Preview Changes Vs Golden Toast

Remove this Banner Ad

Been a while since we've seen the brain fart that was Daniel one out at full back.

Surely he can humour us and just go all out and combine all the dumbest moves in one match.

Been a while since we've seen the brain fart that was Daniel one out at full back.

Surely he can humour us and just go all out and combine all the dumbest moves in one match.

Richards got stuck there last week on Brown and gave away the free kick. Was harsh, but how did he end up last man on Brown?

They surely can’t play all of Walter, Casboult, king and Luko ??
Luko can play back, and we're short people in defence so they might just try and roll the dice on us.

Rowell is the hottest inside bull in the game and their midfield trio is the best in the comp right now. They'll back themselves in, and rightly so.
We can barely run the game out with the kids we've got in (e.g. Sanders & Gags) and our wings are terrible.

Time in position in R1...

McNeil - Midfield-Wing / Forward
Q1: 43% / 57%
Q2: 18% / 82%
Q3: 60% / 40%
Q4: 55% / 45%

Vandermeer- Midfield-Wing / Forward
Q1: 15% / 85%
Q2: 38% / 62%
Q3: 0% / 100%
Q4: 98% / 2%
Do you have these splits for the Hawks game and/or practice match? I really thought McNeil was playing the small forward role…

They surely can’t play all of Walter, Casboult, king and Luko ??

Last sort of effective forward line that tall that I can recall is probably Adelaide 2017. Walker, Jenkins, Lynch and McGovern.

Lukosius is an excellent field kick so could probably play a little higher. It will be interesting how it plays out but I was surprised they decided to go for it. Could work out to our advantage if they don’t gel and get in each others way.

Last sort of effective forward line that tall that I can recall is probably Adelaide 2017. Walker, Jenkins, Lynch and McGovern.

Lukosius is an excellent field kick so could probably play a little higher. It will be interesting how it plays out but I was surprised they decided to go for it. Could work out to our advantage if they don’t gel and get in each others way.

Or they could pile on 25 goals.

Do you have these splits for the Hawks game and/or practice match? I really thought McNeil was playing the small forward role…

No stats were recorded for the practice match and no matchups were recorded for the pre-season match but here are the possession maps for McNeil and Vandermeer in the pre-season match at York Park (forward half to the righ)...

McNeil
McNeil.jpeg

Vandermeer
Vandermeer.jpeg

No stats were recorded for the practice match and no matchups were recorded for the pre-season match but here are the possession maps for McNeil and Vandermeer in the pre-season match at York Park (forward half to the righ)...

McNeil
View attachment 1935079

Vandermeer
View attachment 1935081

Staggering that they are both in the side.

Pace is great, but what’s the point if you don’t have any composure, don’t kick goals, don’t crumb and cant break lines (gotta get the footy)?

Casboults on the ext bench so would be out you’d think, probably a good thing for us tbh with that backline

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Staggering that they are both in the side.

Pace is great, but what’s the point if you don’t have any composure, don’t kick goals, don’t crumb and cant break lines (gotta get the footy)?
The worst part about it is they laid 2 tackles and 20 PA between em, CD had 2 & 12 in his qtr. So aside from how bad they are offensively (and Mcneils game was so bad he just had to be dropped, what was it 3 goals against almost directly off his boot?) they literally didn’t even offer a sniff defensively.

So what are they still here for? It’s mindnumbing

The worst part about it is they laid 2 tackles and 20 PA between em, CD had 2 & 12 in his qtr. So aside from how bad they are offensively (and Mcneils game was so bad he just had to be dropped, what was it 3 goals against almost directly off his boot?) they literally didn’t even offer a sniff defensively.

So what are they still here for? It’s mindnumbing

McNeil will be dropped but VDM in is hilarious 😂

Play him off Walter and just let him sit at FB and clunk em. Or drop Lobb and if it’s windy literally just sit him in the 50 with the wind 😂 I’d be here for that

Can’t drop Lobb, we need to throw him to full back when we’re in full panic mode.

Well, say what you like about him but Bevo is going down swinging.

I mean, it’s ******* ludicrous that he’s selecting the team like this but fair play, he’s going full insanity.

That anyone with a semblance of footy knowledge plays VDM at AFL level after the end of last season is crazy, let alone double down this week after last week’s debacle. To keep McNeil in and not even have Macrae on the extended bench is just bizarre.

Just counting the games now, and hope he doesn’t completely destroy his legacy on the way out.

What is the actual point of naming a squad with 8 players on the bench on a Thursday night. Is it because the AFL mandate teams be named on a Thursday night for the massive TV ratings that they engender?

One has to commend the MC for putting the final nail in the coffin of Buku Khamis' brief career. He couldn't handle the absolute mismatch of one of the most one dimension KPF of the last 120 years last week. How the * is he supposed to be competitive when lined up on Casbault the colossus or an actual gun KPF in King? Excellent work guys. Sorry Buku, you could've been a contender, but they're about to send you on a one way trip to palookaville. It's a shame as we barely knew you.

Sure the cupboard may be bare due to injury, match conditioning or just reasons. But If they don't show a modicum of creativity and swing Naughton back until a genuine KPB is available and replace him with Darcy then the re-jigged coaching panel is as useless as those that proceeded them.

Like you I hate the Thursday night squad announcements. They make no sense.
I think all clubs should have to name their teams on Thursday, regardless of whether they are playing on Saturday or Sunday.

I'm also not happy with the team selected but struggle to see why you think the MC will be to blame for ending Buku's career if he plays poorly this weekend.

Personally, I think he should have been dropped after a poor performance last week, but I also think he is pretty fortunate not to have been delisted. And given that he is lucky to have kept his spot on the list, he should be grasping at any opportunity he can with the utmost fervor.

Although he doesn't fill me with confidence, I sincerely hope he proves worthy of the MC's faith this week. However, if he doesn't, he will have no one to blame but himself.

It's a rare golden chance the MC has given him to prove he can play at the level, if he doesn't grasp it there is no guarantee he will get any more.

Last edited:
Well, say what you like about him but Bevo is going down swinging.

I mean, it’s ******* ludicrous that he’s selecting the team like this but fair play, he’s going full insanity.

That anyone with a semblance of footy knowledge plays VDM at AFL level after the end of last season is crazy, let alone double down this week after last week’s debacle. To keep McNeil in and not even have Macrae on the extended bench is just bizarre.

Just counting the games now, and hope he doesn’t completely destroy his legacy on the way out.

This is the result when:

- Instead of the club doing what they should have and sacking Beveridge at the end of 23 they just removed some of his power and control

- You have a club that's still intimidated and feel like they're indebted for life to Beveridge, too scared to make the hard calls.

- You have a coach that plays favourites with horrible out of form or VFL standard players not up to it. Year after year now and the club continues to indulge his fantasies.

- When the obvious confusion and lack of direction off field creeps in on field to the point where we just run around like headless chooks.

Last edited:
Tackle Watch

I don't want to create a new thread for this but after last week's pusillanimous efforts I thought it'd be worth tracking how the players lift (or not) in a couple of key whole-field defensive stats. One of them is tackles - see below.

The other one is Pressure Acts, which I haven't been able to find. Maybe Oliver G could help us out here?

It sucks that our top 2 tacklers - Harmes and Gallagher - could be missing this week. That's over a quarter of our pissweak tally of tackles gone.

1711025867014.png

This is the result when:

- Instead of the club doing what they should have and sacking Beveridge at the end of 23 they just removed some of his power and control

- You have a club that's still intimated and feel like they're indebted for life to Beveridge, too scared to make the hard calls.

- You have a coach that plays favourites with horrible out of form or VFL standard players not up to it. Year after year now and the club continues to indulge his fantasies.

- When the obvious confusion and lack of direction off field creeps in on field to the point where we just run around like headless chook.
The fundamental problem is he is playing too many young inexperienced players at once.

That is why we moved the ball so slow last week, none of them has confidence at the level and their teammates don't have confidence in them yet either.

Not a huge fan of VDM and McNeil, but I don't understand why their selection is upsetting people so much. I don't have much more confidence in Gallagher, Sanders, Bramble, Poulter, Baker and Coffield. I have even less confidence in Buku at this stage.

I hope they bring in Duryea, at least we know he is genuinely capable at the level.

Tackle Watch

I don't want to create a new thread for this but after last week's pusillanimous efforts I thought it'd be worth tracking how the players lift (or not) in a couple of key whole-field defensive stats. One of them is tackles - see below.

The other one is Pressure Acts, which I haven't been able to find. Maybe Oliver G could help us out here?

It sucks that our top 2 tacklers - Harmes and Gallagher - could be missing this week. That's over a quarter of our pissweak tally of tackles gone.

View attachment 1935252

Screenshot_20240322-002450.png

Screenshot_20240322-002505.png

GIF by Christmas FM

Remove this Banner Ad

Back