Opinion Changes vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Can you translate some of this? Sounds super insightful but you have totally lost me.
Spot what works, what's needed, fill in the blanks Bev persevered too long with the unworkable structure, 2 spring heeled forwards, a mid sized (in and out Hannon or defensive Cordy) and rotating smalls. It didn't work, we lost 6 games. For the last 3 weeks, we've had 1 spring heeled, Naughton; Bont, a mix of smalls, Scott/McLeod/ Van Der Meer. We win. Less predictable

Last edited:

The coaching staff and the club ask way too much of Naughton. Yes the bloke is lauded in the media (and rightfully so) but anyone who truly evaluates the task this guy is given week to week really knows he's basically underrated. Lets run through the challenges he has.

- For starters the club has the added number around the ball. Often meaning the additional spare defender plonks themselves in front of Naughton. Allowing his direct opponent to grab and niggle him from the back position. A common misconception opposition supporters say about Naughton is that due to the mids we have, that he gets it on a platter. Well basically that platter involves him against 2 defenders.

- A revolving door of KPP partners, one week it could be buku, one week it could be JUH, one week it could be schache, one week it could be cordy. God only knows how he's suppose to form any continuity with a KPF partner. Makes it even more difficult for him when we are trying to maximise the amount of game time as possible whilst also managing players like buku and JUH who don't have the tank to get up the ground that much, nor play 80% TOG.

- Once again a revolving door of small forwards that could change weekly, and the added fact that Beveridge might give Bont time up their to alleviate the pressure off him, but the next week the role for Bontempelli could be flipped on its head.

- Throw in that he now has to perform ruck duties in forward 50 plus kick all the goals.

Probably needs an extra 0 in his next pay check.
Here's your platter Astro

images

I'm not really sure splitting hairs between Buku's 64% time on ground and Sweet's 71% is really as strong as a point you're making, especially as Sweet also only played 64% and 67% time on ground in the two matches he played with English last year.

If anything, the fact that all of our bigs - forward and back - had less time on ground than usual kinda proves the point that we were one too big, and we tried to actually put a smaller 18 on the park. The rotation on the right reads more like the TOG that our bigs typically play when fully fit, and the extra small rotation gives our midfield better rest and cover for very minimal change to our structure:
R11R12 (Predicted)
Gardner, Ryan
93​
100​
Keath, Alex
91​
100​
Naughton, Aaron
84​
90​
O'Brien, Tim
83​
88​
English, Tim
80​
85​
Sweet, Jordon
71​
0​
Khamis, Buku
64​
75​
566​
538​

Say O'Brien and not Khamis rucks 20% of the game. We functionally have as tall of a defence as we did last week, and are a bit smaller up forward (28% of the game), possibly counterbalanced by Bont playing more time up there.
Why is Sweets TOG relevant though? it’s about Bukus, whose role becomes super important as our 2nd tall and only 2nd ruck. Even at 65% he’s been a non factor in the last quarter of every game he’s played And that’s just as a forward now we’re asking him (if as expected he rucks) to completely expand his role and ruck against two aerobic beasts, plus he becomes more important down forward as he’s our only other tall. Last week he played 64% of the game in the forward line and Sweet played 30-40% forward, this week If he has to ruck for up to 30% of the game he’ll spend maybe another 30% forward and Naughty will spend up to 70% of the game one out, enjoy Stewart can I bet on him to have 15 intercept marks?

Means Bont goes forward which he’s not even great at and we lose our best mid, lose a full game ruck advantage, which would lead us to dominate the midfield (with 100% genuine rucks & Bont) and all we’d have to sacrifice is a turnover merchant like McComb…

It’s fraught with danger and I don’t see how anyone could have confidence in it working from what we’ve seen. I hope it does I love Buku and him being good in the ruck solves a lot of problems for us but I don’t think the role will suit him at this stage of his AFL career and even if he is we still need an extra tall forward

Last edited:
I had a look at Geelong’s line up, a very weak midfield, the two talls and one crafty small, defence Stewart and a talented kid that has played 12 games, athletic hybrid rucks, come on we can take them at Marvel.

Gardie will play a blinder against his old team.

tonight is season defining, we should win. A loss, with our difficult second half season draw, means a 7 or 8 place finish is best and we cant contend.

my concern is that our bottom 4 or 5 that have been competitive recently will all have stinkers together against better opposition (McComb, Scott, McNeil, Buku, West). I am bullish though about West and McNeil. I think if we lose it will because of the bottom end.

i would have brought back Wallis for this one, hope he is sub

tonight is season defining, we should win. A loss, with our difficult second half season draw, means a 7 or 8 place finish is best and we cant contend.

my concern is that our bottom 4 or 5 that have been competitive recently will all have stinkers together against better opposition (McComb, Scott, McNeil, Buku, West). I am bullish though about West and McNeil. I think if we lose it will because of the bottom end.

Yeah I feel the same, our top end is much stronger than it has been though so should cover. So long as all of them don’t we stinkers we should be fine.

Agree on Wally with the short forward line we have and the oppo we’re up against, these are the perfect games he actually has a spot available for

I'm happy with the side this week, going shorter against an older Geelong is the way to go. Run and dash, beat them up around the ball and make opportunities happen, don't just bomb it in there.

Don't forget O'brien did backup ruck for Hawthorn and can also be thrown forward, which I think is a big possibility this week. His flexibility will come in handy this week.

I had a look at Geelong’s line up, a very weak midfield, the two talls and one crafty small, defence Stewart and a talented kid that has played 12 games, athletic hybrid rucks, come on we can take them at Marvel.

Gardie will play a blinder against his old team.

Agreed. I was baffled when I came into this thread to see all the negativity. Baz is a huge in and we should romp them at Marvel. If we want to play finals and push for top 4 these are the games we need to win. No more excuses.

I'm pumped for a Bulldogs game for the first time this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Massive game.

Feel if Naughton gets a good match up (hopefully De Koning), we can clamp down Stewart and get on top in the midfield we should win.

Keath to Hawkins and Gardy to Cameron? Or other way round?
Ed to clamp down Stengle.

Massive game.

Feel if Naughton gets a good match up (hopefully De Koning), we can clamp down Stewart and get on top in the midfield we should win.

Keath to Hawkins and Gardy to Cameron? Or other way round?
Ed to clamp down Stengle.
Keath to Hawkins and Gardy to Cameron id say, they’re actually not the worst match ups. Gardy did good on Buddy, he’s not the worst on the more athletic types

Would have liked to see a tall come in for sweet, guess we will see Bont forward more.

Not surprised with sweet being out if he isn’t being used at least 50/50 in the ruck there is no point playing him as he is not a forward.

Would have given JUH a run given his confidence would be up atm and he Naughton and Buku could have caused Geelong some match up issues and forced Stewart to be accountable.

I think we give up 6-8 goals from Hawkins and Cameron no matter what, so the match will turn on whether we allow Rohan, Stengle and the other smalls to kick them up to a winning score.

I think we give up 6-8 goals from Hawkins and Cameron no matter what, so the match will turn on whether we allow Rohan, Stengle and the other smalls to kick them up to a winning score.
They only combined for 3 last year at their home ground in hot form. Lot wider ground and better conditions don’t suit their game style

I am hoping none from throw-ins or forward ball-up clearances?

What is the over/under on McComb kicking it directly to the opposition ?

I'd set the line at 3x but that be a little generous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back