Opinion Changes vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon this is Bedendo's week this week. Comes in for Scott (who goes to sub). Jamarra probably for Buku, Baz and JJ need to come in also, so probably a few unlucky ones to miss such as McComb and or McNeil or potentially a surprise out as usual. Would be very stiff on McNeil in particular, thought he played really well tonight.

I hope there isn’t too many changes. This is the first time in a long time that I actually liked our set up.

Obviously Smith will have to come in for someone, and McComb or Scott will probably be the unlucky one to miss (both have been impressive the last few weeks).

Then there is the question of whether they bring back Ugle-Hagan for Khamis. I want Ugle-Hagan to be in the team every week while Bruce is out so I’m happy if they do that change, wouldn’t be unhappy if Khamis stays in because he has potential there but had an off night tonight.

I’d prefer if we give Sweet an extended run rather than bring Cordy back or go with a Dunkley type as second ruck, but he does offer very little outside of the ruck contest and is obviously a chance of going out.

Please Bevo, just stick fat with two rucks. Give it 4-5 weeks.
One of them is basically a 4th midfielder.
Yeah I hope we persist as well, Timmy could have rucked another 4 quarters tonight and still be going strong but it’s not going to be like that every week - the weeks when we’re up against 2 good rucks Sweet will have more of a role to play. We should do whatever we can to allow Tim to have that sort of output for as long as possible, if that means sacrificing a position on the ground so we can keep Tim fresh to dominate for 60-70% of the game against good ruck duos, we should do it

If we had a good forward who could ruck 20% + of the game then sure but we don’t. So stick fat with Timmy/Sweet and maybe bring in Jamarra for Buku whose has a good taste - Cordy was average in the 2s and Schache was good but we know that’s not going to translate to the seniors

2 rucks is nice in theory, but in reality it is Sweet taking up a spot in the fwd line for 80% of the game where is below average as a forward, slow, just an ok mark and doesn't give much in the way of fwd pressure. That role would obviously be better suited as a tall athletic forward who can give us 20-30 minutes in the middle as a ruck when English needs a break, but Sweet is a ruckman unfortunately and I just don't think he suits this role.

I wouldn't be opposed to giving it another go against Geelong, but long term I can't see him turning into a forward and Tim is too valuable in the middle to shift him out of there...

I was at the game tonight and watching Sweet in the air with his positioning or when the ball hit the deck wasn't pretty. It's not the most familiar role for him to be fair, but just would rather see an actual forward get that role.
If that's the case one of the likely inclusions (Jamarra) might come in for Sweet instead of Khamis, with Buku staying in to chop out in the ruck when English needs a break.

The other obvious inclusion is Bailey Smith (if recovered) for McComb, but really McComb hasn't done a lot wrong. Maybe he becomes the medi-sub.

Cleary back to the VFL unless Richards' elbow injury keeps him out.

JJ played 3 quarters in the VFL. Think he will need to play a full game before being considered, after such a long lay off. Great team effort so only one change.

In: Smith Out: Mc Comb. He has played ok against rubbish opposition, but against a top 4 contender can't find a spot for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If that's the case one of the likely inclusions (Jamarra) might come in for Sweet instead of Khamis, with Buku staying in to chop out in the ruck when English needs a break.

The other obvious inclusion is Bailey Smith (if recovered) for McComb, but really McComb hasn't done a lot wrong. Maybe he becomes the medi-sub.

Cleary back to the VFL unless Richards' elbow injury keeps him out.

Yeah I think we can afford to take it slow with JJ and give him at least one more VFL game before we bring him back in. JUH deserves another run now, probably for Sweet so we still have Buku to spell Tim in the ruck. Buku was quiet but was dangerous at times and flew pretty well. 3 tackles and 3 marks compared to Sweet's 1 and 2, so I would be ok with him getting one more chance.

Was thinking Sweet makes way for Baz but that game was against the most inexperience rucks and sweet will need to be there against Geelong.
Khamis and McComb out for Smith & JUH.

Smith is the only one who should come in. Can't see Beveridge dropping any of his little guys so it will probably be Sweet who makes way.

No need to bring back Ugle-Hagan yet, he can show some consistency in the VFL first. Buku is playing a role right now and earned his spot by demonstrating consistency in the VFL. He shouldn't lose his spot on the back of one big game from Ugle-Hagan in the VFL, especially when Ugle-Hagan has already struggled at AFL level this year.

Smith is the only one who should come in. Can't see Beveridge dropping any of his little guys so it will probably be Sweet who makes way.

No need to bring back Ugle-Hagan yet, he can show some consistency in the VFL first. Buku is playing a role right now and earned his spot by demonstrating consistency in the VFL. He shouldn't lose his spot on the back of one big game from Ugle-Hagan in the VFL, especially when Ugle-Hagan has already struggled at AFL level this year.
I think that's fair.

I wonder whether Sweet wouldn't be/couldn't be a break glass in case of emergency after half time medi-sub next week as insurance against Timmy getting physically hammered and running out of gas.

Geelong's rucks are garbage. Who do they even have? Stanley and...? Tim won't need any help in the ruck next week.

We can't afford to play Sweet against a great team like Geelong. Their defence is extremely solid. We need all of our forwards having a big impact for us to score. Playing Sweet would be giving away a lot for no real benefit.

I hope there isn’t too many changes. This is the first time in a long time that I actually liked our set up.

Obviously Smith will have to come in for someone, and McComb or Scott will probably be the unlucky one to miss (both have been impressive the last few weeks).

Then there is the question of whether they bring back Ugle-Hagan for Khamis. I want Ugle-Hagan to be in the team every week while Bruce is out so I’m happy if they do that change, wouldn’t be unhappy if Khamis stays in because he has potential there but had an off night tonight.

I’d prefer if we give Sweet an extended run rather than bring Cordy back or go with a Dunkley type as second ruck, but he does offer very little outside of the ruck contest and is obviously a chance of going out.
Sweet needs to go. What are you looking for with an extended run, what you saw last night is what you’re going to get. With English back sweet is not needed. He is no good in any other position than a tap ruck and with English in the team sweet is pointless. He’s terrible up fwd.

No brainier bring back Smith and JJ
I would make the swap JUH for Baku who seems to have lost a little edge the last few games.
The rest should depend on match ups
Out of TOB ,,Cordy,, Sweet ,Schache and Gardener .They all have pros and cons and the match committee should decide accordingly . Firstly who can handle Cameron best, then Hawkins and possibly Rohan.Thats where the game will be won or lost .Stop their forwards and we win.

Geelong's rucks are garbage. Who do they even have? Stanley and...? Tim won't need any help in the ruck next week.

We can't afford to play Sweet against a great team like Geelong. Their defence is extremely solid. We need all of our forwards having a big impact for us to score. Playing Sweet would be giving away a lot for no real benefit.
Stanley isn’t even playing they’re using Blicavs and some young fellas

Remove this Banner Ad

Back