Changes vs GC17

Remove this Banner Ad

After watching some in the Magpies games, not sure who would be threatening for a game.

Woodcock, Farrell and Bonner were absent on Thursday, but who replaces them? Maybe Garner, but Port’s injuries will prevent mass change.

Lycett for Marshall is the obvious change. Unless they wants to go Ladhams for Hayes, but I can’t see them changing a ruck-forward for a pure ruck.

This seems pretty valid but I don't have an encyclopedic memory like some.

When was Bonners best game?

Has he ever got Brownlow votes?

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bonner did score 130 SC points in round 1 a year or two ago with some nice intercept plays and disposal. It’s his work when he doesn’t have the ball that is generally insipid.

This seems pretty valid but I don't have an encyclopedic memory like some.

When was Bonners best game?

Has he ever got Brownlow votes?

One of his best games was the West Coast final in 2017, which is a tad ironic given there's a general consensus that he's soft and would probably melt under the pressure of a big game.

Bassett just pretty much confirmed Hayes is no chance again of playing. So they won't throw Ladhams around and will keep him as a fwd/ruck.

IN: Lycett, Lienert, Garner, (Frederick as sub)
OUT: Marshall (Concussion), Bonner, Farrell (Woodcock as sub)

Push Bergman up the ground.

Bassett just pretty much confirmed Hayes is no chance again of playing. So they won't throw Ladhams around and will keep him as a fwd/ruck.

IN: Lycett, Lienert, Garner, (Frederick as sub)
OUT: Marshall (Concussion), Bonner, Farrell (Woodcock as sub)

Push Bergman up the ground.

Hayes aint playing.... Ken out a line through him in 2021 and never deviates, except for a coke machine.

Bergman is learning his craft from half back initially. He will move to greater roles in the midfield and up forward as he develops. His greater value will become apparent then. He played as a full forward as junior so he has some capacity to be that flexible utility type that can be swung around during a game.

I’ve been loving Bergman’s year so far. Still got a bit to work on but tonnes of good signs there.

Tall, good overhead. Put on size faster than anyone at the club since I can remember and already looks like he could snap most of our players in half. Fast. Long kick. Tonnes of weapons. Already getting games. Shown a couple of moments of brilliance in stoppage situations. Doesn’t shy away from moments.

I’ll get shot down for saying so but Bergman looks extremely vanilla to me and I’m unsure what recruiters saw in him to go pick 14 (?).

If Brodie Kemp hadn't been available at that number I'd disagree with you.

I've felt identically about our two first picks of late. Rozee was a good option but Smith was available (I couldn't give a * if he tanked interviews), and Bergman seemed an ok option but Kemp (and Robertson) were available. Rozee certainly proved me wrong in year 1 but it remains to be seen if I was wrong long-term.

I really hope Bergman proves me wrong and becomes a star - I've liked what I've seen so far. Looks the type that could be a 200-gamer. Just hope he is a successful one.

I’ve been loving Bergman’s year so far. Still got a bit to work on but tonnes of good signs there.

Tall, good overhead. Put on size faster than anyone at the club since I can remember and already looks like he could snap most of our players in half. Fast. Long kick. Tonnes of weapons. Already getting games. Shown a couple of moments of brilliance in stoppage situations. Doesn’t shy away from moments.
Yep. Miles has the potential to become the gun all round mid we need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've felt identically about our two first picks of late. Rozee was a good option but Smith was available (I couldn't give a fu** if he tanked interviews), and Bergman seemed an ok option but Kemp (and Robertson) were available. Rozee certainly proved me wrong in year 1 but it remains to be seen if I was wrong long-term.

I really hope Bergman proves me wrong and becomes a star - I've liked what I've seen so far. Looks the type that could be a 200-gamer. Just hope he is a successful one.

Smith wouldnt of played a single game for us and would of sooked it hard enough not to play SANFL either and would of been a wasted Top 5 pick for us. Even so he would of requested a trade home after his first year anyway. You would give more than half a * if we wasted away a top 5 pick on someone getting traded home regardless.

Kemp has shown s**t all he played his first game for the blues reserves a few weeks ago. Bergman has shown more at this point in time.

Bergman has played 11 games FFS which essentially is his first proper year in the system (no sanfl last year) he is still learning. Its not like hes absoloutly spudded it up in the games he has played. Kicked a couple goals really good in the air and is learning to use his pace at the appropriate times to run off his opponents. Bergman was essentially a wingman/HFF in his draft year and we are transforming him into a rebound defender hinkley style.

Everyone seems to be knocking the guys we are actually trying to develop AKA Will Drew who is now shining. Be nice if our board backed our young ones in. Not everyone is a butters or a duursma and actually need time to DEVELOP

Lachie's mate Poulter has looked alright in a pressure forward role at Collingwood.

Play Lachie forward and give him a run on the ball now and then.

If Lachie gets in behind a defender, it's goodnight nurse.

I've felt identically about our two first picks of late. Rozee was a good option but Smith was available (I couldn't give a fu** if he tanked interviews), and Bergman seemed an ok option but Kemp (and Robertson) were available. Rozee certainly proved me wrong in year 1 but it remains to be seen if I was wrong long-term.

You were wrong on both accounts!

Bergman has been really solid this year. Tall and athletic, good overhead and a decent kick on him. He's not afraid of responsibility and doesn't go into his shell when the inevitable rookie mistakes happen.

He's also looked alright when given an opportunity in the midfield in the sanfl. Certainly worth trying in our rotations.

I had little faith we would beat Geelong, it’s their year unfortunately. They were bigger, faster, worked hard, older, more experienced and better coached. The score line flattered us.

We had many passengers.

The easier option is to point the finger:
- Bonner (who looked like he sustained a corkie) was terrible defensively
- Farrell and Woodcock saw so little of it that I thought they must have been told not to touch it
- Jones was lost out there
- Alir couldn’t hit a barn with his kicks
- Ladhams was beaten

But these guys are young and haven’t touched 100 games, many less than 50. Throw in Bergmann, Rozee, SPP, Drew, Marshall and Mitch and we have 10 at least who’ve barely started their careers.

Easy option is to create a revolving door of insert young fringe player in or out. But we are in a pickle, the guys who really let us down were Jonas, DBJ, Motlop, etc. The young guys need time and confidence.

outs:
Marshall (concussion) - Lycett, move Ladhams forward.

Motlop (that performance was unacceptable) - Raz in.

Bonner (if injured) - Lienert in and on the wing.

If Bonner fit, Woodcock makes way for Lienert.

Frederick, Hayes, Schofield(not close to playing but to reward the performance) are emergencies.

Strong words to be had with SPP, Woodcock, Bonner and Farrell but reinforce that we are backing them in. Jones we back to the hilt - the kid could be anything.

At SANFL I’m getting Hartlett, Williams and Frederick into the middle. McEntee mid/HFF and small forward.

Lachie's mate Poulter has looked alright in a pressure forward role at Collingwood.

Play Lachie forward and give him a run on the ball now and then.

If Lachie gets in behind a defender, it's goodnight nurse.
For all the Ken haters on here, I actually liked his move of Lachie forward vs Geelong, and he should be doing things like that more often, especially with talented early picks. This week he should be given a run on the ball.
I think he has handled Bergman quite well. He also has had a few different roles, his body shape dictates he can play anywhere but Key position so give them the opportunity. Does anyone thinks Bergman or Jones palying a different role for a half is the difference between winning or losing? I hope not.

Smith wouldnt of played a single game for us and would of sooked it hard enough not to play SANFL either and would of been a wasted Top 5 pick for us. Even so he would of requested a trade home after his first year anyway. You would give more than half a fu** if we wasted away a top 5 pick on someone getting traded home regardless.

Kemp has shown sh*t all he played his first game for the blues reserves a few weeks ago. Bergman has shown more at this point in time.

Bergman has played 11 games FFS which essentially is his first proper year in the system (no sanfl last year) he is still learning. Its not like hes absoloutly spudded it up in the games he has played. Kicked a couple goals really good in the air and is learning to use his pace at the appropriate times to run off his opponents. Bergman was essentially a wingman/HFF in his draft year and we are transforming him into a rebound defender hinkley style.

Everyone seems to be knocking the guys we are actually trying to develop AKA Will Drew who is now shining. Be nice if our board backed our young ones in. Not everyone is a butters or a duursma and actually need time to DEVELOP
Strange response to my post.

I'm saying I thought Rozee was a good pick and the second best available at the time of drafting him. Meaning of every option in the draft I would have had him at 6.

On Miles I think he's been fantastic so far, which is what I said. I would have been fine with us picking him if Kemp hadn't been available at that spot, meaning I rated him in the top few non-Kemp options (to be ruthlessly honest I probably would have preferred Robertson and too... and Williams for completeness but I was fine with letting him slide to pick him up with our next pick - didn't think we would take MG at that pick or still be able to get Williams with the pick after).

I'm backing both kids in 100% from here and hope they prove my draft night thoughts wrong. If you're honestly saying every single pick that Port has made you had that exact player as your best option then you are simply lying.

Also the draft tampering nonsense rarely plays out that way. Look at Wines, people said he would go home at the first opportunity, now he's our best player and captain. Get them in to an AFL team like Ports, the best culture and support in the AFL, and they soon realise how good it is and what they have to play for.

For all the Ken haters on here, I actually liked his move of Lachie forward vs Geelong, and he should be doing things like that more often, especially with talented early picks. This week he should be given a run on the ball.
I think he has handled Bergman quite well. He also has had a few different roles, his body shape dictates he can play anywhere but Key position so give them the opportunity. Does anyone thinks Bergman or Jones palying a different role for a half is the difference between winning or losing? I hope not.

So I’m probably more the opposite. These guys need stability as they learn. You can build some flexibility but there are few multiple position capable elite players.

Jones forward was because he was all at sea and having a mare.

Both Jones and Bergman could be anything, which is a bit of the risk, get thrown around so much that they never settle and really nail down a spot.

So I’m probably more the opposite. These guys need stability as they learn. You can build some flexibility but there are few multiple position capable elite players.

Jones forward was because he was all at sea and having a mare.

Both Jones and Bergman could be anything, which is a bit of the risk, get thrown around so much that they never settle and really nail down a spot.
Yes totally understand your point.
I probably should have also said a condition of them being tryed in different positions is some sort of security in the team, so they dont feel they have to be the best forward or whatever position they take on to keep their spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back