Preview Changes vs. Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

So what did we get him for then? To run his value into the turf then trade him back to a WA club for a sixth round selection in 4 years?
Nah, club sees him as being a tall midfielder. Reckon he can start on ball and drift forward kinda like Matty Richardson did towards the end of his career but with better close in skills. Rightly or wrongly they don't think anyone his size has ever had as good a hands at ground level

Nah, club sees him as being a tall midfielder. Reckon he can start on ball and drift forward kinda like Matty Richardson did towards the end of his career but with better close in skills. Rightly or wrongly they don't think anyone his size has ever had as good a hands at ground level

Jesus Christ if so. I mean his follow up work on the ground level is excellent (for a ruckman) but comparisons to a Richo are fairly pie in the sky at this point.. Zero forward craft, zero ability to take a contested grab, zero goal sense right now.

He tackles well and gets down low well for a big.

Reckon the Heath Grundy comparison is probably best if we want to dream.

Jesus Christ if so. I mean his follow up work on the ground level is excellent (for a ruckman) but comparisons to a Richo are fairly pie in the sky at this point.. Zero forward craft, zero ability to take a contested grab, zero goal sense right now.

A truly MFCSS riddled brain if Heath Grundy is the highest you can imagine Jackson reaching, another wasted first round pick on a key defender ;)

A truly MFCSS riddled brain if Heath Grundy is the highest you can imagine Jackson reaching, another wasted first round pick on a key defender ;)

Haha. sic Brodie

I think your idea is spot in theory.

It's more the knock on effect.

Jackson from what I've seen isnt a tall (or lead up forwards) a-hole right now. His reaction and movement was terrible against Carlton even when did move the footy well at times in that game. We played some good footy on the weekend, blokes like Fritsch, Pickett and Haley looked dangerous at times. Having someone like Brown who knows how to and can play as a lead up forward keeps a similar stucture.

I'd rather plonk Weid at FF than have him doing the donkey work up the ground just so we can"develop" Jackson as a FF which he is absolutely useless as right now.
I agree. He was running around like a headless chook and chasing the ball like an on-baller. With our forward coaching i doubt he has improved since then. Dropped marks can be put down to first game nerves but i think he will throw our structure off.

I won't mind if he plays HFF but not sure if he has the tank and nous to not always be drawn to the ball, I reckon Tomlinson would be the better fit and make his role be really focused on contest marking and making a contest in the air, which he was regressing in when he was on the wing.

I agree. He was running around like a headless chook and chasing the ball like an on-baller. With our forward coaching i doubt he has improved since then. Dropped marks can be put down to first game nerves but i think he will throw our structure off.

I won't mind if he plays HFF but not sure if he has the tank and nous to not always be drawn to the ball, I reckon Tomlinson would be the better fit and make his role be really focused on contest marking and making a contest in the air, which he was regressing in when he was on the wing.

Yep, good point about Thomlinson, I'd be fine with him playing that role instead of Brown also.

Honestly, the Jackson draft selection is almost as much as a head scrather to me. We now need to shoehorn him into the side to justify it. Max plays best when he does a power of work. Jackson won't be ready as a ruckman for another few years yet.
Definitely a concern with both our early draft picks last year, history has proven ruck and small forward aren’t positions that should be drafted that high, that’s not a reflection on either kid at this point but it is a major risk, time will tell.

I think drafting Jackson just highlighted the complete disaster pick 6 for May was from the year before, bypassing a young key forward in 2018 left no wiggle room a year later, the suggestion is Jackson can play forward but he has never done so in his life to this point and doesn’t have the benefit of a year in the VFL to learn, he needs to be the future I’d start that now and cross my fingers, Brown offers nothing in that regard.

Definitely a concern with both our early draft picks last year, history has proven ruck and small forward aren’t positions that should be drafted that high, that’s not a reflection on either kid at this point but it is a major risk, time will tell.

I think drafting Jackson just highlighted the complete disaster pick 6 for May was from the year before, bypassing a young key forward in 2018 left no wiggle room a year later, the suggestion is Jackson can play forward but he has never done so in his life to this point and doesn’t have the benefit of a year in the VFL to learn, he needs to be the future I’d start that now and cross my fingers, Brown offers nothing in that regard.
* me you can turn anything into Hogan or pick 6/May cant ya

So what did we get him for then? To run his value into the turf then trade him back to a WA club for a sixth round selection in 4 years?

Cale Morton likes this

Noted. 100% thought I had the spelling spot on, was wondering what you were on about for a moment, I thought to myself "there is no e on the end of TOMlinson's name". :$

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only the Dees could see a 200cm ruckman and think "could be a good inside midfielder with those hands in tight"
He's not a ruckman, he played juniors as a ruck because he was tall but he influenced games at ground level as well as a top midfielder.

Patrick Cripps is 4cm taller than Tony Lockett, no way he could ever be a midfielder

You didn't read that all did you mate, it's not comparing Richos forward craft. It's his ability to play as a tall mid who can drift forward and find an easy mismatch.

Saying he has zero contested ability and zero forward craft is a bit ******* rich, Buddy Franklin had 6 disposals and 0 goals on debut. Spose he must have been a spud based on one AFL game

Cale Morton likes this
Beat me to it.
I do find our long term plan with Jackson a bit far-fetched, but with the season as it is it's probably better for him that he's playing proper games (rather than 14 a side scratch matches).
It's probably not good for us in the short term, but we'll probably be rubbish regardless.

You didn't read that all did you mate, it's not comparing Richos forward craft. It's his ability to play as a tall mid who can drift forward and find an easy mismatch.

Saying he has zero contested ability and zero forward craft is a bit ******* rich, Buddy Franklin had 6 disposals and 0 goals on debut. Spose he must have been a spud based on one AFL game

I did read it. Richo made a great winger coz of his airiel supremacy and endurance, he was like having a quicker version of max gawn around the ground, he was a freak. There is no way Jackson is in any way better of an inside mid than any of our other inside mids, so using him as one is an absolutely pointless exercise given he can't use his height to any great advantage.

If that's our plan with him, it's borderline *ed. Taking getting cute to a whole new level.

Thought Tomlinson would have been a better fit for TMac's role tbh. But we have to get games into Jackson. Has looked lost so far from what I've seen, but clearly a long term prospect. Hopefully he becomes a jack of all trades. Can play stints in the middle, up forward, on the wing etc. kind of like a slightly taller version of Westhoff I guess. Knowing our history with high draft picks, the likelihood is Jackson will be playing in Perth in a few years time or be a complete dud. But I'm glad we went for him tbh. If nothing else his journey will be intriguing, no doubt frustrating, but if it does pay off, I reckon it will pay off big in a Brodie Grundy type of way.

I did read it. Richo made a great winger coz of his airiel supremacy and endurance, he was like having a quicker version of max gawn around the ground, he was a freak. There is no way Jackson is in any way better of an inside mid than any of our other inside mids, so using him as one is an absolutely pointless exercise given he can't use his height to any great advantage.

If that's our plan with him, it's borderline ******ed. Taking getting cute to a whole new level.
What do they call it in the NFL, drafting traits over production, if the projection is he will play as a pure mid it’s a big risk to take considering he has never played there, but he does have a fall back as a ruckman or maybe forward.

What do they call it in the NFL, drafting traits over production, if the projection is he will play as a pure mid it’s a big risk to take considering he has never played there, but he does have a fall back as a ruckman or maybe forward.

Yea , combine heros. GMs drooling over size, strength and athletisism even if a player can't play. Feels that way with Jackson a touch.

Never been a fan of drafting rucks as a top 10 pick. Way too hit and miss. Better off taking shots on string beans in the rookie draft and trying to develop them yourself imo. Under 18 form generally doesn't hold up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back