Preview Changes vs Hawthorn, Rd 22, 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Feel like Jones is the perfect type of x factor for finals. Hopefully plays like he doesn't know his limitations. Bit like Clay Smith's x-factor in 16, and what we sorely needed vs Fremantle last year

Something I have noticed in the body language in our footy pics eg the pic above and the off season.
Bont and Rhylee West seem to have a bit of a connection. Maybe I am completely wrong but it appears our no1 Dog has plenty of time for young Rhylee. Good vibes.

Feel like Jones is the perfect type of x factor for finals. Hopefully plays like he doesn't know his limitations. Bit like Clay Smith's x-factor in 16, and what we sorely needed vs Fremantle last year
Unfortunately, anybody capable of opening both eyes knows Arty's current limitations. Including Arty.

Unfortunately, anybody capable of opening both eyes knows Arty's current limitations. Including Arty.

He did help win us a game with an insane fourth q earlier in the year but hasn’t been able to capture that influence on a game since.

Will take time to find consistency. But who knows, finals are a different story. They can pull out the unexpected from players as we know.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He did help win us a game with an insane fourth q earlier in the year but hasn’t been able to capture that influence on a game since.

Will take time to find consistency. But who knows, finals are a different story. They can pull out the unexpected from players as we know.

Arty was full of energy at training yesterday. The guy gives off the best vibes. Cody was also irrepressible, kicked snags from every angle and just couldn't miss.

He has been extremely consistent. Consistently ineffectual, as he once again proved today.

Arty was full of energy at training yesterday. The guy gives off the best vibes. Cody was also irrepressible, kicked snags from every angle and just couldn't miss.
Today was further proof that 'Vibes' don't win you football games.

Selecting Arty when he is clearly not up to it, meant we were effectively playing a man down the whole game. A situation that we couldn't even partially rectify once Libba got hurt.

Today was further proof that 'Vibes' don't win you football games.

Selecting Arty when he is clearly not up to it, meant we were effectively playing a man down the whole game. A situation that we couldn't even partially rectify once Libba got hurt.
I wasn't making a call either way. But personally I'm a bit torn with Arty as he's definitely not fully ready (has strength to develop) but he adds speed, energy, effort, and effective use.

Needs to get more of it, but he affected quite a few plays with those above traits today. Might not show up as stats but pressured their disposal when most wouldn't have been near it. And to be fair West was our only small forward that played well today. Cody tried too but was no better than Arty today.

I wasn't making a call either way. But personally I'm a bit torn with Arty as he's definitely not fully ready (has strength to develop) but he adds speed, energy, effort, and effective use.

Needs to get more of it, but he affected quite a few plays with those above traits today. Might not show up as stats but pressured their disposal when most wouldn't have been near it. And to be fair West was our only small forward that played well today. Cody tried too but was no better than Arty today.
Selecting him at the moment hurts both Arty and the team. He has absolutely no business being out there, and he is getting worse not better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Selecting him at the moment hurts both Arty and the team. He has absolutely no business being out there, and he is getting worse not better.
Hard to argue. Maybe select on form in the VFL Clarke ahead of Artie for the small forward role

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hard to argue. Maybe select on form in the VFL Clarke ahead of Artie for the small forward role

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'm not that hung up on a particular type of player. We just need someone with the capacity to fit in and contribute at the senior level. Rhylee West is a good example at the moment. Not particularly tall or fast, but capable of working out ways to contribute and play whatever role is asked of him.

I feel quite sad for Arty, because he looks like a great kid. However, he is not just physically struggling due to his lack of size, he also doesn't seem mentally capable of working around his limitations at this point. Hence my suggestion he needs to focus on a serious strengthening program, which will hopefully have some mental benefits down the track as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back