Unofficial Preview Changes vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Doubt it .....I'm equally happy with our two recruits .....don't know why Ports players are playing at their current level ?

Seems to just be a part of these coaches DNA at this point. Port have had a fair few 1st year draftees break out early then stagnate massively in their 2nd year onwards. We seem to follow a slower trend but have a lot better long term results.

What’s the point of a complex game plan if we’re still average at best.
Simplify this **** and we might actually get somewhere.
To be fair, at best we're a lot better than average. We havent even got to see our best this year, with banged up kpds, a good mid or two missing each week, plus a forward line missing a player (or a form one at least) here and there. If we go in as named this is one of the better teams weve had so far this year.

I find he gets caught holding the ball because he has no right foot. The taking on the opponent is his only option to try and get back on the left. If he had a right foot it would give him more time to dispose rather than having to take on the tackler to buy him time.
This. Zero right leg.
Guess it’s to late to learn.
I had to go lefty for 6 months when I had tennis elbow years ago. Like I’m talking big old heavy Senco nail gun here. I’m quite ambidextrous now 15 years later.
Maybe they could stick a heap of thumb tacks in his left boot upper next pre season.

Last edited:
What most disappointed me was it happened when the match was at its hottest. That's when players you can count on stand up.
Atkins was under no actual pressure from opponents at the time; he was clear. All the pressure was perceived ie the match pressure, the moment, and perceived pressure from being under a high ball ... and hearing footsteps.
Atkins cannot and does not handle the pressure of clutch moments and hard games.
(Compare Atkins' attempt to this, from a 20yo newbie:
https://www.afc.com.au/video/2019-04-21/highlights-r5-murphys-incredible-mark)

Having said all that, the Selectors must believe he's doing something valuable for the team in spite of his aversion to contact and ineffectiveness in tough moments. What that is, is beyond me. Anybody?
I feel.once Murph learns how to get more ball and be invovled more he will be a decent player.

People forget he is only 20.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I feel.once Murph learns how to get more ball and be invovled more he will be a decent player.

People forget he is only 20.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Yeah his courage has already been proved and would put half the team to shame in that respect. At 20 it’s up to him how far he can take his career. Nothing but nothing shits me more than a squib.

Our gameplan is difficult to master and puts a lot of pressure on the players. This is why when players leave to go to other clubs with simpler plans they perform well above what they appeared to be like with us ( henderson, lyons, wright). This is why its hard for our draftees to do well straight away. I sometimes wish we'd develop a bit of an easier plan, and to be fair it looks like we have a bit this year, but i still think we could go a bit further.
This reads like a janus post without the long words and convoluted explanation.

Our players perform better at clubs with simpler plans? Thats straight out of the handbook

Listen I dont disagree football has become a game of chess and the requirement to learn structure and positioning is paramount. (and I would argue too rigid a structure leaves you exposed to being cut open)

But not playing the kids isnt a new thing. Its a cultural issue.

If a kid requires instruction thats what leaders do. Hodge is a perfect example of instructing players on the field. A kid forgets to be at the XY intersection? Hodge will tell them real quick.

I would rather the energy and instinct of youth than the automatic adherence to structure that destroys instinct.

See ball get ball give ball

/grumpyoldmanrant

I was initially shocked by the Greenwood omission, but then when you sit down and analyse it, this is about team balance and also about who our opposition is this week. Also, having 43 out off 44 is a unique situation for any football club. Some very good footballers are bound to miss out. I pity West Adelaide tomorrow with at least 20 AFL boys running around. That could be very ugly.
43 out of 44 players available yet somehow we have picked an understrength team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This reads like a janus post without the long words and convoluted explanation.

Our players perform better at clubs with simpler plans? Thats straight out of the handbook

Listen I dont disagree football has become a game of chess and the requirement to learn structure and positioning is paramount. (and I would argue too rigid a structure leaves you exposed to being cut open)

But not playing the kids isnt a new thing. Its a cultural issue.

If a kid requires instruction thats what leaders do. Hodge is a perfect example of instructing players on the field. A kid forgets to be at the XY intersection? Hodge will tell them real quick.

I would rather the energy and instinct of youth than the automatic adherence to structure that destroys instinct.

See ball get ball give ball

/grumpyoldmanrant
Pyke's been 50/50 on playing the youngsters. He's backed in some like Jones, Murphy and Fog straight away and then played the long game on others. He's pretty demanding in what he expects, which might tell you how they rated those he did play straight away.

What’s the point of a complex game plan if we’re still average at best.
Simplify this **** and we might actually get somewhere.
The best game plans bring the best out of the team by maximising each individuals strengths. I dont care whether its complex or not as long as it works and scores goals. Generally the simpler plan works best from experience. Too much focus on defence currently. The 2 best teams are Gws and Geelong who currently have the best forward lines going around. They are also very sound defensively but can score at will. If you can't score you are going nowhere in today's game. Also our current forward mix is not working as well as it could. No point in picking the same mix every week hoping players will find form. Try something different. Maybe go with 1 tall and 5 mids/small. Works for Geelong. We lack some speed, a contested mark and a Cameron type in the fwd line. Maybe McAdam is that replacement is he is fit enough, maybe not. Would like to see McHenry, Greenwood and either Stengle or McAdam playing forward permanently for a month to see if this helps. At least try something different as we need more goals.
Would roll with:
Lynch Walker/Jenkins Mchenry
Betts/Stengle Greenwood Murphy/McAdam

Last edited:
Or our list is not that good.
It’s better than picking Douglas over Greenwood.

Plus we don’t know how good the list is, there’s guys in there who haven’t been given a try, surely seeing Davis play that forward role would be more beneficial than bloody Douglas.

I was initially shocked by the Greenwood omission, but then when you sit down and analyse it, this is about team balance and also about who our opposition is this week. Also, having 43 out off 44 is a unique situation for any football club. Some very good
footballers are bound to miss out. I pity West Adelaide tomorrow with at least 20 AFL boys running around. That could be very ugly.
To have only 1 LTI and be playing pretty ordinary football. Albeit 3/4 senior players are only just coming back from injury. Kind of indicates our team is
A: completely out of form or
B: not of the same quality as others.

We can’t beat the top 8 teams and barely scraped in over the 16th placed team.

Last edited:

Plus we don’t know how good the list is, there’s guys in there who haven’t been given a try, surely seeing Davis play that forward role would be more beneficial than bloody Douglas.
Maybe picking Dougie is a way of moving on. Ie Could be a goodbye tour for Dougie this yr. Bonus greenwood will be fresh for Richmond.

The standard played by Geelong in full throttle last night, having seen GWS, the Eagles, and Pies we are definitely several levels down from them.

Flag will obviously come from one of those 4. Thats obvious anyone can draw that conclusion, but I sense the pressure will get to sides like Geelong and GWS in September, more than Eagles and Pies that have shown they can play their best footy at that time of the year.

I think the Lions 2019 are the Crows of 2012, they could fall into a Prelim Final.

Pyke obviously beleives he is the best option compared to players like davis and co

He obviously knows these players very very very well so gets given the responsibility of making the call

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pyke obviously beleives he is the best option compared to players like davis and co

He obviously knows these players very very very well so gets given the responsibility of making the call

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

So did Bolton and we all know how that turned out.

Jones absolutely an inside/outside midfielder with his speed, agility, and outstanding athletic profile, going to be an outstanding player with a Rory Sloane type ceiling IMO.

Would I be able to pick your thoughts on our youngsters? I hope you don’t mind.

Are you able to provide some idea of how some of these guys compare to each other? I don’t see any SANFL and it’s often different seeing them live.

How do these players compare for speed, agility and overhead? Where is Davis in his development?
Jones
McHenry
Davis
McAdam

I’d think Murphy is the fastest guy we have in the side, followed by Smith, Gallucci maybe next?

Also how would you describe Jordan Butts as a player, his stats look encouraging?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back