Unofficial Preview Changes vs Hawthorn - Sunday May 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Prior will probably struggle to hold his spot from tonight, with Mitch coming back in for him.

Not sure we’ll make any other changes though, especially without knowing how the VFL scratch match went.

Fullarton in for Payne is the only other possibility I think.

Pretty much agree.

Answerth needs to work through his disposal, especially under pressure. Constantly blind dump kicking almost every possession at one point in the game was not ideal.

Can Mitch come in off not playing in the scratch match? I assume he will miss it for obvious parenting reasons.

I think so. Many players in their 30s are given a week off now and then to manage them through the season anyway.

CarterS

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
3 of the last 4 have been away and another away game coming up, a couple of times in the past few years this has gotten to us and we've dropped a game we werent expected to.

Dev is not a winger so you'd want to play Mitch if Prior is getting dropped.
Between Berry and Ah Chee and Answerth (sometimes) it feels like we've got a fair bit of depth that got rotate confidently there at the moment - at least for the first couple. I wouldn't mind Ah Chee to the wing and Dev in as that mid/forward we've been playing him as.

knaf

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2008
Standing on Sacred Ground
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
While I would like to see one of the Robbos come in , I don’t think it should be for Prior. I thought last night was his best game for the year. Started to look like he believed he belonged.

I hate to say it but J Berry seems out of form and confidence. I have been a big supporter of his, but I wonder if a couple of games in the twos would help.

I would persist with Payne as he is our best option at the moment and looks to have a future as a competent key position player. Though was ordinary last night.

While I would like to see one of the Robbos come in , I don’t think it should be for Prior. I thought last night was his best game for the year. Started to look like he believed he belonged.

I hate to say it but J Berry seems out of form and confidence. I have been a big supporter of his, but I wonder if a couple of games in the twos would help.

I would persist with Payne as he is our best option at the moment and looks to have a future as a competent key position player. Though was ordinary last night.
Jarrod Berry has turned into a bit of a role player for the team, Chris Fagan complimented him on the role he played for the team particularly after half time.
I doubt vey much he is dropped back to the 2’s when he is playing the role he is given and doing it well.

Jan 13, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I reckon J Berry has been building nicely as the year has gone on. Is just about best in the comp for his goal assist numbers and he has done some good run with roles for us. I was disappointed with him early but quite comfortable now.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Why would Fullerton come in? He hasn't done anything yet at VFL level.
While we are winning, we are going to be huggge underdogs against Melbourne. Against plenty of teams, we are losing the contested ball, clearance numbers. There are big patches where we look incapable of winning a clearance or turning the tide. I always have confidence that we will turn it around but against teams like Melbourne that will be very difficult. It is clear the weakness in our team is our midfield, so l hope that we do something to change it before the final part of the season. Our midfield just looks thin atm, if Neale is curtailed then it makes it difficult. If we can find some place for a T.Berry or Dev in there, l reckon it will really help add to our rotations.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I reckon J Berry has been building nicely as the year has gone on. Is just about best in the comp for his goal assist numbers and he has done some good run with roles for us. I was disappointed with him early but quite comfortable now.
Lions have 3 of the top 10 goal assists for the comp. Number 1: McCulggage at 12, Berry at equal 3rd with 11, Zorko with equal 8th with 9

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
The only changes I can see as a possibility are Prior out for Mitch, and if Payne's ankle keeps him out Fullarton likely to come in, give him a go as a pure KPF with no ruck responsibility and we can see if he offers anything. I can not envision us going small and only having Fort, O and Hippy as the talls.

Berrygood

All Australian
Aug 27, 2017
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Payne turning his ankle might see him out next week. Ya never know how bad it will blow up when cooled and rested. Looked like he was walking OK post match, and is probably just like Priors ankle recently. That's probably the only injury concern to come from the game. Jack wasn't all that good last night, looked a bit lost at times. I'm OK if Fullerton is given a run v hawks.

I too would love to see Dev get a run and I do think he can play a mid/wing or mid/fwd role for the team. We have plenty of hb/wing coverage in the team without Prior, so he's the only one I can see coming out for Dev. We may be a bit more balanced if we do that. I think we could do with that extra mid rather than hb, especially if we need to put Berry on a run with role on someone. Hawks midfield is pretty ordinary at the moment, we could absolutely smash them with the extra mid in Dev.

Berry has copped a bit of grief on here for last night's game but was so much better when put on Dawson to do a job. That's his value, that's his role when needed, he's going OK and his disposal has really improved.

Happy with whatever the powers that be decide to do. Team is going very well, squad is stronger than ever.

He definitely helped shutting down Dawson in the second half from what I could see, after he cut us up unattended in the first.

May 3, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Why would Fullerton come in? He hasn't done anything yet at VFL level.
While we are winning, we are going to be huggge underdogs against Melbourne. Against plenty of teams, we are losing the contested ball, clearance numbers. There are big patches where we look incapable of winning a clearance or turning the tide. I always have confidence that we will turn it around but against teams like Melbourne that will be very difficult. It is clear the weakness in our team is our midfield, so l hope that we do something to change it before the final part of the season. Our midfield just looks thin atm, if Neale is curtailed then it makes it difficult. If we can find some place for a T.Berry or Dev in there, l reckon it will really help add to our rotations.

He doesn’t do much because he only ever plays half a game to be on standby as an emergency for the seniors. Then we bring in a bloke who’s played 10 minutes as a key forward ahead of him. Was a ridiculous decision.

Reading through the thread Prior seems to be the whipping boy candidate to be dropped. IMO Prior has been solid. Other than the glaring snap miss at goal last night he has done his job. Sure he has not had a breakout game yet but he is building some consistency and improving with each game. If we know anything about Fages he does not tinker with the side for the sake of it. He values continuity and consistency so I believe there will be no changes other than if someone is injured or H&S protocols.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'd bring in Fullarton for Payne. I don't think Payne's a forward in any sense. At least at the moment.

No knock on J Berry. Overall he's been fine and you need that player who can go into lockdown mode in your team.

Ah Chee looked really ginger after he copped that knock in the first and be interesting to see if he comes up.

I'm breaking out in carbunkles just to get Dev and Tommy into the lineup but a bit clueless as to how we do it. Especially as I think Robbo offers more than Prior on a wing for this year. Prior is doing just enough to hold his spot if there weren't 3 breathing down his neck.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He doesn’t do much because he only ever plays half a game to be on standby as an emergency for the seniors. Then we bring in a bloke who’s played 10 minutes as a key forward ahead of him. Was a ridiculous decision.
No it wasn't. Payne was in far, far superior form compared to Fullerton. Even playing half a game, he does't do much, wasn't hard to see why the coaches chose Payne, they even said why. The other reason we bring Payne in is because he is a big body who isn't afraid of contests, you can't say Fullerton is going to hit the packs hard.

I'd bring in Fullarton for Payne. I don't think Payne's a forward in any sense. At least at the moment.
To be fair, neither's Fullarton.

For our structure we want to spill the ball at a minimum. If they take a contested mark, that's even better, but the aim is consistently to not allow an intercept mark. Fullarton doesn't have the same impact on a contest that Payne does, as shown by both several times this year alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back