Opinion Changes vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Imo I think sweet should be considered to play on a week to week basis.

Obviously this week was a trial, next week we play a Geelong with basically no sole Ruck, the only reason you would play sweet is if English can’t run out the game which we all saw last night that he could. If we find ourselves against a team that goes in with two big rucks I think sweet should be definitely I’m consideration but this week is definitely more important to stretch Stewart and geelongs defence playing both jammarra and buku

We need to consider the possibility of Bevo bringing in 'mud guts' for Sweety to play a defensive forward role on Stewart and chop out in the ruck

Let's do a thought experiment.

Imagine that you're Tom Stewart. Now imagine that you find out on Wednesday night than Josh Schache is being brought into the Bulldogs side to negate you. Which of the following best describes your reaction:

A) You begin to tremble in fear.
B) A wry grin forms on your face and you crack your knuckles with excitement.
C) You begin laughing maniacally, so hard that you lose control of your bladder for a microsecond

Imagine that you're Tom Stewart. Now imagine that you find out on Wednesday night than Josh Schache is being brought into the Bulldogs side to negate you. Which of the following best describes your reaction:

C) You begin laughing maniacally, so hard that you lose control of your bladder for a microsecond
D) You go straight to the fridge and crack the top off a cold one in celebration whilst simultaneously giving the bird to the no alcohol during the week policy

If not Schache do you prefer Sweet or Cordy for the role? The only alternative I see is to play the extra small and use O’Brien for the 25% 2nd ruck role - for those minutes Williams rolls back and Bont plays on-ball (so he can drop back) not forward.

If not Schache do you prefer Sweet or Cordy for the role? The only alternative I see is to play the extra small and use O’Brien for the 25% 2nd ruck role - for those minutes Williams rolls back and Bont plays on-ball (so he can drop back) not forward.

Yeah, nah. All of those options sound like a losing strategy to me. It will more likely be a team/system adjustment to get around Stewart than to bring in a spud to do a s**t job of manning him up.

Yeah, nah. All of those options sound like a losing strategy to me. It will more likely be a team/system adjustment to get around Stewart than to bring in a spud to do a s**t job of manning him up.
Sure but Stewart will just go stand next to the spudiest-spud so the question is who do you want that to be between Sweet, Cordy or Schache (or none in which case who takes the 2nd ruck role)?

Sure but Stewart will just go stand next to the spudiest-spud so the question is who do you want that to be between Sweet, Cordy or Schache (or none in which case who takes the 2nd ruck role)?

Probably Buku to take the centre bounces when English is off. One of Dunks, Bont or Macrae to take the hitouts around the ground. Whomever Stewart stands next to at centre bounce isn't that important. In general play he is usually playing as an extra/loose defender.

i wonder what he would think if Zaine Cordy was his opponent. Cords has the speed and turning circle of Mick Nolan. I think he could get 60 disposals on Cords. But cords had 6 disposals in the Vfl and we know Roarke got promoted with 9 so he is likely.

If Bukus in I’d task him with the role on Stewart, has the aerial ability to compete, experience as a defender should come in handy too. Plus he has the ability to actually be a threat which Cordy doesn’t - which is super important in a defensive role. Big ask and he’ll probably tire out by the end of the game but I think he’s our best choice for it, plus it’ll be a huge learning experience for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to see us continue with the 2 rucks experiment. It gives English more of a spell so he can push harder more often and it increases our chances at winning more stoppages. Plus there's different tactics that we can employ such as using English as a spare defender if the Cats get a run on. Melbourne sometimes do a similar thing with Gawn.

If I had a bit more confidence in our other forward options, it may be a different story. Khamis, Jamarra, Cordy and Schache are all mediocre/below average at this stage.

Last edited:
Before omitting him, I would like us to give Sweet 2-3 games to see if he can get his head around playing forward. Also wouldn’t mind seeing if he’s useful in a game where we’re forced to kick down the line and bomb it into 50 a lot more than we were last night.
We can’t really afford a 2-3 week experiment.

I think the cats have more to worry about than we do. Yes Hawkins, Cameron in attack and Stewart need to be contained. They have to worry about our midfield Bont, Jacko, Bailey, ADZ, Dunks, Libba against a pretty average midfield without Danger and an aging Selwood. Plus Tim and Astro will cause concerns. If we win the midfield clearly as expected I think we win the game. The only game we have lost this season at Marvel was to the blues because of terrible inaccuracy in the last quarter. Dogs by 20 points.

If Bukus in I’d task him with the role on Stewart, has the aerial ability to compete, experience as a defender should come in handy too. Plus he has the ability to actually be a threat which Cordy doesn’t - which is super important in a defensive role. Big ask and he’ll probably tire out by the end of the game but I think he’s our best choice for it, plus it’ll be a huge learning experience for him.
Don’t think he has the tank to be effective on Stewart.

Can see Bev going in smaller and trying to run Geelong off their feet at Marvel. Don't agree with it, but will probably be;

In: Baz
Out: Sweet

That would keave us with one tall forward in Naughton and no chop out option for English for the whole game. Risky.

I agree we Can’t allow that to happen

Need support for both Naughton and English

Remove this Banner Ad

Back