Preview Changes vs GWS Giants - Round 10, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like there are a lot of opinions about how me move forward with the tall forwards and the ruck position.
Anyone think Brander could be an option to pinch hit when Nic takes a break? Especially with the mids eventually coming back and possibly squeezing him out, I think it’s an option and a better one than Allen.
Thoughts?
He looks so lean to me, he would break. I also would hate to mess him around more given he is just coming good. If we were going left field, I would choose Ah Chee. That said, they will likely stick with Williams, which is my preferred choice.

No thats incorrect. JD JK and OA have played in all but 1 game this year where JK missed if I recall correctly? Also not sure how many any of those guys missed last year but Id imagine not many.
In all games bar 2 I this year we have run with 2 rucks (NN 9 games, Vardy 5 games, BW 2 games).

I was wrong - it is 4 times (not 3 as I previously said) out of 9 we have played two rucks + JD JK and OA forward.

Rounds 7 and 8 OA played back
Rounds 3 and 4 OA was second ruck

Your original statement that the match committee "pretty much always" plays 2 rucks + JD JK OA over the last 2 years is still wrong though.

It’s probably Waterman vs Ah Chee at the moment, IMO. I like the energy Waterman brings us, but realistically neither deserve to be dropped I don’t think. Ryan is clear best 22 and if fit immediately makes us more dangerous in the air and around the ground.

Conversely with Hurns replacement, I think it would fall down to Nelson V Cole. Nelson offers a defensive midfield option which we might want to utilise against a Taranto or Maybe even Kelly on a flank. Witho stays for now. Would love to see us take him and Hurn and really utilise our aggressive foot skills.

So for mine we go.

In: Ryan, Hurn
Out: Cole, Langdon (unused sub)

Sub: Ah Chee
We’ve got some interesting decisions to make if Duggan is fit after the bye.

I was wrong - it is 4 times (not 3 as I previously said) out of 9 we have played two rucks + JD JK and OA forward.

Rounds 7 and 8 OA played back
Rounds 3 and 4 OA was second ruck

Your original statement that the match committee "pretty much always" plays 2 rucks + JD JK OA over the last 2 years is still wrong though.
The statement that the match committee prefers to play two rucks (excluding the 25% game time reduction in 2020) is true though, regardless. I don’t think they consider Allen a second ruck.

4. Structure is horrible. Not enough small players. Waterman out and only back in if one of Allen, Kennedy or Darling is not playing. Bring in Cameron ffs, everyone else has played.

4. Structure is horrible. Not enough small players. Waterman out and only back in if one of Allen, Kennedy or Darling is not playing. Bring in Cameron ffs, everyone else has played.
I would actually disagree with this. After watching our tall lineup play few times. The whole purpose of having small forwards is to add crumb and agility on the ground. Our forward line is not your conventional forward line. All of them have the agility and do very well when the ball hits the ground hence why this works. It is a nightmare for the opposition coach to find matchups for players who can mark and also have agility on their ground hence why guys are Oscar, Waterman and JD are scary for opponents. The only time you would replace any of the stalls with small is that if small forwards agility and ground ball is far superior. Guys like Ryan and Rioli both would fit that role. Cameron is not selected for that reason alone.

1 tackle and 29 mtr gained for a defender, mmmmm sorry Nelson but you make way for Hurn.

Fitting Ryan in is a little harder, particulary if we don't replace Williams.
Langdon back to the Magoos to get some proper game time.
Thinking Ah Chee goes sub and Ryan comes in. Ah Chee is probably nearly the perfect sub for us and it is going to be a pretty tough game so chances are we will need him.

in
Hurn and Ryan
Out
Nelson and Ah chee to sub.

I would be very interested to see how simmo utilizes both Alex and Bunga as it has been a while since Jetta/Hurn days that we had two elite kickers. Corridor kicking to break the game wide open is back on cards. Alex is way more lethal than jetta but jetta had more balls to go for those 50-50 kicks.

This will give us another avenue to attack. Hurn/Alex 20 meter kick. The other one run to get a handball and transition to half forward. practically a three kick game is back for us. Interesting times ahead. Opponents should be scared. How the * did lions let go of Alex??

I would be very interested to see how simmo utilizes both Alex and Bunga as it has been a while since Jetta/Hurn days that we had two elite kickers. Corridor kicking to break the game wide open is back on cards. Alex is way more lethal than jetta but jetta had more balls to go for those 50-50 kicks.

This will give us another avenue to attack. Hurn/Alex 20 meter kick. The other one run to get a handball and transition to half forward. practically a three kick game is back for us. Interesting times ahead. Opponents should be scared. How the fu** did lions let go of Alex??

I like the idea of Witherden + Hurn, but not sure that Witherden is more lethal than Jetta?

Different players, and Witherden finds the ball more - but Jetta was somewhat quick (got slower as he got older, as we all do) and his kicking was an absolute weapon.

But I agree on the premise that having Witherden and Hurn side by side could be a nightmare for the opposition trying to defend the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This will give us another avenue to attack. Hurn/Alex 20 meter kick. The other one run to get a handball and transition to half forward. practically a three kick game is back for us. Interesting times ahead. Opponents should be scared. How the fu** did lions let go of Alex??
Witherden pin point to Hurn, Hurn long to JK, JD or OA...goal
Having said that, when was the last time Bung unleashed a bomb, seems like a very long time.

We were much more willing to use Allen as NicNat’s backup last year when the quarters were shorter. We’ve only done it twice this year, and with Allen becoming even more important plus carrying a few injuries I don’t think we’ll be doing it too often in the future.
To add to the point of Allen becoming more important:
- Every game spent chopping out in the ruck means less time forward, less opportunity to hone his forward craft and less time to develop a connection with his teammates while he plays in that position. After hundreds of games, JK and Darling can read each other's minds most of the time, as can JK/Darling and Shuey/Gaff.
- If we discount the games where he played ruck or back, Oscar is tracking at 16 goals in 5 games, or 3.2/game - the best in our team.
I like the idea of Witherden + Hurn, but not sure that Witherden is more lethal than Jetta?

Different players, and Witherden finds the ball more - but Jetta was somewhat quick (got slower as he got older, as we all do) and his kicking was an absolute weapon.

But I agree on the premise that having Witherden and Hurn side by side could be a nightmare for the opposition trying to defend the ground.
Agree Witho is not as lethal as Jetta was - I think it will be many a year before we see the like of Jetta's kicking again - but Witho has shown the ability to find more of it, which bodes well.

To add to the point of Allen becoming more important:
- Every game spent chopping out in the ruck means less time forward, less opportunity to hone his forward craft and less time to develop a connection with his teammates while he plays in that position. After hundreds of games, JK and Darling can read each other's minds most of the time, as can JK/Darling and Shuey/Gaff.
- If we discount the games where he played ruck or back, Oscar is tracking at 16 goals in 5 games, or 3.2/game - the best in our team.

Agree Witho is not as lethal as Jetta was - I think it will be many a year before we see the like of Jetta's kicking again - but Witho has shown the ability to find more of it, which bodes well.
Definitely not as lethal PER DISPOSAL as Jetta. Jetta was a gun in that area, one of the best ever. But he gets more disposals, a lot more, and he's still pretty lethal with it.
Happy with how he's progressing within the team and more than happy to have both he and Hurn in the team.

Hurn and Ryan in, whoever is carrying a niggle out.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see sheppard miss this one, looks to be carrying something.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
As much as all our injuries have been frustrating I think it might come as a blessing in disguise if we manage to win the next two.

By that I mean it's given us a time to dig deep and give gametime into players like Jones and Brander, Wilson, Ah Chee, Williams, Waterman, Langdon, O'Neil.
Without all these injuries we wouldn't of known where we stand on all these players above.

Now we know a lot more going ahead.
Brander is the future- has broken out this season and found his place.
Wilson can be relied on if Gov or Barrass go down.
Jones has been great and cemented his spot as a small forward. Is growing every game.

Ah Chee and Waterman provides great depth.
And Langdon we know isn't ready for AFL so now we know not to risk him come finals if we get injuries.

Oneil is the one still not sure on but it's gonna hold us in good stead on all the returns in the coming weeks.

Sent from my CPH2025 using Tapatalk

As much as all our injuries have been frustrating I think it might come as a blessing in disguise if we manage to win the next two.

By that I mean it's given us a time to dig deep and give gametime into players like Jones and Brander, Wilson, Ah Chee, Williams, Waterman, Langdon, O'Neil.
Without all these injuries we wouldn't of known where we stand on all these players above.

Jones has been great and cemented his spot as a small forward. Is growing every game.

And Langdon we know isn't ready for AFL so now we know not to risk him come finals if we get injuries.

Oneil is the one still not sure on but it's gonna hold us in good stead on all the returns in the coming weeks.

Glad to hear we redrafted Blayne-train Wilson

So, now that we finally have a couple of Edwards, the mythical player has become "Wilson".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back