Preview Changes vs Geelong - Rnd 6, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly Liam Ryan is out for two months so we are missing Ryan, Rioli, Bunga, Boots, yeo and Petch. Some handy players there

Out: Vardy In: Ah Chee. Geelong is not a team that requires us to play two genuine rucks, although I'd be pretty keen for us to make sure Naitanui gets back to D50 to stop Hawkins monstering someone at stoppages.

There may be changes forced by injury; Kennedy and Cole are possibilities. We have a team full of tall forwards and HBFs, so we could replace those guys with basically anyone on the list and still retain decent balance.

We could also swap some fringe midfielders and small forwards in and out of the squad, and I doubt it will make much difference either way in the short to medium term. O'Neill/Ainsworth/Trew are placeholders for Yeo and Shuey; Langdon/Jones/Winder for Ryan/Rioli/Petruccelle. I'm happy for the match committee to take a development approach with these players - give them some games to assess where they're at, let them have some time as big fish in the small pond of the WAFL.

Same here. I didn't realise his possessions were so low, but he did palm the ball quite nicely a few times tonight, certainly better than his previous outings.

Amazing that Vardy has his best game in the ruck in ages but people dont or refuse to see it.

Sure he didnt get massive posessions but his ruck work was decent and created several clean clearances.

But people get stuck in their mindsets.

Will be amazed if Vardy doesnt play at his old ground next week.

JK looked sore with that kick in the leg. Good time to give him a rest imo, save the air miles and get fresh for the Derby.

Vardy is building, not sure dropping him aids our cause. He didn't have many touches but he ran to good spots and got burned several times imo. Williams needs a block of form in the WAFL and is short of a gallop coming back from injury I think.

Out: JJK, Cole (he was down a long time despite walking off and will need a spell imo)
In: Trew, Ainsworth.

Send Duggle back to half back. Bring more legs to run with Geelong for longer/share the load with our core mids.

Jake, Oscar and Brander give us a fair bit of flexibility to respond to in game circumstances on the tall front.

Amazing that Vardy has his best game in the ruck in ages but people dont or refuse to see it.

Sure he didnt get massive posessions but his ruck work was decent and created several clean clearances.

But people get stuck in their mindsets.

Will be amazed if Vardy doesnt play at his old ground next week.

Yep thought he was good last night, Grundy had his best moments when NN was his opponent. Vardy ran with him where NN doesn’t. He will stay in the side I would think.

Send Duggle back to half back. Bring more legs to run with Geelong for longer/share the load with our core mids.

Duggan played down back all night against Collingwood. That’s why he had such a good game.

Nelson being part of the midfield rotations is a good move imo, he’s hard at it and can play a defensive-oriented role which frees up someone like Redden to play more offensively

Who are we plugging into the Vardy role against the Cats? They don't bat particularly deep in the ruck. Hawkins takes the F50 stoppages.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Snake go through the ruck. Reckon he offers plenty around the contest if he can nullify the taps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who are we plugging into the Vardy role against the Cats? They don't bat particularly deep in the ruck. Hawkins takes the F50 stoppages.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Snake go through the ruck. Reckon he offers plenty around the contest if he can nullify the taps.
Yeah I like this, he's a bit of a campaigner too so he'll have no worries jumping into whatever spud ruck Geelong play these days.

IMO ideally it would be Brander.

Agree, really starting to show footy smarts, not blazing away, Some great team stuff last night

Didn’t kick a goal himself, but gave off two to Sheed and one to Kelly, and that’s just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Duggan played down back all night against Collingwood. That’s why he had such a good game.

Nelson being part of the midfield rotations is a good move imo, he’s hard at it and can play a defensive-oriented role which frees up someone like Redden to play more offensively
Mis worded it. I meant leave duggan there

IMO ideally it would be Brander.

Branders got that outside class I think we need to protect. He's also playing well so a bit like Shepp and Dugg, leave em alone.

Jake's got a bit of white line fever. Plays for the jumper, arrogant, team oriented. He'd take the role both personally and seriously. Can't register any less HOs than Vardy, but gives us so much more around the ground.

Exposes our mids to a life of sharking taps beyond the NN years, too.

Branders got that outside class I think we need to protect. He's also playing well so a bit like Shepp and Dugg, leave em alone.

Jake's got a bit of white line fever. Plays for the jumper, arrogant, team oriented. He'd take the role both personally and seriously. Can't register any less HOs than Vardy, but gives us so much more around the ground.

Exposes our mids to a life of sharking taps beyond the NN years, too.
Yeah I just think it would help ensure Brander stayed involved at all times. He has a lot of energy when he has the footy, and his follow up work would be effective against lumbering rucks. but reckon he could drift in and out of games if he’s playing too outside. He could still play his current role while NN rucks.

also don’t mind the Waterman idea. I think the idea of a second dedicated ruck stinks. Williams I don’t mind because he’s so agile and could be threatening forward.

Yeah I just think it would help ensure Brander stayed involved at all times. He has a lot of energy when he has the footy, and his follow up work would be effective against lumbering rucks. but reckon he could drift in and out of games if he’s playing too outside. He could still play his current role while NN rucks.

also don’t mind the Waterman idea. I think the idea of a second dedicated ruck stinks. Williams I don’t mind because he’s so agile and could be threatening forward.

Williams can jump and clunk, so he offers us plenty around the ground. But yeah until he's ready, and particularly against the Cats, I'd prefer to just use the biggest pest we've got.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back