Preview Changes vs Geelong - Rnd 6, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d like to see Luke Foley in. Feel like he Is next cab off the rank
In place of Rotham of Cole? I am assuming there will be doubts on both. Not saying out but I expect the club to take a conservative approach to head knocks. The flying will exacerbate any head swelling.

In place of Rotham of Cole? I am assuming there will be doubts on both. Not saying out but I expect the club to take a conservative approach to head knocks. The flying will exacerbate any head swelling.
Exactly, as evidenced by the size of Ray Chamberlain's melon on Friday night. The big headed twat!

Strange, haven't watched a replay...thought he did a hard tag on Pendles, not a soft one.
Only because Pendlebury was unusually quiet. Interested to know any info.
Was feeling good about Nelly's game
Nope at the ground he was often starting inside our forward 50 on Crisp. Went to Sidebottom and Pendlebury at various times later in the game.

Agreed, we're also the best contested mark team in the comp by a fair margin currently averaging 16 while Geelong are ranked 12th averaging 10. If we can exploit that and try and take a few in the corridor when coming out of defense it will go a long way to winning the game.

I would give specific directives to Waterman or Darling to come up the ground for our kick-ins and run opposite to congestion. at center to wing. Then Witherden kicks it to them. One on one I would bank it on them to clunk a few. Or run a scenario where they send 80% of players to the predictable side and as a precaution and also creativity, send an additional player to follow one of Waterman or darling ( whoever's turn it is) to rove if the ball hits the ground. If Ryan was playing, they could have exploited that and used his skills and pace. JJ will do for now. I wonder why sides don't try this tactic often. They are too scared for a rebound and almost always go for safety unless it's like the last 5 minutes which then again predictable corridor desperate kick. These are the tactics that set you apart instead of the same thing over and over again.

Bailey Williams for vardy. Can easily match vardys output

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
He only just matched Vardy's output in his WAFL game on the weekend. I'm a Bailey fan but he is not ready for AFL yet. Needs a couple of more games of quality before being considered. As I have mentioned elsewhere, Jamieson looked more advanced on the weekend. Vardy should play against the club that didn't want him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would give specific directives to Waterman or Darling to come up the ground for our kick-ins and run opposite to congestion. at center to wing. Then Witherden kicks it to them. One on one I would bank it on them to clunk a few. Or run a scenario where they send 80% of players to the predictable side and as a precaution and also creativity, send an additional player to follow one of Waterman or darling ( whoever's turn it is) to rove if the ball hits the ground. If Ryan was playing, they could have exploited that and used his skills and pace. JJ will do for now. I wonder why sides don't try this tactic often. They are too scared for a rebound and almost always go for safety unless it's like the last 5 minutes which then again predictable corridor desperate kick. These are the tactics that set you apart instead of the same thing over and over again.
If we are relying on contested marking as our sole outlet from kick ins we are cooked. That's what we did against the Saints and it killed us.

One of the great things about Witherden on the weekend is he went towards the standard 'long to the right' kick but changed the angle a few times as better options presented.

If we average 16 contested marks a game, assuming we take 5 in each of the forward and back lines, that leaves only 6 for the mid area. 1.5 per qtr. Considering how bad we are at ground ball, that leaves a lot of opportunities for repeat I50's

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m going with no changes this week. Geelong aren’t a quick side so I’m not worried about being too tall with Vardy in the 22. Nelson to do a job on Parraffit while Dangerfield is banged up and Brander to keep Stewart honest, while Waterman plays the link up role he did so well in last week with Ryan out of action.

JK didnt sound to confident of playing but i am fine with that. Let him run riot v the Dockers.

Also Hurn better no risk himself to get up for this game , another week will do him wonders.

Out: JK (Inj)
In: Jones

Medical Sub: Ainsworth

If one of Cole or Rotham have delayed concussion or what not i would bring in Foley if needed.

If one of Cole or Rotham have delayed concussion or what not i would bring in Foley if needed.

Eagle review has given the boys the all clear on concussion, so it'll boil down to how well the wounds are healing I guess. Longer break helps a bit there. They must be able to put something over the opening and then tape it up to protect it a bit more in case it gets another bump.

I’m going with no changes this week. Geelong aren’t a quick side so I’m not worried about being too tall with Vardy in the 22. Nelson Naita to do a job on Parraffit while Dangerfield is banged up and Brander to keep Stewart honest, while Waterman plays the link up role he did so well in last week with Ryan out of action.

Hopefully he calculates the mass more accurately this year.

Brander would seem perfectly suited to this role as a winger who would nearly always outsize his opponent.

Club said he needs a month of WAFL a long time ago so 3 more weeks

Im talking overall though. Once fit he is best 22 by a mile

You actually said "at the moment Hutchings is a better option than O'Neil"

Now he needs 3 more weeks...........

So there is a massive question mark about Hutchings replacing O'Neil. HUGE!!

Last edited:
Don't tag him, but force him to be defensively accountable. Get someone like Waterman to drag him back to the goal square and remove his influence from setting up their play out of defence.

Yep, Waterman or Brander. Make him defend and when we don't have it make sure he isn't running around doing as he pleases.

Also means we have to use Waterman or Brander early on and honor their leads and FORCE Stewart to defend more than counter attack.

Brander v Menegola on one wing would be a decent matchup as well.

Eagle review has given the boys the all clear on concussion, so it'll boil down to how well the wounds are healing I guess. Longer break helps a bit there. They must be able to put something over the opening and then tape it up to protect it a bit more in case it gets another bump.
They can wear the soft helmet, that would protect the skin well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back