Remove this Banner Ad

Foxman98

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bring Arty in for Scott keep him as sub and that’s all we need to do

Another team not blessed with tall forward options let Jimmy develop as that #2

Bevo will almost definitely bring back one of Keath or Gardner. Although Hawks don’t have much in the key forward department, he’ll want to get us rightfully used to a 3 tall setup for finals.

In: Keath
Out: Scott (injury)

VDM to forward but could also come out for Jones instead.

Only one change: Keath in for Scott.

JOD plays 3rd tall and JJ moves up field taking Scott's place. Leave VDM where he is. He has hardly played a good game as a HFF but is coming along nicely in defence. I might even warm to him. I'd prefer to keep JJ in defence too but they won't all fit.

If JJ needs a week off with his calf (it was strapped up in the last quarter) then it could be a good time to give Clarke a debut.

Arty did some good things when he came on but I'd make him the sub again.

Bevo will almost definitely bring back one of Keath or Gardner. Although Hawks don’t have much in the key forward department, he’ll want to get us rightfully used to a 3 tall setup for finals.

In: Keath
Out: Scott (injury)

VDM to forward but could also come out for Jones instead.
Why VDM forward?

Timing is everything and I like the feeling of getting our our best players back just before the finals.

This is almost out best team. With only Keath a top 22 missing.

Changes will probably be as easy as Scott for Keath.

When Scott is back I would replace VDM with him. Scott flexibility and reliability just make him more valuable.

JOD has claimed the third tall role - he wasn’t brilliant but was very solid and showing real confidence and smart decision making. While we want that role to be more about intercept marking - we also want a good kick and he was very good.

He struggled against the 345 game player in Jack but will have learned a lot. Ultimately we want him to be a key defender so great experience.

Bruce is gone for now, Gardner still has some weaknesses but will be serviceable but I think really plays FB and we saw just how much the gap is between serviceable and a star when Jones came on.

I reckon JOD give us something - he is a bit smaller, faster and more skilful than the others. Gardner, JOD, Busslinger - is a decent development group with young Croft in there. But like Adelaide - even with talent like Murray and Butts you need a couple of reliable stars. We will see a a fair difference to Jones and Keath and so I expect we will trade in a couple of senior established players to provide a bit more experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why VDM forward?
Bevo will be coming up with a structure for finals. I’m not saying I would agree with it but I think it’s what would happen. We didn’t need the extra tall defender last night but Bevo won’t go into a finals game with Richards as the third tall. You could make an argument that Duryea should be out before VDM but I’m thinking from Bevo’s point of view.

O’Donnell Jones Duryea
Dale Keath Richards
JJ

At the moment we are carrying Bailey Smith

Would take some b***s but he should do a stint in the VFL

Confidence is an issue which is now reflected in his decision making and foot skills are a continual problem

At the moment we are carrying Bailey Smith

Would take some b***s but he should do a stint in the VFL

Confidence is an issue which is now reflected in his decision making and foot skills are a continual problem
I'm not a fan but his defensive effort was a considerable improvement on last week. If you can't make an impact in attack then defend like it matters which he did ... at last.

But one of the last picked at the moment.

Out Scott,

In Baker

McLean as sub

JJ and Treloar both had calf strapped may be doubtful

Keep it simple. Hawks don’t have a tall forward line so no real need to bring Keath straight back.

Scott out for Baker, either Baker or Arty sub

Seems to me like Baz has been given some defensive roles. Despite him lacking confidence in a few areas we need his physicality.
I think he's had those tasks for a while but hasn't been doing them effectively or consistently.

He owes Bevo, Bont and Libba, in particular, some very big games in September.

I wonder if the Tassie public will remember us from 2021. Played a couple of games there and did everyone a favour by keeping Essendon's losing finals run going. Surely we endeared ourselves to them and could count on a reasonable level of support.

Previously posted in the wrong thread. Don't blame me, blame this delicious Japanese lager.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back