Preview Changes vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys, sorry to intrude, fantasy question..

How long does Cameron hold his spot?

Unfortunately job security is low. Included because Rioli was suspended, therefore could be first cab off the rank this weekend. We have a plethora of small-medium forwards at the moment and Ryan and Cripps are pretty much locks for two spots.

Majority on here seem to be hoping he keeps his spot.

Reality is that small forwards has gone from our biggest weakness to our biggest strength and we have too many:

Ryan
Rioli
Cripps
Petrucelli
Cameron
(With Venables also to come back from concussion injury).

That is a lot of high quality small forwards and now MC has some big decisions ahead.
I'm not sure if any team has ever fielded 5 small forwards but personally I would love if an effective system could be found that managed all 5 of those players, possibly it could be done with some sort of midfield rotation.

Unfortunately job security is low. Included because Rioli was suspended, therefore could be first cab off the rank this weekend. We have a plethora of small-medium forwards at the moment and Ryan and Cripps are pretty much locks for two spots.
I reckon he is a certain selection for this week. 2.2 and 7 tackles (ie more than twice as many tackles as any other small forward) are really solid numbers for a debutant which demand he be selected on merit.

But as you say he's first cab off the rank. First flat game he has he's out.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I reckon he is a certain selection for this week. 2.2 and 7 tackles (ie more than twice as many tackles as any other small forward) are really solid numbers for a debutant which demand he be selected on merit.

But as you say he's first cab off the rank. First flat game he has he's out.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thanks for all three replies, regardless, looks a good one !

Listening to Simmo tonight on Talking Footy I would say we will be going in with 2 rucks, ie Nic and Hickey. I think Nic will be eased in so need another ruck, ie Hickey. I could be wrong but that's the impression I got.

Interesting take

I thought there were rumours that nic would play a bit more forward

However simmo said something along the lines of needing to find a part time ruck to support nic

I agree itll be hickey - but the lad need to be able to deliver forward - or it will be Allen

If nic can somehow get his game time up to 70% - i reckon long term it will be Allen

Last year our best forward line was:
JK
JD
Cripps
Lecca
Ryan
Rioli
Venables

No reason why we can’t play all 5 smalls this year again (petch for lecca, cameron for venables). If cameron continues to bring that tackle pressure that venners did last year i can see him keeping his spot

I think the Hickey Nat combo will be fantastic. Hickey really puts in a lot of effort, last game he really shined. Did a good job on Bellend and had some key disposals and ruck work that helped feed our inside 50 flow. For quite a gamely ruck, he tries to tackle, pick up running ball and fight to get it out. Massively respect that. I reckon Allen is better as a forward role, he's still a bit green at times but he is clearly a talented young bloke with good signs on him. Of course, perhaps when we are dominating, Allen can step in as the replacement, backup-backup. Keep him in touch with the rucking skills, because you never know when Christian the Clueless campaignerface Campaigner will strike our team again.

As for Vardy, to the WAFL, straight up. His form both on and off the field warrants a spell in the WAFL: to mature personally, reflect and improve on ground. Perhaps the premiership went to his head, perhaps he hasn't quite come out of the post-premiership funk like the other members have. That's a psychological thing that Barrass so eloquently detailed on Schoey's podcast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah we’ve definitely had ****ter forwardlines than the one 5 years ago, but it’s so much more dynamic and opportunistic than it has been for years.
Gone are the Woosha days when small midfielders are drafted as forward pockets.

Hams, Neates, McGinnity, Newman etc

Listening to Simmo tonight on Talking Footy I would say we will be going in with 2 rucks, ie Nic and Hickey. I think Nic will be eased in so need another ruck, ie Hickey. I could be wrong but that's the impression I got.
I think this has always been a given. It may explain Vardy's run of odd behaviour in sone way.

There are some very interesting selections to be made though

Some unknowns, 1 of which will be cleared up tonight.
If Gov is cleared then:
NN for Allen
Barrass for Schoey (who has been really good but we cant have 3 tall backs IMO)
Willie for Masto with Willie, Ryan and Petch to rotate through a wing when needed.
If Gov is out, then Barrass in and Schoey stays.
If Gov is out and Barrass is still sore then both Schoey and Allan stay with Oscar to play down back in place of Gov.

Majority on here seem to be hoping he keeps his spot.

Reality is that small forwards has gone from our biggest weakness to our biggest strength and we have too many:

Ryan
Rioli
Cripps
Petrucelli
Cameron
(With Venables also to come back from concussion injury).

That is a lot of high quality small forwards and now MC has some big decisions ahead.
I'm not sure if any team has ever fielded 5 small forwards but personally I would love if an effective system could be found that managed all 5 of those players, possibly it could be done with some sort of midfield rotation.
Rioli did quite a bit of mid time in 2018. Cripps and Ryan did bits here and there as well. Petrucelle was recruited as a wing but didn't have the tank. He's getting there.
Cameron looks like his brother. More a classic, close to goal type, but with the addition of a high level of forward pressure.

So we can play all five. We could even get Venanbles back as a mid at some point. That is what he was recruited as, and has been working up to.

I can see a NN/Hickey combo against the Hawks. It's harsh on OA;;en, but he would then be the one to miss out (unless we move him down back). OAllen has been putting in more and more metres each week and is better for it. He is also really good and clean below his knees for a big guy. Could well be a 200+ game star for us, just not this week.

Yeah we’ve definitely had ****ter forwardlines than the one 5 years ago, but it’s so much more dynamic and opportunistic than it has been for years.
I'm loving watching them play.

It's not just that they are dangerous, every one of them applies forward pressure. Cripps is known as a defensive small forward; Cameron lays 7 tackles in game 1; Ryan sets records for pressure acts; Rioli stops rebound because the dangerous half backs are too scared to leave him. It's great.

And I still maintain that we lost that 2005 GF at the selection table. Leaving Q Lynch and Phil Matera out in what was going to be a low scoring affair. And the AFL interfering in due process to get Thug Hall off his punch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back