Preview Changes vs Hawthorn - Round 8, 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

UseR2006

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Fair point about giving him time to adjust to a new team. But his fitness should already be there.

And the Yeo comparison is off - Yeo was only 20 when he joined us, Langdon is 25.
Fair call on the Yeo comparison. I just remembered a fair number of those that come in from other clubs tend to struggle in their first year and his name just happened to be the first I remember.

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
So we have a team missing
- Hurn, Barrass and McGovern down back
- Yeo and Shuey in the middle
- Ryan and Rioli up front

As stated last week but adding Hurn in for another 2 and Barrass for at least 2, we don't usually bring injured players in earlier

1620013445233.png

I do not believe we will get any of the above back so we have to look at what we saw on Sunday v utensil Burners and WAFL form.

O'Niell continues to do well at WAFL and is on the edge
Bailey Williams is building and his performance against Meeks was a step up. We will pick 2 rucks as Oscar will be needed down back and Vardy was OK.
Cameron - as bad as Langdon was, Cameron was brought in the side last year without earning it so I would make him put a sustained run of form prior to picking.
Ah Chee kicked 2 but was not a stand out and would struggle to be more effective that Langdon

No way the Angry Ant will allow Kelly going off the chain so expecting Worpel to tag him.

Defence (7)
Talls - Oscar and Edwards
Med/Sm - Sheppard Rotham Nelson Witherden and Cole

Rucks (2) - NicNat and Vardy

Mids (6)
Redden, Kelly Gaff, Sheed, Brander, Duggan

Forwards (7)
Talls - JK Darling
Med/Sm - Waterman, Jones, Cripps, Petruccelle, O'Neil

Langdon to the Medical Sub

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Oct 9, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Melbourne Vixens
Why? Langdon is horrific anything is better

Surely 2 goals, 2 goal assists, 8 score involvements and a game high 21 sprint efforts is slightly better than horrific?

He's clearly not in our best 22 if we had a full squad to chose from but I thought he was servicable this week.

shooshka

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Surely 2 goals, 2 goal assists, 8 score involvements and a game high 21 sprint efforts is slightly better than horrific?

He's clearly not in our best 22 if we had a full squad to chose from but I thought he was servicable this week.

I'm pretty sure I saw Langdon in a stat for top 5 in the league 'highest average speed in the attacking half'. Not sure if that was for a round (I think it was post round-5) or for the season.

Must have been a lot of moving at mid-high pace all the time (i.e. not a lot of walking) - because the reality is he isn't that quick (he's not treacle slow, but certainly not quick).

Also seems like the sort of stat Petch should really be high up in. Would show his workrate is where it needs to be

I think we'll lose this unfortunately. Too many injuries and on the road. Hopefully we keep winning our home games up until we get players back, and then finish as high as we can in the top 8.

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I think we'll lose this unfortunately. Too many injuries and on the road. Hopefully we keep winning our home games up until we get players back, and then finish as high as we can in the top 8.
TBF, we've played some pretty good footy on the road against decent opposition.

We should be getting it done against Hawthorn even with our injuries.

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
TBF, we've played some pretty good footy on the road against decent opposition.

We should be getting it done against Hawthorn even with our injuries.
You'd think so, might be a bit of sticky cohesion amongst the boys after that win, some want to keep their spot in the team - it's a good opportunity to get a win-win.
The Little General and his poo-coloured minions will have other ideas of course.

Feb 4, 2021
AFL Club
West Coast

Rationale well thought out post. My god man, the Internet is no place to be spewing that kind of stuff.

Dec 7, 2000
Victoria home of football
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles
I'm pretty sure I saw Langdon in a stat for top 5 in the league 'highest average speed in the attacking half'. Not sure if that was for a round (I think it was post round-5) or for the season.

Must have been a lot of moving at mid-high pace all the time (i.e. not a lot of walking) - because the reality is he isn't that quick (he's not treacle slow, but certainly not quick).

Also seems like the sort of stat Petch should really be high up in. Would show his workrate is where it needs to be

Oh he definitely is trickle slow. Comfortable saying he's the slowest player I've ever seen, and we all had the pleasure of seeing Hamish Brayshaw running last year.

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
He's not fit and I think he could benefit from playing at the lower level and getting a bit more of the ball than he would in the AFL. He needs to get his touch back and get some confidence up.
Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 7.24.06 PM.png

Does Langdon have much scope for Improvement? His best footy was his first year and even then it wasn't overly great either. Like he isn't a kid anymore and the numbers do concern me. Cameron on the other hand copped a bit last year while fighting off injuries. He doesn't find a lot but defensively better and at 21 has a lot more room for injuries.

The pecking order for our depth smalls seems to be Petch,Jones,Cameron and then Langdon. Langdon doesn't really have much time to get things right cause both Rioli's return is imminent and Winder looks promising too.

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
View attachment 1118098
Does Langdon have much scope for Improvement? His best footy was his first year and even then it wasn't overly great either. Like he isn't a kid anymore and the numbers do concern me. Cameron on the other hand copped a bit last year while fighting off injuries. He doesn't find a lot but defensively better and at 21 has a lot more room for injuries.

The pecking order for our depth smalls seems to be Petch,Jones,Cameron and then Langdon. Langdon doesn't really have much time to get things right cause both Rioli's return is imminent and Winder looks promising too.
Sorry I was talking about Cameron, Langdon's a crab but I still wouldn't bring Cameron in yet.

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Sorry I was talking about Cameron, Langdon's a crab but I still wouldn't bring Cameron in yet.
oh yeah he lacks match fitness atm. He needs to string a few decent games together but it's not going to be easy with the side being so shite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back