Preview Changes vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know which thread to post this but this video ( 0.38) sums up why I cannot stand Masten. Has no Footy (or any IQ) or game awareness let alone time awareness. The result worked in our favour but If I was a coach I would have dropped Masten for 5 games after this stupid decision. As I have said many times, he is one for the greatest 150 plus game premiership spuds of our Game in the modern era. Good on him TBH, he should write a book and tell us all how he did it. From now on Masten is to me what a Bermuda Triangle is. No one knows how to solve it.Enjoy the video: ( specially the ending which is a welcoming reminder of the one and only.......)

If that's the clip exemplifies why you hate Masten, you seriously have blinkers on. I've defended him for years, through good and bad, HTB's and missed tackles. But a kick in to a bloke who should have been coming at the footy for an easy mark? Really?

This doesn’t make much sense to me. He visibly got a corked calf on a broadcast WAFL game, the club acknowledged it all week and then said he has a fitness test to get up.

Surely he doesn’t play WAFL. He doesn’t need match fitness, if he’s good to play he’d be playing for the Eagles. They wouldn’t say a locked in best 22 player is too injured to play AFL but then risk him at WAFL level.

What I am saying is, didn't the club go on record and say that is was just minor and he would be right for this weekend?

Petch is our 4th highest goal scorer for the year.

Quite a few of those were open goals and given to him on a silver platter. His kicking was better, earlier in the year.
If he could kick straight, I'd say keep him in the team. He needs WAFL.
He'll be an exciting player once those things have been ironed out and he's a bit more polished.
Speed, work ethic and good hands. Just need the boots and strength to slam fellas and she'll be apples.

What I am saying is, didn't the club go on record and say that is was just minor and he would be right for this weekend?

My understanding was that he was listed as a test and they needed to get through fitness tests to clear him for action.

Seems like they were hopeful at first but as the week went on it became clear he wasn’t going to get up.

Initially they said it was a corkie and expected him to be available. However, he didn’t train on Monday, was listed as a test on Tuesday, Simpson said yesterday he didn’t do much at training Wednesday but they would leave it til last minute today to make a decision

It obviously hasn’t improved as the week has gone on and given he played Saturday they ran out of time to get it right before flying out today

Noted forward pocket Chris Masten.

Its funny you could use this joke for every position in the team in regards to Masten.

Noted midfielder Chris Masten
Noted forward Chris Masten
Noted defender Chris Masten
Noted footballer Chris Masten

I swear Masten could get 0 disposals, tackles, i50s and marks and there would be several who will still say he is a key member of the team.

Petro has a hamstring - so much heated debate :straining:

Prefer Cameron over Petch injured or not.

While Petch has showed promising signs and eill develop into a beast, I reckon Cameron is the more natural forward/footy player and will add more to the team in terms of syngery with Rioli Ryan and Cripps up forward.

Seriously love our forward line. Surely our best in WC history!?!

FF Ryan Kennedy Cameron
HF Rioli Darling Cripps

Makes me very happy. Excited to see how they on Saturday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its funny you could use this joke for every position in the team in regards to Masten.

Noted midfielder Chris Masten
Noted forward Chris Masten
Noted defender Chris Masten
Noted footballer Chris Masten

I swear Masten could get 0 disposals, tackles, i50s and marks and there would be several who will still say he is a key member of the team.
Find me one post where someone has posted he’s a key member of the team.

1054719.jpg

If that's the clip exemplifies why you hate Masten, you seriously have blinkers on. I've defended him for years, through good and bad, HTB's and missed tackles. But a kick in to a bloke who should have been coming at the footy for an easy mark? Really?

It's just my take on it. If you choose to go short with less than two minutes to go scores level, you wanna make sure there is literally no opposition around or coming at you target. How is Barrass suppose to know who is behind him, that is judgement call made by the kicker in this case Masten. Very similar to running in between wickets in cricket, you trust your team mate and Masten made a poor decision IMO. Why not go long for boundary ?? yes Giants might still mark and kick a goal, but with his option he has no room for error and needs to time the kick. Thats how I look at it, I think he took a high margin of error option.

Does the phrase "the MC know what he adds so just trust them" count?

Or perhaps there was that particular line of reasoning where Masten getting few possessions meant Hurn was getting more touches.

Or was it "Masten's contribution isn't reflected on the stat sheet" which I have heard a few times.

I know there are some that get cut up if you ever mention Masten but I think its a perfectly reasonable topic to bring up. Especially once our players get back from injury and team spots are tight.

It's just my take on it. If you choose to go short with less than two minutes to go scores level, you wanna make sure there is literally no opposition around or coming at you target. How is Barrass suppose to know who is behind him, that is judgement call made by the kicker in this case Masten. Very similar to running in between wickets in cricket, you trust your team mate and Masten made a poor decision IMO. Why not go long for boundary ?? yes Giants might still mark and kick a goal, but with his option he has no room for error and needs to time the kick. Thats how I look at it, I think he took a high margin of error option.
Nah..bit of both really, but Barass should have guarded the ball by coming forward

He brings the 'Masten affect'. He creates an area on the ground that opposition won't kick to, in fears of being bitten or having their missus targetted.
He didn't do a lot wrong last week....and actually took on a front on tackle on a bigger guy and stuck it! That's one of my biggest criticisms of him as I think he generally does what is asked of him but is ineffective in terms of one on one play.

I don't know which thread to post this but this video ( 0.38) sums up why I cannot stand Masten. Has no Footy (or any IQ) or game awareness let alone time awareness. The result worked in our favour but If I was a coach I would have dropped Masten for 5 games after this stupid decision. As I have said many times, he is one for the greatest 150 plus game premiership spuds of our Game in the modern era. Good on him TBH, he should write a book and tell us all how he did it. From now on Masten is to me what a Bermuda Triangle is. No one knows how to solve it.Enjoy the video: ( specially the ending which is a welcoming reminder of the one and only.......)

Despite his shortcomings Mastens smother on Adams in the dying minutes of the GF was just as crucial as Chicks in 2006.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back