Preview Changes vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

What did we recruit the bloke for if it wasn't to play as a second ruckman? Especially considering Geelong will obviously go the biff on Gawn now that it's worked twice in a row. Given that our forward entry tactic is kick it long and hope for the best I can handle all three being down there.

As a backup ruckman, I would have thought. The only way he should get a regular gig is if Gawn gets injured.

Issue I have with bringing Preuss in is he doesn't have a tank, he's not the modern archetypal mobile big man and is at best an OK ruck option. He doesn't really do anything else other than lumber around and try and ragdoll the odd bloke. Why bring someone in who'll be doing what they do best for 20% of the game at most, and their best is relatively poor compared to others. We're crying out for players who can run, spread and link up play so why select a slow lumbering bloke who'll at best be semi-useful in the ruck for a third of the game?

Out:
Hore - just not ready yet,
Omac - don't want to watch him get destroyed playing on anyone heavier than 75kg next week.... needs to spend a couple of months in the gym so he's not getting rag dolled every 2 seconds.

In:
Preuss - would like a gorilla to hit some of the opp mids/rucks. He fits the bill.
May - Some big backman class to replace Oscar.

So if Gawn gets bashed pillar to post again and May lays out a Geelong player in the first 10minutes to stand up for our big man are we all gonna cry or go atleast some campaigner is being physical? I guess it'll depend on the outcome of the game. But after Christians comments today a player needs to have a concussion test or have broken ribs to get suspended.

As a backup ruckman, I would have thought. The only way he should get a regular gig is if Gawn gets injured.

Issue I have with bringing Preuss in is he doesn't have a tank, he's not the modern archetypal mobile big man and is at best an OK ruck option. He doesn't really do anything else other than lumber around and try and ragdoll the odd bloke. Why bring someone in who'll be doing what they do best for 20% of the game at most, and their best is relatively poor compared to others. We're crying out for players who can run, spread and link up play so why select a slow lumbering bloke who'll at best be semi-useful in the ruck for a third of the game?

No chance, the idea of recruiting him was clearly to play with two ruckmen. Not concerned about the tank when he won't be on the ball for the majority of the game. If they're expecting another season where Gawn has 1100 hitouts and the next best player has 60 I'll go hee. And if they've recruited a guy with no tank to play full games in the ruck if Gawn goes down then the 2009 era nutters must be back in charge.

No chance, the idea of recruiting him was clearly to play with two ruckmen. Not concerned about the tank when he won't be on the ball for the majority of the game. If they're expecting another season where Gawn has 1100 hitouts and the next best player has 60 I'll go hee. And if they've recruited a guy with no tank to play full games in the ruck if Gawn goes down then the 2009 era nutters must be back in charge.

That's what the idea might have been, but maybe he's just not that good? Not going to harp on about it, but I really don't see the point of wasting a spot in the 22 on someone who isn't great and will only be used as a fill in to give someone else a chop out. Why not let TMac have a few squirts in the middle to give Gawn a rest?

That's what the idea might have been, but maybe he's just not that good? Not going to harp on about it, but I really don't see the point of wasting a spot in the 22 on someone who isn't great and will only be used as a fill in to give someone else a chop out. Why not let TMac have a few squirts in the middle to give Gawn a rest?

Assuming our list management team are no longer total clowns I don't know how they'd have gone from deliberately seeking him out to him being shite based on one practice game where he looked good as the second ruck and one where he looked like he was near death as the first ruck + two outings at Casey. I'd like to see him as a third tall in the forward line to give us another target for our panic bomb kicks, and to take some heat off McDonald who is being molested by defenders whenever the ball goes down there.

The centre bounces are not the problem. James Harmes took one last year and we kicked a goal. It's stoppages around the ground where get get nothing (or less than nothing on Saturday in Weid's case) if Gawn isn't there.

Assuming our list management team are no longer total clowns I don't know how they'd have gone from deliberately seeking him out to him being shite based on one practice game where he looked good as the second ruck and one where he looked like he was near death as the first ruck + two outings at Casey. I'd like to see him as a third tall in the forward line to give us another target for our panic bomb kicks, and to take some heat off McDonald who is being molested by defenders whenever the ball goes down there.

The centre bounces are not the problem. James Harmes took one last year and we kicked a goal. It's stoppages around the ground where get get nothing (or less than nothing on Saturday in Weid's case) if Gawn isn't there.

Yeah I think the new ruck rule has made a huge difference, being able to take it out of the ruck now means that if you don't compete it's an easy clearance. Can't just send a part time anymore

If he was genuinely any good, I'd imagine Norf would have made room for him in their side instead of letting him go for a song and a prayer.

I'd rather we didn't panic bomb it into the forward line at all and actually tried kicking to advantage. Do something about the root cause rather than hoping a second mediocre ruck / crap third forward will fix things.

I love it how every one including the media say that May was stupid for his bump, an that those little jumper punches deserve a suspension. Yet at the same time praise port for targeting max an saying that we should have helped him.

Watch Salem get a week next week for being aggressive an everyone sooking

I love it how every one including the media say that May was stupid for his bump, an that those little jumper punches deserve a suspension. Yet at the same time praise port for targeting max an saying that we should have helped him.

Watch Salem get a week next week for being aggressive an everyone sooking

Yeah I don't see the difference between one if those rib tickle punches and a little bump like what was happening to Gawn.

Not that I think they should be ruled out! But they are essentially the same thing ey

Yeah I don't see the difference between one if those rib tickle punches and a little bump like what was happening to Gawn.

Not that I think they should be ruled out! But they are essentially the same thing ey

Ask anyone what would you prefer? Looking at someone in the eyes an copping a little jab to the rib or running to make a contest an getting hit by a 100kg bloke coming the opposite way.

I'd rather see blokes allowed a little leg rope to be aggressive but it's a strange world.

If Jonas got a week an port lost everyone would be saying how he lacked discipline an was a sniper etc

Ask anyone what would you prefer? Looking at someone in the eyes an copping a little jab to the rib or running to make a contest an getting hit by a 100kg bloke coming the opposite way.

I'd rather see blokes allowed a little leg rope to be aggressive but it's a strange world.

If Jonas got a week an port lost everyone would be saying how he lacked discipline an was a sniper etc
Leg rope?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let’s be rational here
- cats are going to belt us
- we need to hurt them / take them down with us
- B dog can provide the most hurt
=> we play Preuss

So another image of our lack of discipline from fox footy. This was a boundary throw in where all the dees players started next to their opponent. Look how it progresses
20190325_140615.jpg

Now look at the discipline from Port. That's a clear instruction to let us chase the ball and it's an extraordinary lack of discipline from our players.

There is 2 captains an our best player doing that.
Even if we win the ball there's only 2 options. Handball to a bloke a metre away or belt it forward. That midfield mix needs to change

20190325_140948.jpg

So another image of our lack of discipline from fox footy. This was a boundary throw in where all the dees players started next to their opponent. Look how it progresses
View attachment 642098

Now look at the discipline from Port. That's a clear instruction to let us chase the ball and it's an extraordinary lack of discipline from our players.

Even if we win the ball there's only 2 options. Handball to a bloke a metre away or belt it forward. That midfield mix needs to change

View attachment 642099
I noticed this on Saturday, being at the game really showed how port are willing to run harder and that they were more disciplined to hold their positions, as soon as they got the ball you could see the whole link up unfolding.

Frustrating to sit there and watch that when clearly Goody saw the same but either didnt instruct the players to do anything differently or the players didnt bother listening.

I noticed this on Saturday, being at the game really showed how port are willing to run harder and that they were more disciplined to hold their positions, as soon as they got the ball you could see the whole link up unfolding.

Frustrating to sit there and watch that when clearly Goody saw the same but either didnt instruct the players to do anything differently or the players didnt bother listening.

It has to be instruction. If I an probably a bunch of you guys can notice it during the game then the coaches can. It has to be the plan to swarm the man with the ball an not let it get on the outside.

It has to be instruction. If I an probably a bunch of you guys can notice it during the game then the coaches can. It has to be the plan to swarm the man with the ball an not let it get on the outside.

Yeah I agree, as you pointed out in your previous post that gives you no opportunity to get the ball out to a runner, last year we played our best football when we let our contested beasts get in and shovel it out to our runners.

I really hope Goody hasn't decided to change the way we played from last year, other than the Eagles game we had a really good back ens of the season.

Yeah I agree, as you pointed out in your previous post that gives you no opportunity to get the ball out to a runner, last year we played our best football when we let our contested beasts get in and shovel it out to our runners.

I really hope Goody hasn't decided to change the way we played from last year, other than the Eagles game we had a really good back ens of the season.

Yeah let's say we won the ball in that photo? We have no choice but to either keep it in tight or kick it long under pressure with no space.

I think it works later in the year when the bodies are tired an the games tighten up, those kids aren't gonna be running as far after a full season of getting bashed up but surely we don't have to be so pig headed early in the season an sacrifice results to play 'finals footy'

View attachment 642098

View attachment 642099
It's crazy how similar this looks to the issues we had last year, that we looked to resolve at the end of the year. I don't get how we get to that point.

It's crazy how similar this looks to the issues we had last year, that we looked to resolve at the end of the year. I don't get how we get to that point.

I'm trying to be rational about it. I think the game naturally tightens up at the end of the year as the wear an tear takes it toll. That run an gun style normally falls apart in September an gives way to contested footy so I'd assume we are playing now how we wanna play later in the year. Surely though you can be flexible when it's not working early.

I'm trying to be rational about it. I think the game naturally tightens up at the end of the year as the wear an tear takes it toll. That run an gun style normally falls apart in September an gives way to contested footy so I'd assume we are playing now how we wanna play later in the year. Surely though you can be flexible when it's not working early.

There needs to be a plan B, both at a high level (ie not just playing finals footy all year) and during the game when teams get a run on. It might be as easy as playing (and staying) Man on Man for a set period of time or in certain scenarios. But it seems doubly pig headed to not adjust our style during the match itself

There needs to be a plan B, both at a high level (ie not just playing finals footy all year) and during the game when teams get a run on. It might be as easy as playing (and staying) Man on Man for a set period of time or in certain scenarios. But it seems doubly pig headed to not adjust our style during the match itself
It's a strange contradiction. You go out an draft a tonne of contested ball players an then make them all stand near each other. Surely if they are so good at winning contested footy the nightmare as an opponent is having to beat them 1 on 1.

It's a strange contradiction. You go out an draft a tonne of contested ball players an then make them all stand near each other. Surely if they are so good at winning contested footy the nightmare as an opponent is having to beat them 1 on 1.
Agree. And I wondered about this on Saturday. A lot. If we’re such an amazing contested ball team then why exactly do we need between 7 and 10 blokes going after every ball?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back