Changes vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

What if the above mentioned get picked & have stinkers? You'd then have to gift Young a game. I don't think Kenny has faith in those two players. I'd play AJ over Young any day.

Thats always a possibility, but they've been in form for longer so they are more likely to perform.

Secondly it sends a message - if your dropped you have to find form and earn your spot back.

Ridiculous is rating Young as a better forward from one garbage stat stuffer season where he constantly pushed forward and was defensively unaccountable, scoring off of the back of the hard work of others. At least Aaron is trying to play defense this year (he's actually having a better year this year than last year as a forward) so I'll give him that.

This is an even more ridiculous statement than the last one.

If I may take us off on a bit of a tangent, do you think Tony Lockett was any good? Only 0.5 tackles a game throughout his career, not too flash. Wayne Carey slightly better with 1.2 tackles per game, but still, would we want a guy like prime Wayne Carey in the side or would he be too much of a liability defensively?

How defensive do you need to be when you're getting the ball and kicking snags?

Young vs Monfries record at the Cattery.

Young - 1 game 0 goals
Monfries - 1 game 7 goals

I'd rather we took the chance on Gus who for some reason played a career PB at a renowed football graveyard for travelling teams.

Young is out of form, Gus is a wildcard.

Still, that was 4 years ago. Not sure we can bring that form into it.

If I may take us off on a bit of a tangent, do you think Tony Lockett was any good? Only 0.5 tackles a game throughout his career, not too flash. Wayne Carey slightly better with 1.2 tackles per game, but still, would we want a guy like prime Wayne Carey in the side or would he be too much of a liability defensively?

Neither Lockett nor Carey were general forwards in an era where the ability to generate repeat entries inside 50 and protect the defence from score launches generated from half back were important.

But I'm sure you knew that already :)

So sick of this defensive crap. You win by scoring more goals not by making more tackles. Yes our pressure has been fantastic but our F50 efficiency has been garbage and has cost us multiple games against the better sides. FIX please.

If that was the case, then Hinkley is clueless. Monfries is a proven match winner, an excellent defensive forward that excels at targeting the opposition half back and a proven set shot for goal, and he deserves the opportunity to play in a functional forward line with a fit Dixon instead of a crocked Jay Schulz, where he would flourish. He's a superior forward to the vastly overrated Young in every single aspect of the game. The two aren't even in the same orbit in terms of talent and forward craft.

If we want to win a flag, we play Gus. It's that simple. No one is scared of what Joe the Goose Young can do in the forward line.

I would say it's more that Monfries missed the entire preseason with his shoulder and then the first four weeks with his hamstring and so needs to get up to match fitness with a mini-preseason. With Young and Ah Chee missing, Gus should go into the midfield for the Magpies this week and dominate. He's played wing, he's played forward, he's played down back - all that's left is the midfield. Once he can prove himself in the middle, he'll come in to the AFL side with Wingard in two weeks time.

Guess who we are playing then? Those campaigners from Essendon. You couldn't write a better script, because it was those ****silly people that told him not to take any deals and stick together. You better believe he'd be fired up for that game.

I'm hoping you're right, if Monfries is up to it he's a valuable player.

I'm ok with Youngy coming back in. Would have been happy with Gus, but theres some fair overrating of Gus going on here
And you are a fan if my memory is correct. My opinion - he cant kick over a jam jar, misses easy goals and has poor judgement. But hes a good agitator and the players love him

j32lgxlw_fqjtq8_thj86w.png

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Devils advocate, but could Monfries be serving an in-house suspension for his role in the Impey incident? Conspiracy theory, but i'm pretty triggered they picked Young over him.
I was wondering the same but didn't want to insinuate.

It could have been a suspension from when he was genuinely considered for selection.

Very unlikely though

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Young is healthy I have no qualms about his selection, but if his shoulder is still cooked - at least to the point of not being able to effectively overhead mark - I'll be cross like Daniel.

I too think the defensive focus of so many of Janus's views is ridiculous. I do however agree that Gus is a much better player than Young. He has forward smarts that are arguably the best in our team and can step up in big games. He's also our only proper agitator to get under opposition skin.

In a season of dismal system and structure inside 50 killing all our good work something has to change in there, and short of going back to 2012 and offering a lift to Schulzy in the Delorean Monfries in is our best bet.

Sent from mTalk

Young has played one season at a forward for a goal tally of 37. Monfries has played eleven seasons as a forward and he's bettered that goal tally once.

I would've liked Monfries in ahead of Young this week because Monfries is in better form, but this paragraph is ridiculous.

Young > Dixon?

Sent from mTalk

People bemoan our lack of efficiency going forward and poor conversion on set shots.

Which of our forwards was actually drafted to play as a forward? Not Trengove, not Young, not Ah Chee, not Sam Gray, not Jarman Impey. Robbie Gray maybe but even he is a triple best and fairest winning midfielder. Charlie Dixon is the only player currently playing in our forward line who was picked to play AFL based on his prowess as a forward.

This is why Angus Monfries is so important. He's a natural forward who knows how to lead, knows where to run, knows how to kick goals. It's disappointing that we've finally got him fit and in form and yet refuse to play him.

People bemoan our lack of efficiency going forward and poor conversion on set shots.

Which of our forwards was actually drafted to play as a forward? Not Trengove, not Young, not Ah Chee, not Sam Gray, not Jarman Impey. Robbie Gray maybe but even he is a triple best and fairest winning midfielder. Charlie Dixon is the only player currently playing in our forward line who was picked to play AFL based on his prowess as a forward.

This is why Angus Monfries is so important. He's a natural forward who knows how to lead, knows where to run, knows how to kick goals. It's disappointing that we've finally got him fit and in form and yet refuse to play him.

You've hit it on the head here, i was saying at work a few weeks back. We are dominating the AFL in inside 50s but are defiantly lacking scoring power inside 50 and we say what happened when west coast shut down Robbie.

With Wingard out their is a good chance Gray plays a lot in the middle (where he is named) which leaves up with nothing up forward other then Dixon.

Devils advocate, but could Monfries be serving an in-house suspension for his role in the Impey incident? Conspiracy theory, but i'm pretty triggered they picked Young over him.
From Ken's presser yesterday;

Q. How close is Gus to an AFL recall?
A. He's like about six to eight others in the SNAFL, there's really strong form down there and those blokes need to continue to play well and obviously be patient

tin_foil.jpg

EDDY

i just dont like the fact our forward pressure will be non exsistant again with young in... between him and robbie gray running around on one leg, or groin, the pressure drops again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back