Preview Changes vs Hawthorn - Round 8, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only game against the Dons she’s umpired was her debut in 2017, and the free kick count for the game was 18-15 against us, in a game we lost by ten goals.

There's a fair chance you’ve misremembered that.
To be fair to that poster, she definitely paid a bunch against us that game (again, easy to notice because she's not a random gnome). I remember just assuming she was typical vic Eagles hater, then being shocked the next time she had one of our games where most of the frees she paid were for us instead.

I think good old Razor Ray cops the same sort of issues too, because he's so obviously...him. Though to be fair, it's mostly his fault, and he genuinely loves the attention (and is a terrible umpire 🤪). I was following his free kicks in the Collingwood game (because picking on Razor Ray is what you have to do when Mason Cox isn't playing) and at one point he'd given out more than twice the free kicks of the other two umpires combined. Loves himself a whistle does ol' Razor.

The fact that it’s a million (billion?) dollar industry that doesn’t have full time officials is laughable. Pay them. Train them properly. None of this “oh I’m an accountant but then I go and influence millions of people’s weekends with my officiating” business.

Make umpiring a full time job, train them right, actually have some attention paid to developing the industry. Stop having an interpretation of the week to satisfy key figures in the game. Until then we’re just going to be lumped with a bunch of hacks everyone hates.

Going to play the cynic card here and say if umpiring was a full time job and paid accordingly then the scrutiny would be higher and the AFL wouldn't like that.

I think they prefer things just the way they are; "dont criticize, they're only part timers ya know", "if we don't have umpires we don't have a game" blah blah blah.

Nice melt.

Totally irrational and unsupported. :oops: :$ :$

Duggan has had a knee strapped on and off for some time. Even last season. So maybe it is a long term niggle they have been managing / trying to get through and it has flared up.

Hard Optus surface strikes again?? Anyone surprised?

It could very well be that lathlain is the issue. That’s where the players spend the most time.

Going to play the cynic card here and say if umpiring was a full time job and paid accordingly then the scrutiny would be higher and the AFL wouldn't like that.

I think they prefer things just the way they are; "dont criticize, they're only part timers ya know", "if we don't have umpires we don't have a game" blah blah blah.

Actually I read that the reasoning for it not being part time is that less ppl would want to do it and the quality may go down even further.
It was saying that it's actually the umps who don't want to be full time and want to be able to pursue other things/work their other jobs.

Actually I read that the reasoning for it not being part time is that less ppl would want to do it and the quality may go down even further.
It was saying that it's actually the umps who don't want to be full time and want to be able to pursue other things/work their other jobs.

Unlike most other sports your career as an AFL umpire would be over much earlier due to the fitness expectations. Unless they're paying decent enough coin the umpires would need another career to fall back on when they hang up the whistle so it's fairly understandable.

Increasingly pessimistic now that Barrass is still out and Duggan is added to the casualty list.

How many teams get it done with 8 of their best dozen out?

1. Naitanui
  2. Shuey
  3. Yeo
  4. McGovern
  5. Hurn
  6. Darling
  7. Ryan
  8. Kelly
  9. Kennedy
  10. Barrass
  11. Sheppard
  12. Duggan
You can probably put Rioli somewhere in there but I don't really count him as an out given how long it's been.

Increasingly pessimistic now that Barrass is still out and Duggan is added to the casualty list.

1. Naitanui
  2. Shuey
  3. Yeo
  4. McGovern
  5. Hurn
  6. Darling
  7. Ryan
  8. Kelly
  9. Kennedy
  10. Barrass
  11. Sheppard
  12. Duggan
You can probably put Rioli somewhere in there but I don't really count him as an out given how long it's been.
Have you seen Hawthorn this year? We'll be fine. More worried about playing this game interstate than I am of our squad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Naitanui
  2. Shuey
  3. Yeo
  4. McGovern
  5. Hurn
  6. Darling
  7. Ryan
  8. Kelly
  9. Kennedy
  10. Barrass
  11. Sheppard
  12. Duggan
I thought Shep was playing.

1. Naitanui
  2. Shuey
  3. Yeo
  4. McGovern
  5. Hurn
  6. Darling
  7. Ryan
  8. Kelly
  9. Kennedy
  10. Barrass
  11. Sheppard
  12. Duggan
Tigers dont

Unlike most other sports your career as an AFL umpire would be over much earlier due to the fitness expectations. Unless they're paying decent enough coin the umpires would need another career to fall back on when they hang up the whistle so it's fairly understandable.
The field umpires at AFL level should be full time. 35-40 required I would have thought. 10 million a year should cover it pretty well.

Effectively you have another "team". Probably should set it up the same as a team. Tie remuneration to the player salary cap.

Plenty of footy players seem to come out the other side of a short footy career in OK shape financially.

Probably not going to get up under the current circumstances but pretty plausible if there was the will to do it when normality returns to the industry.

The field umpires at AFL level should be full time. 35-40 required I would have thought. 10 million a year should cover it pretty well.

Effectively you have another "team". Probably should set it up the same as a team. Tie remuneration to the player salary cap.

Plenty of footy players seem to come out the other side of a short footy career in OK shape financially.

Probably not going to get up under the current circumstances but pretty plausible if there was the will to do it when normality returns to the industry.

If there was a "s**t-eating weasel" industry then they could make a seamless transition to their new career post AFL retirement.

Thought Williams had a good second half in the WAFL last week, started to look more comfortable around the ground and clunked a few marks.

However, he’s getting a game here more out of necessity than merit. I love what he can potentially bring so I hope he makes the most of this opportunity.

1. Naitanui
  2. Shuey
  3. Yeo
  4. McGovern
  5. Hurn
  6. Darling
  7. Ryan
  8. Kelly
  9. Kennedy
  10. Barrass
  11. Sheppard
  12. Duggan

injuries getting to the tanking levels now .. :tearsofjoy: :mad:

You say "effectively you have another team" ..........have you ever counted the umpires and their entourage when they come on the field? Last time I did there were 17 of them!! Quite an expense I would imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back