Preview Changes vs Hawks (Sunday 13/9 3.35pm)

Simon82

Debutant
Mar 22, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Happy to having him as a good back up..good back up help good teams to win premiership.... and no, I'm not saying gardner will win us a premiership but knowing that if a back man is out we can replace him with the same results thats good enough for me
Gardner will become a third tall at best, which Cordy is. Would be good depth though.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hawks considering going young and inexperienced or Clarko playing games?

HAWTHORN will consider warehousing big-name trio Jaeger O'Meara, Jarman Impey and Jon Patton rather than risking further injury in the final two rounds.

Coach Alastair Clarkson, at least publicly, left the door ajar for all three of them to play again, depending on how they train between now and Sunday's clash with the Western Bulldogs.

However, Clarkson questioned whether it was "worth it" to play them, in the knowledge the Hawks were long ago out of finals contention.
Is this some sort of attempt to lull us into complacency or is he sooking about being so far down the ladder? Not very motivating for his team to have the coach throwing in the towel. I thought the AFL frowned on this sort of tanking.

Southern 8

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Out - Richards, Hayes, Lloyd.
In - Lipinski, Cavarra, Dale.
B. Crozier, Keath, Daniel.
HB. Williams, Gardener, JJ.
C. B Smith, Liberatore, Hunter.
HF. McLean, Bruce, Bontempelli.
F. Wallis, Naughton, Cavarra.
R. English, Dunkley, Macrae.
INT. Dale, R Smith, Lipinski, Cordy.

MADDOGMAN

Rookie
Sep 9, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Strange both teams have to get on a plane from Brisbane when there’s no game at the Gabba on Sunday.
I agree , quite strange.
On the bright side, crowd of 15000 allowed at the Adelaide oval.
And the doggies have a solid following here. So we’ll all be making as much noise for the boys that we can , try to make it feel like a home game👍🇱🇺

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
Is this some sort of attempt to lull us into complacency or is he sooking about being so far down the ladder? Not very motivating for his team to have the coach throwing in the towel. I thought the AFL frowned on this sort of tanking.

Maybe trying to lull us into complacency.

Impey is five games back from a knee reco and O’Meara and Patton have probably missed more games than they’ve played during their career so presumably the thought is to not let any of their oft-injured players get hurt in the last two rounds and make sure they get a full pre-season in for next season

MADDOGMAN

Rookie
Sep 9, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Out - Richards, Hayes, Lloyd.
In - Lipinski, Cavarra, Dale.
B. Crozier, Keath, Daniel.
HB. Williams, Gardener, JJ.
C. B Smith, Liberatore, Hunter.
HF. McLean, Bruce, Bontempelli.
F. Wallis, Naughton, Cavarra.
R. English, Dunkley, Macrae.
INT. Dale, R Smith, Lipinski, Cordy.
Probably won’t be far off. 👍

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Will be interesting to see average age and experience of each team once they're announced

The fact that Gardner was variously played forward and back (and was even rucking in the VFL team for like up to a third of the games he was playing) pretty much dismisses a lot of what Bevo says. It wasn't some sort of big brain play where he's critical to our defensive structure and irreplacable and he was always going to play the one and only role from Bevo, but rather, it's like throwing 20 darts at the dartboard, having one land in the bullseye, removing all the 19 other darts and saying "see, I was right".

It's that Bevo liked him as a player to the ignorance of others' opinion and the actual, horrendous performance of his AFL games (v St Kilda this year, the fact that he got literally 2 disposals in a game up forward v Carlton last year one which was a dodgy free etc.) and now he's played some not-horrible games after being given too much of a leash and trialled in different positions, Bevo's holding the moral high ground which you really don't get.
OR he's taking the opportunity when asked a question specifically about Gardner to just pump up the tyres of a player who might just need that little public boost from his coach.

It's a long bow to draw that he's rubbing it in the faces of people who thought Gardner was no good.

Oct 12, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That’s fine - we aren’t privy to the internal workings of the footy club so Luke has a dig at supporters calling for Gardner and Bruce to be dropped, but I (as a supporter) want to know why we are so quick to discard Schache and Le Young, yet we give these 2 endless opportunities to find some form.

I am pleased that Gardner is showing a bit, but why are these guys untouchable compared to others ? Tell us what Schache, Young, Lipinski, Trengrove, Sweet need to do to earn their spot.

Not sure about the highlight of your AFL career being standing on the mark really diligently ?

How is it going to damage our chances of winning by explaining that Sweet (for example), needs to work on his endurance and decision making before he is AFL ready rather than ‘he is not AFL ready, next question’ or Schache needs some more grunt and find more of the ball rather than Brucey is not hitting the scoreboard but we love his effort and Schache is behind him in the selection mix right now ?

It just provides a bit of perspective as to what they value in some guys so they are given more opportunities and what the guys that aren’t getting selected need to work on. We as supporters would be more balanced in our observations if Luke and the club provided more feedback on individuals.
I get that it'd be fun for us to know, but the club's priority is winning premierships (or setting up for winning premierships). Releasing that sort of info opens up to a world of problems. Players and agents getting upset, media blowing up, out of context grabs etc. It's clearly best to avoid talking about specific player's problems to the media.

BrunswickDog

Team Captain
Jul 18, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I get that it'd be fun for us to know, but the club's priority is winning premierships (or setting up for winning premierships). Releasing that sort of info opens up to a world of problems. Players and agents getting upset, media blowing up, out of context grabs etc. It's clearly best to avoid talking about specific player's problems to the media.

Agreed. Probably was the coach coming out to support of an inexperienced player who the media have gone pretty hard after.

Usually the media give the newbies a pass, for a little while at least.

Boof09

Team Captain
Sep 22, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I just listened to the press conference........highly skilled with his feet, a diamond in the rough, rarely in the wrong place, been outstanding, a bright light...........got on for the Brownlow

Bevo sees something different from the supporter/media group, or he just doesn't like being proven wrong. Clearly he didn't watch the Brisbane game closely and the rest of the early games. He may have touched a couple on the mark, one that should of been a free kick as I have already pointed out. He will cost us games in the future.

I wish he would speak in such encouraging terms on a few others that have more talent than "Gardy"

badkicking

Senior List
Aug 4, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I just listened to the press conference........highly skilled with his feet, a diamond in the rough, rarely in the wrong place, been outstanding, a bright light...........got on for the Brownlow

Bevo sees something different from the supporter/media group, or he just doesn't like being proven wrong. Clearly he didn't watch the Brisbane game closely and the rest of the early games. He may have touched a couple on the mark, one that should of been a free kick as I have already pointed out. He will cost us games in the future.

I wish he would speak in such encouraging terms on a few others that have more talent than "Gardy"
Bevo seems to have missed the 6 goals Hipwood kicked on 'Gardy', he was the difference

Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
In: Suckling and Duryea

Out: Hayes and Lloyd (both ommited)

And the opposition get McEvoy, Burgoyne, O'Meara and Maginness for Worpel, Morris, Howe and Jiath

Boof09

Team Captain
Sep 22, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Int: Matthew Suckling, Taylor Duryea, Ed Richards, Roarke Smith

Whilst we know the side doesn't start as picked on paper but does this i/c have any variety.....

Mojorisin

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

And the opposition get McEvoy, Burgoyne, O'Meara and Maginness for Worpel, Morris, Howe and Jiath
Complete opposite of going for youth like clarko hinted at.
Happy with our selections

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
A little surprised that Lloyd went out after one game even though I thought he was poor again.

I imagine Suckling will play forward like he did earlier in the year. Not sure where Duryea will play, presumably he'd be back but I didn't think they'd want to change the back seven which has been pretty reliable most of the season.

Oct 4, 2004
Essendon
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
MAN U/BROOKLYN NETS

Those in for the Hawks makes them a different proposition from their team last week.
All their ins have caused us problems in the past

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A little surprised that Lloyd went out after one game even though I thought he was poor again.

I imagine Suckling will play forward like he did earlier in the year. Not sure where Duryea will play, presumably he'd be back but I didn't think they'd want to change the back seven which has been pretty reliable most of the season.
Wonder if they push one of JJ or Williams onto the right wing. We're not quite as dangerous down that flank as we were when Vander was in.

Back