Preview Changes vs Hawthorn - Round 8, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the worst injury list i've seen since we played Tony Notte at 78kg's to fill the requirement of 22 players.

Honestly I don't care how badly the hawks are playing. We're effectively playing with half of our best 22 and missing at least 8 of our best 15 players. We don't have a bottom six players (you know the ones that define whether a side is good or not) we have a bottom 11.

Players in team sheet not in best 22 (form and return from injury included)
Langdon (won't make it, depth player at best)
Jones (could make it as a fringe 22 player but one of last picked)
Williams (he's barely at WAFL fitness level atm)
Ah Chee (has top 10 in list ability & skills but wafl level fitness and game sense, also coming back from injury so maybe not even wafl level fitness)
Petrucelle (2 years of games and game sense away from being best 22)
Brander (10 odd games, playing out of position and not physically ready)
Waterman (unlucky and will likely be a permanent best 22 feature)
Edwards (2 years away from being physically ready)
One of Nelson/Cole/Witherden (Nelson likely a future midfield defensive stopper, Witherden is behind duggan and cole is last defender picked)

We then have Rotham who has played 21 games in his career (But genuinely looks best 22) who at 193 or so cm and plays smaller than he is playing CHB.

Whats our forward 6 best 22
Kennedy
Darling
Allen
Cripps (just)
Ryan
Rioli

Whats our defensive best 6
Mcgovern
Barrass
Hurn
Sheppard
Duggan
Rotham (arguable)

Whats our Midfield best 6
Nicnat
Yeo
Shuey
Kelly
Gaff
Redden

So of our best 18 on field players we are missing at least 8 and i'd suggest all 8 are in the first 15 picked when fit.

FFS north should beat the team we are sending over.
You're not watching North enough methinks.

Anyway, we still have a very good forward line.
NN and Kelly are A graders.
Sheed and Redden are good on their day.

Our backline is shaky on paper but I still reckon we're a better side than Hawthorn.

The perfect post doesn’t exi..

Don't mind the ah chee inclusion. Mature body on the list for exactly this type of "break glass in emergency" situation.

This is why he’s here. Should have a higher floor than a debutant/kid. Has been going ok in the WAFL. Now is the time to play him otherwise there’s zero point having him on the list. Good inclusion given the hand we’ve been dealt.

Well the other team that had an interrupted preseason due to quarantine requirements and a snap lockdown who also flies across the country every 2nd week has a similar injury list

Injuries starting to pile up at Richmond too among others
Quarantine requirements were the same for all teams other than a few days here and there, it is no excuse.

Why ah chee? Why? What is he going to bring this time that he didn’t in the past?

Completely pointless selection. He doesn’t bring anything in as he will get his 6 nothing possessions. A young player can do that.

Good on ya simmo, lose another potential midfielder, bring in another forward.

Why ah chee? Why? What is he going to bring this time that he didn’t in the past?

Completely pointless selection. He doesn’t bring anything in as he will get his 6 nothing possessions. A young player can do that.

Would Luke Edwards give us so much more? Not sure what you're expecting at this point with our injury list.

Even if O'Neill had got a recall I'd hardly say he offers a whole lot more than Ah Chee just yet.

The best thing about this is we get to see the future. Last week the senior boys stood up and the junior boys tag along. Can't expect the young guys to be instant stars. Patience.

Would Luke Edwards give us so much more? Not sure what you're expecting at this point with our injury list.

Even if O'Neill had got a recall I'd hardly say he offers a whole lot more than Ah Chee just yet.

Luke edwards wouldn’t give less. And in that case, you go for the younger player who has upside. Ah chee does not. It’s well known what he brings. Happy to be proven wrong but he may play one good game, he won’t play two in a row.

These young players now get the impression they can’t get a game even if half the team is injured. Foley can’t get a game and 3/4ers of the backline is injured!

Absolutely insane that Ainsworth can't get a game, and I don't rate him at all.

So if he can't get a game, why do we persevere with list cloggers.

Luke edwards wouldn’t give less. And in that case, you go for the younger player who has upside. Ah chee does not. It’s well known what he brings. Happy to be proven wrong but he may play one good game, he won’t play two in a row.

These young players now get the impression they can’t get a game even if half the team is injured. Foley can’t get a game and 3/4ers of the backline is injured!
His job is only to play a decent game on the weekend and fill in the gaps until players come back from injury, he'll do that better than a first gamer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But balance with so much youth in the team.

Yeah Zac Langdon on the wing is not making a balanced team. 3/4 interchange players are forwards.

This team is not balanced. And that’s reflected by who emergencies are and compare that to the interchange. There is no synergy there in decision making.

Maybe Edwards would give more but I don't think it's as certain as you say. I wouldn't even think it's that likely.

Ah Chee has a few years in our system and is there as backup for precisely this situation.

Maybe Edwards would give more but I don't think it's as certain as you say. I wouldn't even think it's that likely.

Ah Chee has a few years in our system and is there as backup for precisely this situation.

As I said, when you aren’t certain, you go for the younger player.

Last sentence is just a simplification that can be applied to any player.

Man im filthy that i finish work 8am tomorrow. Not a great timeslot to watch the footy after a night shift 😞 going to have to kayo it at work that night which means i probably won't have badge insights.

He gives us a big body around the ball and his versality is good

As long as BAC plays up the ground more I’m fine with it. If he’s purely forward it’s a waste

Ah Chee was reasonable last year and this type of situation is why he is still on the list. Edwards and or Foley would have made us really inexperienced. I would be interested in how Langdon goes on the wing would imagine that Brander plays that wing most of the time.

Going to play the cynic card here and say if umpiring was a full time job and paid accordingly then the scrutiny would be higher and the AFL wouldn't like that.

I think they prefer things just the way they are; "dont criticize, they're only part timers ya know", "if we don't have umpires we don't have a game" blah blah blah.

mm..150kpa for an AFL Umpire. That looks fairly full-time to me

Hope Ah Chee gets given some good midfield rotations. Don’t think he’s ever had a good run at it through the middle for whatever reason. Always gets some random half forward role that has no impact on the game. I’d like to see him lineup around the ball as there’s less time for him to have to think about anything and more playing on instinct. Bash and crash through the packs and win us some clearances rather than trying to make him a creative half forward.
A good point! Like many here I had expectations on AhChee awhile back, but he never really got any traction, or a run of games or perhaps put in the right position, bit of a band-aid player. Bashing n' crashing through midfield congestion might be the perfect tonic for him, just get ball to outside receivers...he certainly has body type and some game experience...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back