Preview Changes vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd be happy letting the Weid or TMac do the backup ruck work. Don't see much point in bringing another tall in to give Max a chop out for 5 minutes a quarter when we don't have a spot for another tall in the side.

They're alright as centre bounce ruckmen where they've got the midfield to save them, but we get massacred at stoppages around the ground when Gawn is off. Weid cost us two goals by having NFI what to do at defensive stoppages, and when McDonald does it forward he's just competing and hoping for the best rather than setting up scoring chances. I'd play Preuss just because a) after we were so limp the other day I'd like somebody in the side who at least looks angry and b) he was good in that first practice game when played purely as the backup ruckman, I'm not getting hung up on that Richmond disaster when they tried to play him in the Gawn role and he died from exhaustion.

It’s bad for his confidence too. He’s clearly not meant for the role, let him focus on what he does well.

Yeah Id imagine giving up their first goal and then the goal that put them in front wouldn't have been good. Preuss can also help with those spoils down back, I doubt Westhoff marks uncontested ( * sake ) directly in front in the last if either Gawn or Preuss drops back

Out: Hore, O Mac, Sparrow (thought he debuted well but out for team balance)
In: May, KK, Preuss

B: Michael Hibberd, Stephen May, Neville Jetta
HB: Jayden Hunt, Sam Frost, Christian Salem
C: Kade Kolodashnij, Clayton Oliver, Bayley Fritsch
HF: Alex Neal-Bullen, Tom McDonald, Christian Petracca
F: Jake Melksham, Braydon Preuss, Sam Weideman
FOL: Max Gawn, James Harmes, Angus Brayshaw
I/C: Charlie Spargo, Nathan Jones, Corey Wagner, Jack Viney

If KK not ready then keep Sparrow in I guess.

Very keen to hear how Kolodhashnij goes in the VFL today. Let's hope he dominates and bangs the door down for next week. Exactly the type of player we need if he's right to go
From the MFC site:
Recruit Kade Kolodjashnij collected plenty of ball in his first hitout of the pre-season after an adductor injury hampered his preparation post-Christmas.
Sounds promising.

Just for those that think outside speed + class = wins

Essendon in the last 2 years have added
Smith
Saad
Sheil
McGrath
Stringer
To a side with leg speed an lost by 72 points

North added
Polec
Hall
Pittard
Lost by 86 points
North are slow as * Hall isnt fast plus runs 1 way added Tyson also.
Bombers lost their quickest player the main thing was they ran 100kms less than the giants pathetic effort. Every team that looked faster won more to do with ball movement but also having alot of faster players. Freo looked quick but added pace with alot of young fellas plus adding Colyer

You don’t bring in KK when we already look unfit. Viney and Jones supposedly did really well for Casey, big difference at AFL level. I’ve got hope KK could be excellent for us but I’d give him at least two more games at VFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They're alright as centre bounce ruckmen where they've got the midfield to save them, but we get massacred at stoppages around the ground when Gawn is off. Weid cost us two goals by having NFI what to do at defensive stoppages, and when McDonald does it forward he's just competing and hoping for the best rather than setting up scoring chances. I'd play Preuss just because a) after we were so limp the other day I'd like somebody in the side who at least looks angry and b) he was good in that first practice game when played purely as the backup ruckman, I'm not getting hung up on that Richmond disaster when they tried to play him in the Gawn role and he died from exhaustion.

It was boobish from the Weid and it might have cost us a couple of goals, but it's not hard to not do that dumb s**t again. Given we just got murdered by a faster, younger, fitter side, I really don't think we should be doubling down and going even slower.

Garlett is definitely in the best 22 too, because nobody else can do what he does. Even still, a hugely uninspiring list given three are borderline 22 and Lever is months away

He's definitely not in the best 22 - refer last season for evidence. It's true that nobody else can do the things he does, but it's also true that for 95% of gametime, Garlett can't do those things either.

Last edited:
He's definitely not in the best 22 - refer last season for evidence. It's true that nobody else can do the things he does, but it's also true that for 95% of gametime, Garlett can't do those things either.
To be fair he is one of the most soft and unaccountable hacks on our list, so I guess if you want that...

Out: Hore, O Mac, Sparrow (thought he debuted well but out for team balance)
In: May, KK, Preuss

B: Michael Hibberd, Stephen May, Neville Jetta
HB: Jayden Hunt, Sam Frost, Christian Salem
C: Kade Kolodashnij, Clayton Oliver, Bayley Fritsch
HF: Alex Neal-Bullen, Tom McDonald, Christian Petracca
F: Jake Melksham, Braydon Preuss, Sam Weideman
FOL: Max Gawn, James Harmes, Angus Brayshaw
I/C: Charlie Spargo, Nathan Jones, Corey Wagner, Jack Viney

If KK not ready then keep Sparrow in I guess.
I didn't watch the match (thank God) but i like these changes.

In: May
Out: Hore

The "Outside pace and speed" thing is such a myth IMO. You look quick as a team when you run to smart positions for each other, make space and force your opponents to move to spaces you want them to, allowing you to move the ball down the field.

When you do this effectively, you look quicker than the opposition and make them look tired as a result because they spend so much time chasing ass. That's exactly what we did a lot of on Saturday, chase ass. This is amplified in the heat.

So many times we looked ****ed and just standing hand on hip. Many times when we had the ball at half back we had 5-10 players in the D50 BEHIND the bloke with the ball. That's half your options behind you. We were too ****ed to turn defense into attack even when we had the pill so momentum never turned back our way.

Frost as dumb as the campaigner is at least tried to run and carry a bit (although he ****ed it up every single time) so I wouldn't want him dropped.

Goody suggesting no overreactions suggests to me only May comes in but it'll probably be May IN Frost OUT. Preuss maybe in also depending if Gawn needs a chop out, then maybe Preuss in for Sparrow but doubt it.

Hopefully we can smash the pussy this week but depends a lot on fitness I think!

Ins-
May (Obviously), Lewis (personally I think he is over the hill but he is on the field for his direction and the runner issue), Preuss (to play 30% ruck time and be the focal.point up forward to give TMac more opportunities)

Outs-
Frost (decision making was disgraceful and deserves a week or more in the VFL until Oscar stuffs up lol), Hore (hardly noticed him but when I did he looks shorter than the 190cm claimed) Spargo (did ok but I think Wagner played better and deserves another crack)

B- Jetta(Ablett/Dangerfield), May (Hawkins), Hibberd (Rohan)
HB- Salem, OMac (Ratu), Lewis
C- Jones, Viney, Hunt
HF- Petracca, Weideman, Harmes
F- Melksham, Preuss, TMac
Ruck- Gawn, Oliver, Brayshaw
Int- Sparrow, Wagner, ANB, Fritsch

Ins-
May (Obviously), Lewis (personally I think he is over the hill but he is on the field for his direction and the runner issue), Preuss (to play 30% ruck time and be the focal.point up forward to give TMac more opportunities)

Outs-
Frost (decision making was disgraceful and deserves a week or more in the VFL until Oscar stuffs up lol), Hore (hardly noticed him but when I did he looks shorter than the 190cm claimed) Spargo (did ok but I think Wagner played better and deserves another crack)

B- Jetta(Ablett/Dangerfield), May (Hawkins), Hibberd (Rohan)
HB- Salem, OMac (Ratu), Lewis
C- Jones, Viney, Hunt
HF- Petracca, Weideman, Harmes
F- Melksham, Preuss, TMac
Ruck- Gawn, Oliver, Brayshaw
Int- Sparrow, Wagner, ANB, Fritsch
Pretty sure Lewis is still injured?

It was boobish from the Weid and it might have cost us a couple of goals, but it's not hard to not do that dumb s**t again. Given we just got murdered by a faster, younger, fitter side, I really don't think we should be doubling down and going even slower.

What did we recruit the bloke for if it wasn't to play as a second ruckman? Especially considering Geelong will obviously go the biff on Gawn now that it's worked twice in a row. Given that our forward entry tactic is kick it long and hope for the best I can handle all three being down there.

A bit of a perfect s**t storm going on at the moment in relation to our team. Vandenberg - Gone
Viney - Severely underdone (Gone?)
Jones - Declining
Combine this with 6-6-6 and our main strength as a contested ball / clearance winning team has been dealt significant damage.

Where to from here?
Well we can try to get more zippy or we can double down and go for fitter tough players. As May is coming in, that’s plus one tough bastard, and hopefully he doesn’t get suspended.
I’d also bring in Preuss, just to add some hurt factor, which I think is lacking with the injuries to Viney etc. and stuff talls /smalls ratios. If Preuss kills two small Geelong runners, then their talls: smalls ratio will be out worse then ours.
I’d also bring in Kolo, in an attempt to bring a bit of spread and outside finesse to a team that should otherwise aim to stick to it’s strengths and give old Geelong bastards like GAJ a torrid time in the physicality stakes. So:
In: May, Preuss, Kolo
Out: Viney (get him right, but didn’t he have all pre season to get right? I’m concerned for his career)
Omac (he needs to get some mongrel. Let him play VFL until he has some)
Spargo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back