Prediction Changes vs Hawksthorne

Remove this Banner Ad

Garner is a Hawthorn supporter. His brother is part of their NGA system.

Dropping him is probably more so Clarkson doesn’t get any ideas. Besides, it’s Hartlett that will take Broadbent’s spot. Garner needs to wait for Byrne-Jones to stink it up.

Lienert is in Burton’s spot now, IMO.
That's ridiculous. There's many more games to go for Garner to be auditioning for Clarkson. He doesn't have to see him live in the flesh. If that's the logic I'd be playing him to start seeing Hawthorn as an opposition club.

Did I hear not more than a couple of weeks ago that the coaches aren't into giving someone just one game and then dropping that player. I'm pretty sure they said they like to give players more of a go. Can't remember which coach said it but now two weeks in a row we've dropped a player after one week.

Did I hear not more than a couple of weeks ago that the coaches aren't into giving someone just one game and then dropping that player. I'm pretty sure they said they like to give players more of a go. Can't remember which coach said it but now two weeks in a row we've dropped a player after one week.
Pretty sure it was Richardson and Scott agreeing on AFL 360 that you need to give young players sufficient consecutive games to instill confidence they can perform at this level. 1 game is limited learning experience and in some people's eyes is hardly going to impact a players ability / timeline to transition to the elite level. I personally would have preferred Garner over Broadbent. Ken bangs on about being courageous with selections and backing young players. Tick with Ladhams but cross Garner. I reckon Brogan rallied hard on Ladhams selection. Good on him finally cracking the "Ken old man arrogance of ignoring the importance of real ruckman" code

We often make the mistake of looking at selection from the perspective of individual players and not the team. If we were playing the Suns or Carlton at Adelaide Oval this week I could probably make a case for giving Joel Garner another week but we are not. A finals hardened mob like Hawthorn in Tasmania in a season defining game is a different proposition.

So far Joel looks promising and he will have plenty more opportunities. I can fault Hinkley on plenty of things but a failure to give youth a go in 2019 isn't one of them.

We often make the mistake of looking at selection from the perspective of individual players and not the team. If we were playing the Suns or Carlton at Adelaide Oval this week I could probably make a case for giving Joel Garner another week but we are not. A finals hardened mob like Hawthorn in Tasmania in a season defining game is a different proposition.

So far Joel looks promising and he will have plenty more opportunities. I can fault Hinkley on plenty of things but a failure to give youth a go in 2019 isn't one of them.

You're probably right but Garner was better than ok last week has had a couple of years on the list and is rated by the club. Broady looked like me going around against Gold Coast (literally) and wasn't really lighting it up in the SANFL before he came in. It's the same situation we have with Trengove who is probably good enough to play but we have a kid who's likely to play 200 games and ready to go waiting. Garner looks physically capable and needs exposure at this level.
Port exists to win premierships playing Broady over a kid that did pretty much everything right on debut doesn't get us closer to that gaol.

I'm going to have to watch the game again tonight to see who Garner was on? Maybe it was something defensively?

Breust, wingard, pop....small forwards. Broadbent will get slaughtered defending and ground balls. Garner better match up. He has played 2 games in 2 years. Why is that more ready on "finals hardened" hawks? Yes we have played many young players this year but if you just do Broady v Garner in isolation, Garner more upside at the moment imo

Breust, wingard, pop....small forwards. Broadbent will get slaughtered defending and ground balls. Garner better match up. He has played 2 games in 2 years. Why is that more ready on "finals hardened" hawks? Yes we have played many young players this year but if you just do Broady v Garnerin in isolation, Garner more upside at the moment imo

So 163 games in 10 years counts for nothing? Broadbent has averaged 22 disposals in the two games he has played so maybe you need to cut him so slack. He isn't that quick but he is finding the footy. In any case Broadbent is in and Garner isn't so we live with that.

Can someone from defence move to the wing? Like Burton or Lienert? We've just got so much depth in that area,v whilst we're waiting for Motlop to pull his finger out.

Dropping him is probably more so Clarkson doesn’t get any ideas. ...
You know that Hawthorn's recruiters and scouts don't just watch other teams when they play Hawthorn, right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Voss said it and Monty or Schoey.

So 163 games in 10 years counts for nothing? Broadbent has averaged 22 disposals in the two games he has played so maybe you need to cut him so slack. He isn't that quick but he is finding the footy. In any case Broadbent is in and Garner isn't so we live with that.
Is this Broadbent farewell game? Then no, it means nothing

Dropping him is probably more so Clarkson doesn’t get any ideas. Besides, it’s Hartlett that will take Broadbent’s spot. Garner needs to wait for Byrne-Jones to stink it up.

Lienert is in Burton’s spot now, IMO.

I’d love Burton’s skills further up the ground, delivering a ball inside our forward 50.

R Gray how long does he have left realistically? Two years? Some of our older blokes looking real old lately, maybe it’s the injection of youth that makes it more noticible.

I two years the team will be looking bloody good, there is a nucleus of a really good squad starting to form.

Can someone from defence move to the wing? Like Burton or Lienert? We've just got so much depth in that area,v whilst we're waiting for Motlop to pull his finger out.

not sure either player has the tank. lienert very very smart player, strong over head and so efficient with his disposal.

Garner out just makes me so sad
Yep. I like our ins but I wanted Garner to remain.

I don't think we can be too upset about Broady remaining over Garner, as his form has been decent and with a side full of youngsters his experience counts.

Having said that I would have went with Garner because he plays with a maturity beyond his years and is a future leader in the club.

If we had the custom of getting players back through the Maggies, it would be considered normal. We would see it and think: "Great! Robbie is ready."

We don't have the custom, though. So I get why his selection is fine for most people.

He’s missed 2 weeks with a wrist injury.

Thank God Burton isn't playing, Clarko might try and steal him.

In my opinion Motlop is the luckiest player to retain his spot, his at times tentative attack on the ball can be quickly exposed, particularly by an `unsociable' team like the squawkers in what are expected to be trying conditions in Tassie.

I thought mots was okay in the second half

Reckon the ladhams selection is interesting, might say more about whether they think paddy can get through a whole game. Seems like they are determined to continue on with the 2 ruckman game plan

No probs with atley and garner being outs, garner will get another go and is now ahead of bonner IMO. Reckon thats the last we will see of atley.

Selection thoughts

Motlop did get better as the game rolled on last week. Im sure this is why he is retained. A firing motlop is what we need, although like others here I'm not sure if we'll ever have it, we'll not until contract renewal time anyway.

Broadbent is living life on the edge of the cliff. I'm excited to see youngsters roll out the older players too, but he hasnt been too bad the last few weeks. Hopefully he's been told that he's only in the team until Burton returns.

Ryder - will be interesting to see this one pan out. Pete is in the team now and if his form is as good as people are saying, this could be the end of paddy. If Frampton and Peter fire and paddy stinks it up it will be interesting. Dont forget who paddy stuck by during the doping saga, and I don't think the club will forget too quickly either.

Farrell. He kept his spot even though Robbie came back in. That's a big step.

Atley - hard to digest his game last week. Needed more time, didn't get it. Was obvious choice to step out. If he keeps at it he will be back.

Trengove - this guy is a former no. 1 pick. He is in cracking form and people still think atleys ceiling is higher? I'd like to see him play, but don't think he will.

Garner too is obvious guy to step out. Did get caught behind a bit last week but I think has a good future. Cant complain about him stepping aside for Jonas.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back