Preview Changes vs GC Suns (Sat 16 April, 4:35pm @ Marvel)

Remove this Banner Ad

Tempting to make a few rotations isn't it? I doubt that's how MC will see it but it just seems like a good opportunity. I'd go:

OUT: Martin (rest), McNeil
IN: Sweet, Cavarra

Just to see what Sweet can do at this level. I haven't seen him in the VFL/practice games so I'm just going on reports that he's been pretty handy and wouldn't disgrace himself in senior company. Also that he's very good with tap work ... is that correct?

If he's ever going to be of use to us he needs to start somewhere and this seems like a game where we could do it.

But only the one experimental change. Can't afford to assume we'll win this one in a canter.

Libba39

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2008
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Really disappointed that there is no vfl game this weekend. I feel like it might be time to rest or change a couple.

Caleb? Assuming he was tagged but something is NQR with the little man

McNeill? Keeps tackling and stealing the ball, but doing not much with it.

Scott? Does a few good things but could someone else do better?

With GC down on ruck stocks I reckon it might be time to rest Martin and give Sweet a go.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Enough with McNeil and Scott, please make the call Bevo yes we’re winning but we’re getting nothing from two players on the ground. Again McNeil had a better second half but he needs to go back and get involved in the game at VFL level. Just spend some time with ball in hand and develop some composure and learn how to have an impact when things aren’t really going your way.

On Scott I’ve made my point pretty clear not going to go into it again, I could name 10 blokes in the twos I’d rather in this team right now to be completely honest. I’d go Cav and Lip in for those two. Really want West too but it’s hard to fit at the moment. Maybe West sub.

I think this is a great opportunity to play Sweet. He looks ready for a taste, deserves one honestly. Plus Martin has had a huge block of work on Grundy, Goldy, NN and Mcinerny and he’s so important for us we cannot afford to overwork him. Could play Timmy one out but nah he’s just not a very good ruckman unfortunately. Let’s keep him where no team has an answer for him right now. And see what Sweet offers.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Also there’s nothing wrong with rotating a few in a winning team. Keeps things fresh keeps the players in the next rung eager. Must admit it must be disheartening for someone like Cav to perform week in week out and see someone sit in your spot racking up like 20 odd touches and one goal over a 4 week period. Need to reward those guys and keep pressure on spots

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Time for McNeil and Scott to come out...but I have a feeling there will be no change until we play Richmond.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Wasn't sure why Scott was more strategically important than Lipinski.
Apparantly speed around the 3 big forwards ..Bev said at the press conference
So l imagine no changes unless soreness or injuries.
If it's working let it work
Or go with the flow
4 Zip Loving 2021
Cav and West both quicker to my eye

Dec 29, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Outs:
Scott - seems a very hesitant player, stands back a lot and watches or waits for a team mate to do something, isn’t getting much of the ball. Time to go out.
McNeil - does seem to enter the game more in the second half (very good fitness base?) just not quite doing enough tackling wise and not hitting the scoreboard.

In:
Cavarra - 8 goals in 2 games in VFL practice matches. Time to give him a crack.
West - will bring pressure and hardness which we need a bit more of.

If Martin needs a rest I’d let English ruck and give schache a go forward

It would be theoretically possible to play a 100 games without ever running onto the field. Permanent sub.

That's the way to qualify players to get them to 100 games for father/son.

Apr 8, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Wasn't sure why Scott was more strategically important than Lipinski.
Apparantly speed around the 3 big forwards ..Bev said at the press conference
So l imagine no changes unless soreness or injuries.
If it's working let it work
Or go with the flow
4 Zip Loving 2021
Did he actually say that?
How useful was his speed around the big forwards when he was found nothing off half back?

ringa5

CRAZY HORSE
Jun 1, 2009
goldcoast
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
How useful was his speed around the big forwards when he was found nothing off half back?
Didn't spcifically say Scott
in General
But l summize that was his meaning.
I also see the logic in playing West or Cavarra .Both quick..
But l am not a professional coach .And they have their reasons.

It sounds like Bevo is playing the long game with Scott and McNeil. Try to pump as many games into them as possible and hopefully one day it'll pay off.
That was my thought, but surely in addition to the expected improvement he must think those two are already providing enough now.
I'm trying to see it. I really am. They do show flashes but they look like the 21st and 22nd best every week.

I wouldn't be happy if I was West or Cav.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back