Opinion Changes vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we need to be careful with selecting only the one established ruck against West Coast. Granted their ruck stocks are right up there with the worst in the league, but Hawkins is extremely damaging in those forward 50 ruck duels. Do we really want to throw someone like Khamis against him in those contests if English is off the ground.

Ins
JUH, JJ

Outs
Khamis, Mccomb.

Is JUH worthy of a spot after one good game against a non-afl affiliated side?

I think we need to be careful with selecting only the one established ruck against West Coast. Granted their ruck stocks are right up there with the worst in the league, but Hawkins is extremely damaging in those forward 50 ruck duels. Do we really want to throw someone like Khamis against him in those contests if English is off the ground.

Ins
JUH, JJ

Outs
Khamis, Mccomb.
Geelong

That’s two good weeks at VFL level for Jamarra now and two bad weeks for Buku. No harm in him going back to the 2s after a really good taste to continue to work on his game and more importantly, tank. He can barely run out 65% of a game in the forward line I’m not sure we can risk using him as 2nd ruck at AFL level. I feel the team were putting out right now and the footy we’re playing is wayyyy better than when Jamarra was last in so he’ll probably have it a bit easier.

But either way I’m happy to let JUH back it up one more week and give Buku one more go

I think we need to be careful with selecting only the one established ruck against Geelong. Granted their ruck stocks are right up there with the worst in the league, but Hawkins is extremely damaging in those forward 50 ruck duels. Do we really want to throw someone like Khamis against him in those contests if English is off the ground.

Ins
JUH, JJ

Outs
Khamis, Mccomb.
Keath will take most the Hawkins ruck contests.

I'd still like to see the 2 ruck combination as much as possible. That being said the way Sweet was utilised last night probably means that he would be replaced with someone who plays more forward/ruck rather than the other way around.

Darcy could easily be utilised in that role for the next 10 years as early as next season.

Trying to fit Bedendo into the side after his strong few weeks at Footscray, but I can't. Probably not the right time to debut a raw kid in a big game.

McComb started well but faded after the first half. So Bailey Smith will come in for him for mine.

Marra for Buku.

That'd just about be our best side for the year?

That’s two good weeks at VFL level for Jamarra now and two bad weeks for Buku. No harm in him going back to the 2s after a really good taste to continue to work on his game and more importantly, tank. He can barely run out 65% of a game in the forward line I’m not sure we can risk using him as 2nd ruck at AFL level. I feel the team were putting out right now and the footy we’re playing is wayyyy better than when Jamarra was last in so he’ll probably have it a bit easier.

But either way I’m happy to let JUH back it up one more week and give Buku one more go
One good week. He was pretty average the week before. A few very lazy efforts and timely frees. Leave him there for another week.

One good week. He was pretty average the week before. A few very lazy efforts and timely frees. Leave him there for another week.
He does need to string a few together and Khamis can play the second ruck, he was close to being the main ruck in one of our VFL games.

Neither are close to being genuine AFL players yet

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Very interesting week at the selection table. I don’t think I’d be bringing JUH in for Sweet. JUH isn’t the answer yet as the 2nd tall next to Naughton and it’s just setting him up to struggle again. There is merit in looking at JUH for Buku though but that doesn’t solve the Sweet issue. English is our clear number 1 ruck by some margin. Schache or Cordy are really the only alternatives for Sweet for me until Bruce is up and running and neither fill me with confidence. In short, I wouldn’t want to be in the selection committees shoes this week.

I think we need to be careful with selecting only the one established ruck against Geelong. Granted their ruck stocks are right up there with the worst in the league, but Hawkins is extremely damaging in those forward 50 ruck duels. Do we really want to throw someone like Khamis against him in those contests if English is off the ground.

Ins
JUH, JJ

Outs
Khamis, Mccomb.

Playing Sweet because you don’t want Khamis rucking against Hawkins inside our defensive 50 is like not leaving your house because there’s a 1% chance of rain and you’re afraid of drowning.

There’s too much Sweet obsession disorder going round at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would rather see English and Sweet play a bit like Gawn n Jackson where they tandem and choose how much time each play ruck and forward. Like in games against strong defense English plays more forward the game and Sweet takes on ruck for majority. It'll force Stewart to defend if English is forward.
The problem is Sweet is several leagues below both Gawn and Jackson around the ground once a stoppage is cleared.

He's possibly competitive enough in the ruck but then where do you hide him while the rest of the game is going on...

tumblr_inline_oyzwlhqLpV1tg5wat_640.jpg

The only possibility that I can see is that after a CB for example, he runs to and then stays on the sideline wing next to the interchange bench for ease of interchange. He could maybe roam from the centreline up to 1/3rd of the way across the pitch and down as far as the defensive arc but that's it ... let's call it Sector 7G. We also fit an electric shock collar around his neck that is GPS monitored to administer a shock every time he strays from Sector sieben-Grueber.

If he starts, he could be subbed out at half time depending on how beat up English is and the state of the game.

If not starting, he could come on as medi-sub sometime during the second half when Timmy is tiring or we want Timmy out of the heavy lifting ruck duties and roaming.

It's a narrow window for Sweety. IMO his place all comes down to centre bounces and the danger that being trounced in there under the 6 6 6 rule represents (see 2nd half GF last year for reference). However, the opportunity cost weighs heavily.

Haven't ruled it out yet but FMD he's making it hard.

McComb was good last night, his ferocity was at its best, hands super clean and he kicked within his limitations and even laced one out inside 50. So a big step for him. I still have reservations against playing him against good sides but he’s done all that can be asked.

I still think he comes out though for Baz. In reality there’s 4 players competing for similar spots on the ground West, McNeil, Cody & McComb. Cody’s a lock, West should be now and coming down the last two id prefer McNeil due to being a bit more suited to the forward role (if it was a midfield spot then McComb) plus McNeil has better form over the past month so should get the spot on merit anyway.

The other option is Scott but he’s playing a pretty pure wing role at the moment so not really a direct comparison, I think he’s warming Hunters spot personally and will stay until then. Also Scott is more versatile so is a better option in your bottom few players. Either way I don’t mind which one we choose but Baz in is a huge improvement to the team.

JJs the tricky one, I’d probably leave him out due to there being no one worth dropping after last night but anyone who doesn’t think he’s in our best 6 forwards are kidding emselves. He’s straight back in after the bye. No idea who for though, but he’ll be a welcome addition to our forward line.

I really hope we don’t fall into the trap of ruining our structure again for the extra small - just stick to this set up and system for the rest of the year ffs and bring players in and out to suit it as you see fit.

If that means a deserving small like Scott misses out who cares. 3 tall defenders, 2 tall forwards, 1 ruck and 1 2nd ruck/fwd whether that’s Sweet, Cordy Schache who gives a * but that structure stays. Would hate to see us drop Buku or Sweet for JJ and give that set up another whirl when we’ve seen for 5 years time after time it don’t work!!

I remember one game Peter Rhode put Luke Darcy in the starting midfield with Wayde Skipper rucking. Skipper just put it on Darcy's head a few times and we got the clearance.

I would drop Scott for Baz.

McComb is a stronger body and I feel we control the corridor better when he is there.
I would keep Sweet. We have tried the Schache, Kamis, Cordy, Dunkley chop out many times and have fallen short against the good teams. If Sweet into the ruck can stop those opposition 10min blitzes when English is resting, then he stays.
Buku or JUH, I’m kinda ambivalent. I would like to see Buku let off the leash a bit by giving Bont more midfield minutes or having Weightman stay down more. I feel we haven’t really seen what he can do because he’s trying to create space and get out of peoples way all the time.

McComb was good last night, his ferocity was at its best, hands super clean and he kicked within his limitations and even laced one out inside 50. So a big step for him. I still have reservations against playing him against good sides but he’s done all that can be asked.

I still think he comes out though for Baz. In reality there’s 4 players competing for similar spots on the ground West, McNeil, Cody & McComb. Cody’s a lock, West should be now and coming down the last two id prefer McNeil due to being a bit more suited to the forward role (if it was a midfield spot then McComb) plus McNeil has better form over the past month so should get the spot on merit anyway.

The other option is Scott but he’s playing a pretty pure wing role at the moment so not really a direct comparison, I think he’s warming Hunters spot personally and will stay until then. Also Scott is more versatile so is a better option in your bottom few players. Either way I don’t mind which one we choose but Baz in is a huge improvement to the team.

JJs the tricky one, I’d probably leave him out due to there being no one worth dropping after last night but anyone who doesn’t think he’s in our best 6 forwards are kidding emselves. He’s straight back in after the bye. No idea who for though, but he’ll be a welcome addition to our forward line.

I really hope we don’t fall into the trap of ruining our structure again for the extra small - just stick to this set up and system for the rest of the year ffs and bring players in and out to suit it as you see fit.

If that means a deserving small like Scott misses out who cares. 3 tall defenders, 2 tall forwards, 1 ruck and 1 2nd ruck/fwd whether that’s Sweet, Cordy Schache who gives a duck but that structure stays. Would hate to see us drop Buku or Sweet for JJ and give that set up another whirl when we’ve seen for 5 years time after time it don’t work!!

You've become a caricature of yourself

I'd like to see how we operate with a 3 headed monster forward line of Naughton, JUH and Baku.

Granted only one them is a proven monster, but we need to get our head around playing with two mature and one developing talls in the forward half over the coming month.

We also need to begin adjusting the sides mindset for the return of BRUCE!

I think we'll return to type and go with a single athletic ruck and make the most of it when he cant make a contest around the ground.

The issue of Hawkins grabbing the ball out of the ruck isnt going to change on the few occasions that it happens because Sweet may or may not be in the vicinity. He'll monster English and out craft Sweet. We just need to minimise and be alert to the number of opportunities he gets to make it happen.

Anyways, Jeremy Cameron roaming about for entire is a much bigger issue to deal with then a a few defensive ball up in a game is.

In: JUH. Smith.

Out: Sweet. Somebody else.

Im might even get off my arse and go to the game.

Did JJ finish the VFL game yesterday? I feel like he was on restricted minutes so they’ll give him some more time to build up.

English mostly played ruck last night so if that’s going to be the case then Sweet should be dropped. He’s not a forward in any sense. Geelong don’t have dominate ruckman so I’m happy to give Buku a shot as the backup ruck.

In: Baz, JUH
Out: Scott/McComb, Sweet

Remove this Banner Ad

Back