.

Ins
Darcy, Cleary,

Outs
Jones, O'Brien

Would also like arty back. He's not someone who is likely succeed at VFL level and better off with the leadership and calibre of players at AFL level.

Lets give Sam Darcy a crack again in defence. He can intercept and he can kick the ball. At the very least we will be getting him more senior exposure instead of older players who don't cut the mustard.

Ins
Darcy, Cleary,

Outs
Jones, O'Brien

Would also like arty back. He's not someone who is likely succeed at VFL level and better off with the leadership and calibre of players at AFL level.
No way they bring Darcy straight back up to afl level after his lung and jaw issues.

If anything these injuries will force our hand and settle JOD in defence.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Wouldn’t bet on it.
If it makes sense it won’t happen

Hopefully it forces our hand to play JOD there and he makes it impossible to move him out of there.

Last edited:

Ins
Darcy, Cleary,

Outs
Jones, O'Brien

Won’t happen but I completely agree with this, also can still move Naughty back if s**t hits the fan back there. We’d probably require Williams back there for some more aerial support with Scott back to the wing (I really don’t like him at half back)

Darcy & Keath the talls, Williams & Cleary mediums, Doc small & Dale & VDM the run until Red & Jj are back to probably push out Williams (wing) & VDM

With so many defenders out Luke Cleary could be excused for giving up hope if he doesn't get a game soon.
Our spare parts man Roarke Smith could play HBF if needed but even he's out ... indefinitely.

Injury list

Sam Darcy (jaw) – Test
Riley Garcia (groin) – Test
Dom Bedendo (groin) – Test
Ed Richards (hamstring) – 3-4 weeks
Harvey Gallagher (finger) – 3-4 weeks
Jason Johannisen (hamstring) – 4-5 weeks

Toby McLean (lower back) - 4-6 weeks
Tim O’Brien (hamstring) – 8-9 weeks
Liam Jones (forearm) - 8-10 weeks
Hayden Crozier (hamstring) – 8-10 weeks
Roarke Smith (foot) – Indefinite

With so many defenders out Luke Cleary could be excused for giving up hope if he doesn't get a game soon.
Our spare parts man Roarke Smith could play HBF if needed but even he's out ... indefinitely.

Injury list

Sam Darcy (jaw) – Test
Riley Garcia (groin) – Test
Dom Bedendo (groin) – Test
Ed Richards (hamstring) – 3-4 weeks
Harvey Gallagher (finger) – 3-4 weeks
Jason Johannisen (hamstring) – 4-5 weeks

Toby McLean (lower back) - 4-6 weeks
Tim O’Brien (hamstring) – 8-9 weeks
Liam Jones (forearm) - 8-10 weeks
Hayden Crozier (hamstring) – 8-10 weeks
Roarke Smith (foot) – Indefinite
Is Roarke definitely out indefinitely?

Yeah, its gonna look like a Bruce/Gardner/Keath/Cleary/Dale/Williams type back line for a while, we will 100% miss that speed of JJ and Ed but we don't have a choice. Wouldn't say no to Buku going back to playing that intercepting defender role as well.

I've loved what I've seen of Cleary and hope he can have a real crack at it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gotta take the positives out of the Jones injury and blood as much games into O'Donnell as possible. Keath and Gardy can hold up ok.

What I think you will see is a more defensive gane style with truck and Scott as the wings rolling back hard to defend. Timmy too will be very important and you may see less ventures forward by him to support the defense.

I'd look to bring Cleary in at some stage as well

I haven't watched any VFL at all this year. What's going on with Cleary, Busslinger and Raak?
Cleary has been very solid most weeks unlucky not to have played a few AFL games,

Buss looks a bit off AFL level currently (especially physically) however given his shoulder injury before the season not the end of the world

Raak been very solid up forward showing a bit

I haven't watched any VFL at all this year. What's going on with Cleary, Busslinger and Raak?
Cleary been good all year, can kick well and makes good decisions but still a bit on the light side.

Busslinger, similar to Cleary but less consistent and probably not ready physically. However, he pulls off some seriously great long kicks and seems to make good decisions as well.

Raak has been playing forward (which I find a bit strange) and showing improvement especially last week. Great set of hands.

Get JoD and Cleary in now, Buss later in the season.

Our older backline players may be more experienced but are so bad I see not much value in playing them over our youngsters that have actually displayed potential. Experience is not preventing Bruce, Keath and Duryea from getting carved up every week.

Gardner has to be backed in also, for better or worse.

In: Bruce, Cleary
Out: Jones, O'Brien
  • Naughton back (until Jones returns).
  • Williams back (until Richards returns).
  • Bruce to the forward line
  • Baker, Scott & McNeil to hold down the wings for the next 2 games.
  • Macrae could fill in for some wing minutes too.

Duryea Keath Cleary
Williams Naughton Dale
Baker Libba Scott
West JUH Macrae
Weightman Bruce Lobb
VDM McNeil B Smith Daniel

What I would do.
Backline of
Dale Keath Duryea
Cleary Gardner/Bruce Khamis

7th defender out of Williams or Vandermeer until one of Richards or JJ is back.

Settle it and focus on getting the footy into Dale and Cleary's hands.

What will probably happen. All of Bruce, Keath, Gardner and O'Donnell playing.

What I would do.
Backline of
Dale Keath Duryea

I want Bruce as far away from the backline and 22 as possible

What I would do.
Backline of
Dale Keath Duryea

Agree with getting Khamis into the team as the 3rd tall/med defender. He’s a pretty good kick and has the added benefit that if we need to throw Naughty back he can swap forward to keep the structure (whatever that means to Spangher).

So from my calculations, we have Freo, Collingwood, Sydney and the bye, before we potentially have Red and JJ back against Essendon. They are all winnable games with the exception of Collingwood, despite the optimists saying we should beat them because we some how fluked a win against them last year.

Out : Jones & O'Brien
In : JOD & Cleary
Go in a bit smaller down back with more run. Develop the next generation of our Defensive unit hopefully improve disposal numbers with some better ball users coming in

Remove this Banner Ad

Back