Fixture Changes VS Hawthorn Round 7

Remove this Banner Ad

In: Smith, McNeil
Out: Liberatore, McLean

I’d like to give McNeil a full game in that half forward role to see how he goes. Unfortunate for Toby, he’s just too slow to make the impact we need in that role.

I don’t think Hannan or Buku will be sub given they missed playing a game last week so the club will be keen for them to get match time. It’ll be someone who played VFL yesterday so likely someone like West.

No way West has earned a reprieve.
He blasts away with no cohesion
Plays a little selfish
Goes missing for stretches !
obviously not a coaches favourite
In the 2s they didn't want to play him at the centre bounces.Such is the confidence in him
BUT If we are to see if he has any of Libbas traits.
As West still is a bull.PLAY HIM and see.
Throw down the challenge! see ball and Get ball to the forwards.
He is the only player along with Garcia capable of Libbas roles. Unfortunately Garcia has the Skinner reserve groin curse.
At least we all will know.!
Won't happen l know.As Macrae played well in Perth.
But he is different to West .And with no Dunkley it would be nice to see West play in and under.
Anyway my view !
Hope they keep persevering with Arty as he has plenty of upside.His evasive skills remind me of magic McLean.

I don’t think anyone in the VFL really put their hand up to come in.

Out: Libba (concussion) McLean
In: Smith (if fit) McNeil
Sub: Hannan

If smith not ready then I’d keep McLean and just bring McNeil in.

Just isn’t a spot for Buku at either end at the moment. Unfortunately he needs an injury or someone to have a very bad game to come in.

No way West has earned a reprieve.
He blasts away with no cohesion
Plays a little selfish
Goes missing for stretches !
obviously not a coaches favourite
In the 2s they didn't want to play him at the centre bounces.Such is the confidence in him
BUT If we are to see if he has any of Libbas traits.
As West still is a bull.PLAY HIM and see.
Throw down the challenge! see ball and Get ball to the forwards.
He is the only player along with Garcia capable of Libbas roles. Unfortunately Garcia has the Skinner reserve groin curse.
At least we all will know.!
Won't happen l know.As Macrae played well in Perth.
But he is different to West .And with no Dunkley it would be nice to see West play in and under.
Anyway my view !
Hope they keep persevering with Arty as he has plenty of upside.His evasive skills remind me of magic McLean.
Yes play West on ball he's been starving in the pocket good replacement for Libba.

Not the worst way to work Baz in with Libba missing. Macrae back in the guts full time with Baz playing the role Jack has played the past few weeks.

In some ways Baz for Libba is an easy choice though not like for like.

McLean at risk for West or McNeil but I thought he did a good job in the guts - was average when he went to the wing. His performance in VFL two weeks ago was better than McNeil or West have ever played - I really like both BTW. So expect he will play.

McNeil was good when he came on - outperformed García from a few weeks a go. He bought energy and speed and if Smith still out then he comes in.

West didn’t have a statistically good game at VFL level - but he has real fight and is much better in the guts. Each time he went on the ball he started to get it and looked good. Yes he played selfishly but he was really the only one who lifted - he took this on and has at least earned consideration.

Yeah he is absolutely not worse than either McComb or Hannan by foot 😂
Kicking Efficiency last year
West 52.6%
McComb 53.8%
Hannan 71.7%

He is worse than both yes and neither of the other 2 should be near the team and West is no different.

(On a positive note West is going at 100% by foot this year)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not the worst way to work Baz in with Libba missing. Macrae back in the guts full time with Baz playing the role Jack has played the past few weeks.
I agree that’s the obvious option but I’m not sure it’s the way we should go. Yeah we can’t take Hawks lightly and obviously need to win and win big for percentage, but I think we need to use this week to look ahead and still try some things out to get our mix right going forward.

Macrae back into the guts doesn’t really help this as Libba is back next week so we’ll just go back to how we were anyway - I’d like to use this week to try and build on what we’ve been doing.

What I’d love to see is one of two options, either bring Baz straight in for Libba and give him all of Libbas minutes on the inside. Keeps Macrae in his current role which he’s been building in nicely, and gives us a chance to see what Baz is capable of on the inside for a full game, he may just surprise us with that responsibility.

Other option would be to bring West in and give him a decent crack in his natural role inside, probably split Libbas minutes between West/Baz. At the very least it gives us a proper look at West at AFL level which we have never had. He’s 23 now and we need to know what he’s capable of and there’s no better week than Libba out vs Hawks. If he sucks well no harm done at least we know. Keeps Macrae building in his role and we can try and get Baz into form in his normal inside/outside role that he’ll be playing when Libbas back.

If West goes well with Libba back that would then bring us to 6 midfield rotations which I think is the perfect sweet spot.

Could also do the same with McLean but to be honest I just don’t think he’s what we need in the midfield, I suspect he probably could play to a decent standard in an AFL midfield but he’s not what we need in there, slow, small and not particularly strong - it’s what we’re trying to get out of our midfield rather than in. At least Baz/West add different elements that were lacking in their short rotations in the guts.

So for mine Libba, McLean out West, Baz in. McNeil sub again. I think we’ll almost certainly do what you’ve suggested though and keep it as Baz in for Libba

Will be interesting which way they go. If Smith is right he is the obvious in.

McLean has been the only good midfielder in the VFL and deserved the first chance when one of the four mids went out but his AFL form has been underwhelming. I hope they back him in but can also see them just giving Smith a lot more inside midfield time. McNeil impressed as the sub and would be the logicial choice if they don’t play McLean.

Kicking Efficiency last year
West 52.6%
McComb 53.8%
Hannan 71.7%

He is worse than both yes and neither of the other 2 should be near the team and West is no different.

(On a positive note West is going at 100% by foot this year)
Yeah okay I’m not touching kicking efficiency stats lol, West is clearly a better user of the ball than those two - if you can’t see that actually watching a game then I can’t help ya and we’re not gonna agree here

Yeah okay I’m not touching kicking efficiency stats lol, West is clearly a better user of the ball than those two - if you can’t see that actually watching a game then I can’t help ya and we’re not gonna agree here
You can't argue with a fact? Other then the "Vibe" you have what can you use as evidence to support your theory?

You can't argue with a fact? Other then the "Vibe" you have what can you use as evidence to support your theory?
Yeah mate you’re right that’s a fact, I guess Hannan is a better kick than Macrae and Daniel too then according to your stats. Hell he’s actually a better kick than Bont too, impressive.

You can stick to kicking efficiency stats if you like my man

Yeah mate you’re right that’s a fact, I guess Hannan is a better kick than Macrae and Daniel too then according to your stats. Hell he’s actually a better kick than Bont too, impressive.

You can stick to kicking efficiency stats if you like my man
Statistically he is yes however they're not comparable due to the volume and positioning for their kicks, West/Hannan/McComb all play the same role hence are comparable and he is the worst of the bunch.

I suggest you occasionally take a step back from your dogmatic approach to protecting your opinions and actually look at the data beforehand

I'd be staggered if we brought West into the side for Libba this week.

He may've been better prior to me tuning in as I only watched the second half of the Footscray game. What I saw was a completely checked out and disinterested player. There was an occasion in the 3rd when the game was still in the balance where he just refused to man the mark and his opponent just waltzed away with the ball.

Having said that, he wasn't alone. I'd be staggered if we rewarded anybody from that side based on what I saw. It was as dire a game of paddock football as I have ever seen. One that would make any senior suburban or country football side blush with embarrassment. The cupboard is all but bare if what was on display at Port is anything to go by.

Im guessing that any replacement of Libba will come with the return of Smith and some shuffling of the magnets.

Statistically he is yes however they're not comparable due to the volume and positioning for their kicks, West/Hannan/McComb all play the same role hence are comparable and he is the worst of the bunch.

I suggest you occasionally take a step back from your dogmatic approach to protecting your opinions and actually look at the data beforehand
If you can find real data that goes into more depth ie kick distances, kick difficulty, retention% from kicks, turnovers/clangers from kicks, kicks resulting in scoring chains etc I’ll happily look at your data and change my tune if I’m wrong. But no KE% alone is not data I’m going to look at over trusting what I actually see watching the game tbh

Remove this Banner Ad

Back