Opinion Changes vs Hawks OUT: Ryan Cox IN: Deluca McCarthy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah look I'm clearly not a tabs fan but as a freo fan I'd love for him To "make it"at AFL level but I just can't,for the life of me understand the hysteria his non selection causes some of our supporters.

It really is an indictment on our clubs position (lack of kpf's) when Mathew Taberner's held up as some sort of 'saviour' to our fwd line woes

I asked that question (about how many times he's kicked 3 goals or more in a game,hell make it 2 goals if you want)because so many of his fan bois first call to arms is "well kersten/McCarthy etc 'only'kicked 1/2 goals and got x/y amount of possessions,conveniently ignoring the fact tabs is not exactlysome kind of goal scoring machine/high possession winner himself ...tho the way some carry on you could be mistaken into thinking he was.
I think the issue driving the discussion is either/both of:
- People who have unrealistic expectations of how we should be performing
- People who don't think much of Ross

The second is an opinion and fair enough. Would be hard to change opinions on that and you can certainly make cases for SOME of Ross' methods.

The first is the one that annoys me. We are ahead of all of the other "rebuild" teams on the ladder and have punched well above our weight numerous times. I am ****ing stoked about our performances this year. Many obviously aren't and think we are just Bennell, A Pearce and a KPF from a flag. I am not so sure that is accurate.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it's his ruckwork which is keeping him out, which makes it even more frustrating because there's no reason he shouldn't be considered on the basis of his forward work alone.

Kersten is very fast, he should be sprinting back to goal while the defender trails him, for our midfielder to drop the ball in front of him.

I've seen him and other players try to do this. Only problem is it invariably happens when the player up the field is required to kick the ball 70-80m. They try and hoof it, then the defender cuts off the ball that falls short.

Then there's the opposite situation when Kersten makes good position and is ignored. I think Weller's log bomb point sailed past Kersten on his own about 30m out. That one where Hill didn't make the distance, a bit before Kersten was all on his own about 40-45 out. There were other occasions as well.

Not sure he repeats leads enough though. Top forwards will realize they aren't going to get the ball every time they're open, and keep presenting with multiple leads/efforts.

I think the issue driving the discussion is either/both of:
- People who have unrealistic expectations of how we should be performing
- People who don't think much of Ross

The second is an opinion and fair enough. Would be hard to change opinions on that and you can certainly make cases for SOME of Ross' methods.

The first is the one that annoys me. We are ahead of all of the other "rebuild" teams on the ladder and have punched well above our weight numerous times. I am ****ing stoked about our performances this year. Many obviously aren't and think we are just Bennell, A Pearce and a KPF from a flag. I am not so sure that is accurate.
Yeah I can't believe some of the expectations of some posters in regards to where we "should" be in year 1 of a 4 year rebuild.
What really gets me tho ,I'm sure if you asked those same posters where they thought we d be at this point or finish,at the start of the year ,I'm willing to bet most would say in the 13-7 range with about 8 wins-12,-exactly where we are and will likely finish up.
The irony being with us exceeding expectations and thus theirs at one point (6-3) they seem to think we should be winning nearly every game now

I'm personally stoked with how we're shaping up as a team

Not off RTB just yet but his cmts on Ballas are just bizarre, Kevin Sheedy bizarre. Does add to the argument that he has his faves and doesn't like others & how can you take his 'play yourself in, play yourself out' seriously. Bit full of s**t there.

On SM-G900I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not off RTB just yet but his cmts on Ballas are just bizarre, Kevin Sheedy bizarre. Does add to the argument that he has his faves and doesn't like others & how can you take his 'play yourself in, play yourself out' seriously. Bit full of s**t there.

The Suban love Ross has shown definitely bothers me at times but at least Ballas has been genuinely good in the past. Averages 1.5gpg for a low scoring side as well. Sure he is not at that level these days but still has some credits in the bank. None of the small forwards are kicking bags in the WAFL either.

More importantly, he is the only permanent forward we have who has played more than 50 games. I think 1 or 2 experienced heads on each line is ok.

I think Ross' comments in the media are part of the coaches coach's work teaching them to pump up players who need it.

I think Ross' comments in the media are part of the coaches coach's work teaching them to pump up players who need it.
Agree with this. Logue for example constantly gets a pump even when he hasn't been great. Ross probably recognises those who need it and I think Griff does given how hesitant he can look on the field. Kersten too perhaps.

I like it, you have to treat all 43 as individuals.

Ballas and Kersten have been shocking. Can't remember Freo players so out of form since Jack Anthony.

Last edited:
Ballas and Kersten have been shocking. Can't remember Freo players so out of form since Jack Anthony.

Ballas had a long term injury and has not played that many games. Kersten has and is an average player but it is all relative . The season is done and the reasoning is not as linear or simplistic as one may think. Jack Anthony was rarely in form to the level he was at Collingwood. your reference is not that accurate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm pretty sure it's his ruckwork which is keeping him out, which makes it even more frustrating because there's no reason he shouldn't be considered on the basis of his forward work alone.
We're rebuilding though and he isn't going to become a better fwd/ruck by playing as a pure forward at AFL level

There is no argument about that. And the "play yourself in, and play yourself out" is a myth. You can only play your way in if someone has or is playing their way out. And you can only play your way out if there's someone else exactly suited to your role who has and is playing their way in. The small print that goes with that is that if you're one of Ross's mates or in the leadership group you're exempt from this rule. He's an amazingly good coach but it's the above that keeps him from being one of the best.

I don't follow the wafl that closely but I don't agree with the comparisons between Taberner and Ryan Murphy or Anthony. I certainly don't recall Spud or Jack ever having a near 30 possession game like Tabs did last week. I'm not sold on Tabs yet either. I do think he needs a bit more aggression and consistency.

Bit hard to get value for Ballas and Suban if they're in the WAFL.

IMO they've been told you're playing for your contract, it may be with us, but they'd be pretty dumb to not see the writing on the wall in a rebuild. I'd imagine both won't be on our list next year if we're fair dinkum about a genuine turnover of players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back