Preview Changes vs Hawks (Sunday 13/9 3.35pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

The clip from Gardner on the dogs website talks about his big leap and how he guarded the mark well.

There is a clip on fox footy talking about it, in my opinion he clearly jumps over the mark at the end of the third quarter to smoother the ball. Again, just my opinion but he looks fairly lucky to not give away a 50 mt penalty. But doesn't I admit that with the umpire standing right there.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/afl/afl/value-of-manning-the-mark!785184

1.25 mark, they talk about the value of manning the mark but have a look for yourself.

Ha. At least his effort is there. He's like a nervous u10 at times. Like he's nervous cause he's Dad's there. He always annoyed me when we played the Saints as he was so good against us (probably why we got him) so he has ability. Can't wait till he and the team played to potential :)
😂😂

The clip from Gardner on the dogs website talks about his big leap and how he guarded the mark well.

There is a clip on fox footy talking about it, in my opinion he clearly jumps over the mark at the end of the third quarter to smoother the ball. Again, just my opinion but he looks fairly lucky to not give away a 50 mt penalty. But doesn't I admit that with the umpire standing right there.

1.25 mark, they talk about the value of manning the mark but have a look for yourself.
Wow lol, he didn't go over the mark he was in mid air when he touched it.

If Hayes is injured, Lipinski's probably right back in.
In the scratch match review they particularly praised Lioinski's ability to spread 'with power'. That is a very encouraging comment as his willingness to constantly run hard without the ball (especially defensively) was a stumbling block to him reaching his potential.

If he can improve that and his defensive efforts he's a gilt edged best 22 lock.

I had a look through the AFL rules just now and don't see anything about jumping over the mark.

19.1 STANDING THE MARK AND THE PROTECTED AREA
19.1.1 Standing The Mark
When a Player is awarded a Mark or Free Kick, one Player from the opposing
Team may:
(a) stand on The Mark;
(b) move along a lateral line without advancing beyond The Mark; or
(c) otherwise be directed by a field Umpire.
For the avoidance of doubt, all other Players from the opposing Team must
be positioned behind The Mark or otherwise outside the Protected Area
defined in Law 19.1.2.

I've also never seen someone penalised for jumping over the mark. It's probably open to interpretation but my guess is that if you are still behind the mark when your feet leave the ground you're okay.

Have you not watched the last 3 games at all? Gardner has been good, and the Eagles game he was one of our best defenders. If he's not AFL standard based on the Eagles game, then Keath can't be either
The Eagles game was by far his best but he is still way too slow to make decisions, doesn't judge the ball in the air well (as a result gives away silly free kicks) and is not strong enough in the contest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had a look through the AFL rules just now and don't see anything about jumping over the mark.

19.1 STANDING THE MARK AND THE PROTECTED AREA
19.1.1 Standing The Mark
When a Player is awarded a Mark or Free Kick, one Player from the opposing
Team may:
(a) stand on The Mark;
(b) move along a lateral line without advancing beyond The Mark; or
(c) otherwise be directed by a field Umpire.
For the avoidance of doubt, all other Players from the opposing Team must
be positioned behind The Mark or otherwise outside the Protected Area
defined in Law 19.1.2.

I've also never seen someone penalised for jumping over the mark. It's probably open to interpretation but my guess is that if you are still behind the mark when your feet leave the ground you're okay.
The bolded would apply to jumping, walking, running, crawling... anything

Strange both teams have to get on a plane from Brisbane when there’s no game at the Gabba on Sunday.
Maybe some AFL deal with Adelaide oval. Then we have to fly to Cairns. If we win both those games it will be a credit to the boys.

The bolded would apply to jumping, walking, running, crawling... anything
Technically he would need to have been behind the mark, and out of the protected area, up until the point of the ball making contact with Darling's boot (as opposed to until the ball itself leaves the area). Immediately after the ball has been kicked, he can cross over the line.

Technically he would need to have been behind the mark, and out of the protected area, up until the point of the ball making contact with Darling's boot (as opposed to until the ball itself leaves the area). Immediately after the ball has been kicked, he can cross over the line.
This can't be right. If it was players would be coming with a run up and jump at the ball to touch it. To me the rule is clear.

(b) move along a lateral line without advancing beyond The Mark;

I think he went over the mark and we got away with it, ill take it though.

This can't be right. If it was players would be coming with a run up and jump at the ball to touch it. To me the rule is clear.

(b) move along a lateral line without advancing beyond The Mark;

I think he went over the mark and we got away with it, ill take it though.
We might well have gotten away with it in this instance, not denying that.

I do think though that if a player were to jump forward from behind the mark, technically they'd be fine to do so provided they don't cross the line before the ball is kicked. It could never become a regular thing though because players with the ball could easily just feign a kick and earn themselves a 50m penalty.

If Suckling is fit, up and about - as has been stated in the club's scratch match report - then he will almost certainly come in.

In a season where you can win often win matches with just 6 or 7 goals the ability to overcome the defensive flood by scoring from outside 50 is something worth having. Suckling reportedly kicked a goal from the centre square with the wind and a goal from outside 50 into the wind on the weekend. That's impressive. Let's not hear any more specualtion that he's getting old and can't roost it as far any more.

If clubs are confident they can limit our scoring by crowding our 50 then having Suckling hovering between wing and the arc while we attack is going to be a good countermeasure. If they see the danger they may have to bring another man out of the d50 to pressure him which may then present a different opportunity for us to find a target inside 50.

Reckon this is a massive danger game. Clarko hates the dogs and will pump up his side to come at us hard. Midfield needs to be switched on from the start to kill any early momentum. Would start Libba in the centre and keep him there the whole first quarter - seriously how good is he, can't believe his return to form this year, I think he's definitely benefited from the smaller game time.

In: Lipinski, Suckling
Out: Hayes, Richards

Remove this Banner Ad

Back