Changes vs Giant Whinging Snowflakes

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure we even have a matchup for Greene. He's too strong for both Duryea and Vandermeer and he's too smart for any of the taller options. Perhaps Richards gets the gig but this could result in leas run off half back. It's a quandary.
Has to be Richards I reckon. Sacrificing some run would be worth it if he can do a job on Greene. B.Williams another option but Greene would smash him when the ball hits the ground.

I'm not sure we even have a matchup for Greene. He's too strong for both Duryea and Vandermeer and he's too smart for any of the taller options. Perhaps Richards gets the gig but this could result in leas run off half back. It's a quandary.
With JJ back it allows Richards the opportunity to take on Green whilst not losing too much run. By far the best option as you have noted

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wonder what will happen to Laith considering he was JJ’s replacement? Does he still play in defence or will he move higher up the ground..?

Has to be Richards I reckon. Sacrificing some run would be worth it if he can do a job on Greene. B.Williams another option but Greene would smash him when the ball hits the ground.
Williams is who I'd choose. He has the tank to go up the ground with him, just keep constant body on him.

VDM surely if one goes forward
Funny coincidence. JJ, VDM and Richards all defenders Bev turned into forwards before switching them back. Dale the odd one out starting as a forward before Bevo moved him back.

Could see him moving anyone of them forward again.

Ins are good, for the love of god just stop with the 3 tall s**t defenders, if they were good fine but they’re not. Just go undersized ffs or at least JOD for Gardner so we’re even slightly better by foot.

West the standard one quiet game and straight out but to be expected. Surely laaaast chance for Doc, very worrying to think he’ll be spending a fair chunk of time on Greene, if recent form is anything to go by he’s going to get monstereeed
Can only assume Bev is wanting to maintain the tall/small structure until Jones is back. My preferred mix if we have to play 3 KPDs is Jones + JOD + Keath/Gardy. Don’t want more than 1 of the current 3.

My overall preferred structure is just the 2 talls, extra runner and English spending more time floating across CHB rather than pushing forward. Buku as the sub so we’re not completely thrown if a KPD gets injured (either Buku back or Buku forward and Naughty back in a pinch). If opposition talls kick and extra couple of goals it’s a fair trade off to not have to see Keath hand balling to a running Gardy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forgot about the 8 defenders, so VDM forward awesome, would be nice to see us learn just once from a mistake. Everyone at this club must be pulling their *ing hair out whilst we continuously run back to the very very dry well

Geez Bevo loves a s**t change every now and then. We’ve named 8 defenders so who’s the odd one out to be played in a random position?

This is yet another game we’re 3 key defenders isn’t remotely needed.

We generally play with 5 forwards outside of CBs as Bevo has mentioned a few times.

Interesting the way other teams play (Port, Melbourne and Pies). Analysis I've seen says Port attack mainly from the midfield forward. The Pies from defense through the midfield. Melbourne have recently tweaked a bit to attack more from defense and less emphasis on contested/clearance wins.

We kind of have a foot in both camps with the capacity to do either with a full strength line up although we've probably been more aligned with Port to this point. However, I get the sense we're building a base of speed in the half backs with the addition of VDM as part of the roster. Richards, JJ and VDM all operating/launching from defense. If there is a tweak looming, I'm thinking it's more score launches from the back half when the fwd line is less congested ahead rather than gaining territory into congested situations forward.

If this happens, I still wonder whether there isn't the capacity to introduce into the mix another sizzling kick in Cleary. If both Cleary and JOD appear in coming weeks for Duryea and one of Keath or Gardner I'd be leaning towards that as the way we think we can steal it.

I'd think we'd have to see it by the Hawks game though (in 2 weeks time latest) to bed it in for finals.

Last edited:
We generally play with 5 forwards outside of CBs as Bevo has mentioned a few times.

Interesting the way other teams play (Port, Melbourne and Pies). Analysis I've seen says Port attack mainly from the midfield forward. The Pies from defense through the midfield. Melbourne have recently tweaked a bit to attack more from defense and less emphasis on contested/clearance wins.

We kind of have a foot in both camps with the capacity to do either with a full strength line up although we've probably been more aligned with Port to this point. However, I get the sense we're building a base of speed in the half backs with the addition of VDM as part of the roster. Richards, JJ and VDM all operating/launching from defense. If there is a tweak looming, I'm thinking it's more score launches from the back half when the fwd line is less congested ahead rather than gaining territory into congested situations forward.

If this happens, I still wonder whether there isn't the capacity to introduce into the mix another sizzling kick in Cleary. If both Cleary and JOD appear in coming weeks for Duryea and one of Keath or Gardner I'd be leaning towards that as the way we think we can steal it.
It's a much smarter idea then what we're doing currently. Give naughton and Jamarra as many looks as possible in 1 on 1s.

All well and good to stock up on pace in the back half which is a move I agree with, I’ve been saying for years we need to attack off half back more to give our forward line a chance.

but no one in their right mind could devise a plan based around scoring launches off half back but play Keath, Gardner & Bruce together in the same backline. It just cannot and will not work.

Our backline as of next week should be Jones & Keath the talls, Cleary & Ed the mediums & Dale, JJ & VDM the run & distributors. Load up on class and pace at the cost of being a touch worse defensively, because we’re s**t defensively anyway.

All well and good to stock up on pace in the back half which is a move I agree with, I’ve been saying for years we need to attack off half back more to give our forward line a chance.

but no one in their right mind could devise a plan based around scoring launches off half back but play Keath, Gardner & Bruce together in the same backline. It just cannot and will not work.

Our backline as of next week should be Jones & Keath the talls, Cleary & Ed the mediums & Dale, JJ & VDM the run & distributors. Load up on class and pace at the cost of being a touch worse defensively, because we’re s**t defensively anyway.
It's not a change that can happen over night but Buss and O'Donnell are both big upgrades on Keath, Bruce and Gardner in terms of disposal.

I like the additional running HB. Ideal for the modern game.
What I don’t like is the 3KPD…. I would rather 2KPD and a third tall who can kick well.

Busslinger for Keath would be ideal…. Hopefully next year.

Who is he in the 22 ahead of?

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Scott and West similar impacts, IMO. West more inside, scott more outside, yet neither particularly good on the outside. West consistently applies more pressure.

West will be 23 going into next season, Scott will be 29.

Id go with West

Remove this Banner Ad

Back