Preview Changes vs Hawthorn, Rd 22, 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

As long as our small forwards pick up all the crumbs, we will be fine. If not, this forum will melt.

We need both marra and naughts jamming through the big sticks. We don't want them scoring donuts.

The key is accuracy - kicking for goal and hitting targets by hand and foot.
Yes it will largely hinge on that. And also if we can lock it in our f50 we should bolt home. It’ll be a case of shut the gate.

But we can’t afford to leave the door ajar for a Hawks comeback.

Yes it will largely hinge on that. And also if we can lock it in our f50 we should bolt home. It’ll be a case of shut the gate.

But we can’t afford to leave the door ajar for a Hawks comeback.
We just need to pick the combination that unlocks our key winning ways.

I thought it was an iron clad idea foxman98. I think we need to put the hard press on Sicily and hope he gets into foul trouble and Mitchell will need to take him off for time outs during the match. ;):laughv1:

What? Sicily plays CHB Keath* also plays CHB it'll be Lobb or Marra having to deal with Sicily

Like chess, the Queens aren't directly opposed, but the key piece for either side.

As a form of quarterback, Sicily and Keath at CHB are the key players on either team.

(I don't actually believe Keath is the key for us, just that this thread has gone off the rails since my silly calf post triggered the dad jokes, then we've progressed to keys, doors, jams and donuts.

I think Sunday can't come soon enough - the Game Day thread might actually be an improvement!)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would he shocked if Maginness doesn’t go to Libba.

Interesting to see how defensive Mitchell goes. Maginess to Liber, Nash to Bont - still both need to get their own ball as well for Hawks. Plus sounds like Bont will push forward this week to break any tag - hopefully Bevo has a plan for Liber as well.

Good opportunity for Bailey Smith to turn it on, if the Hawks are preoccupied with tagging.

Interesting to see how defensive Mitchell goes. Maginess to Liber, Nash to Bont - still both need to get their own ball as well for Hawks. Plus sounds like Bont will push forward this week to break any tag - hopefully Bevo has a plan for Liber as well.
The thing is though, if Bont moves forward then it's a win for the opposition and a fail for us. I'd prefer us to keep him in the middle and work as a collective to work through it in preparation for any tag in the finals.

As the opposition would you prefer Bont forward battling for opportunities against Naughton or JUH, or playing his usual game in the middle? Bont is a capable forward but one is significantly less dangerous than the other.

With finals up for grabs I find myself looking at the ideal results for us. We should have already sewn up a spot a win over any of the GWS, Swans, Cats or GC could have won all of those games we in a favourable position to win especially GWS. The ideal results this week

Is the dogs, lions, pies, dees, port all win all if these teams are favoured to win. A bonus would be the GC beat the swans and tigers beat the saints. Obviously the most important is for us to win beat the hawks, WCE and the we should be home.

If we win 2 It would require the cats, GWS, saints, Crows, swans and to win all three bombers are to far back on percentage. This cannot happen because the cats play the saints, the crows play the swans. Meaning GWS plus 2 of the others would need to win all their games.

So win this week beat the eagles at home and we are playing finals at worse 8th probably 6th and maybe 5th.

Last edited:
The thing is though, if Bont moves forward then it's a win for the opposition and a fail for us. I'd prefer us to keep him in the middle and work as a collective to work through it in preparation for any tag in the finals.

As the opposition would you prefer Bont forward battling for opportunities against Naughton or JUH, or playing his usual game in the middle? Bont is a capable forward but one is significantly less dangerous than the other.

Is the premier player in the comp and potential Brownlow medallist going to be deployed forward just because some kid who plays for a bottom four team is coming to tag him? Or Nash, who wouldn't rank in the top 50 mids in the game?

I'm exaggerating, but completely agree with your point. He plays where he's going to impact the most, and also where he'll win 3 Brownlow votes hopefully. Maybe he rests forward a bit and you run Weightman through the middle or something, but not for any sustainable period.

Re. the Libba tag - a few on the hawks board suggesting the tag might actually go to Dale to stifle movement from half back. With JJ out that might be even more of a possibility.

Is the premier player in the comp and potential Brownlow medallist going to be deployed forward just because some kid who plays for a bottom four team is coming to tag him? Or Nash, who wouldn't rank in the top 50 mids in the game?

I'm exaggerating, but completely agree with your point. He plays where he's going to impact the most, and also where he'll win 3 Brownlow votes hopefully. Maybe he rests forward a bit and you run Weightman through the middle or something, but not for any sustainable period.

Re. the Libba tag - a few on the hawks board suggesting the tag might actually go to Dale to stifle movement from half back. With JJ out that might be even more of a possibility.
If they tag Dale we will be in some serious strife with our ball movement

Like chess, the Queens aren't directly opposed, but the key piece for either side.

As a form of quarterback, Sicily and Keath at CHB are the key players on either team.

(I don't actually believe Keath is the key for us, just that this thread has gone off the rails since my silly calf post triggered the dad jokes, then we've progressed to keys, doors, jams and donuts.

I think Sunday can't come soon enough - the Game Day thread might actually be an improvement!)
I'm sure Keath has been called many things over his various sporting careers but he probably takes umbrage at being called an old queen.

I'm sure Keath has been called many things over his various sporting careers but he probably takes umbrage at being called an old queen.

That was in the back of my mind as I wrote that post, hence I was careful to not refer to either Keath or Sicily as Queens, and threw 'quarterback' in there before using their names in the second paragraph.

Although if I'd been referring to a triple Brownlow medallist, I wouldn't have been so circumspect... 😉

(Nice to see 'umbrage' too, it's a terrific word, although I occasionally use it in its archaic context, which conveniently has a modern application, just to confuse even the people who know what it means! 😀)

That was in the back of my mind as I wrote that post, hence I was careful to not refer to either Keath or Sicily as Queens, and threw 'quarterback' in there before using their names in the second paragraph.

Although if I'd been referring to a triple Brownlow medallist, I wouldn't have been so circumspect... 😉

(Nice to see 'umbrage' too, it's a terrific word, although I occasionally use it in its archaic context, which conveniently has a modern application, just to confuse even the people who know what it means! 😀)
🤣 I was happy to take a bit writer's licence and ignore the context. I've had cause to question the virtue of at least one his parents over the course of the season but queen was better .....

As for the triple Brownlow medallist, there can't be too many so off to google search I trot.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back