Changes vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sicily trying to defend Naughton 1 v. 1 is a win for us. Absolute weapon Sicily but he’ll be less damaging if given a job and not allowed to roam free.

Feel Hartigan or Blanck will try and do the normal role on Naughton with Sicily attempting to remain in the vicinity as much as possible.

Once again up to Schache/JUH to get into dangerous spots and draw a defender. And if they don't then they need to punish on the scoreboard.

Feel Naughts might get a bunch of frees this week. Hartigan has been known to give away plenty and the first game surely gets caught out a couple of times.

I'm done with the constant sniping between a number of posters on here. I don't want to hand out infractions but they are warranted. Please stop the antagonistic posting.

Scores per inside 50% with different forward structures:

2 talls:
35% - Naughty & Cordy (loss)
51% - Naughty & Jamarra (loss)
44% - Naughty & Cordy (win)
33% - Naughty & Buku (loss)

3 talls:
51% - Naughty, Jamarra & Cordy (loss)
46% - Naughty, Jamarra & Cordy (win)
54% - Naughty, Jamarra & Cordy (Norf - win)
42% - Naughty, Jamarra & Cordy (loss)
43% - Naughty, Buku & Cordy (loss)
46% - Naughty, Buku & Cordy (win)
62% - Naughty, Buku & Cordy (win)
63% - Naughty, Buku & Sweet (WCE - win)
56% - Naughty, Schache & Jamarra (win)

Gives us a good idea of how our forward line performs to different structures - obviously a lot of variables not taken into account and teams you’re up against make a big difference of course but as a general overview shows what a lot of people here feel

When we select two genuine forwards in Naughty & Jamarra we’re usually more efficient. We shouldn’t really be going with just the two talls at all as it doesn’t usually work for us and for the most part 2 talls or 3 talls, you really don’t want Cordy down there at all.

1 win 3 losses with 2 talls, 6 wins 2 losses with 3 talls.

Also it’s a *fest of a revolving door week to week 😂
Naughton and Schache are tall now? I thought last week Naughton barely counted and Schache was just a flanker 🤣

It is interesting reading. What game was the Cordy 62%?

Naughton and Schache are tall now? I thought last week Naughton barely counted and Schache was just a flanker 🤣

It is interesting reading. What game was the Cordy 62%?
When it comes to defensive pressure Naughton barely counts as a tall 😉

That was the suns game - I presume the high fwd50 % was solely due to Sweet in the ruck 😂

It doesn’t tell the full picture though - for example the two games we lost with over 50% was Carton & Tigs, Carlton was bad accuracy but the Tigs game where we kicked 7.19 was more down to being forced into low percentage shots on goals IMO so the 50% flatters us and I’d put that down as another ‘fail’ for the 2 tall strategy

Last edited:
When it comes to defensive pressure Naughton barely counts as a tall 😉

That was the suns game - I presume the high fwd50 % was solely due to Sweet in the ruck 😂

It doesn’t tell the full picture though - for example the two games we lost with over 50% was Carton & Tigs, Carlton was bad accuracy but the Tigs game where we kicked 7.19 was more down to being forced into low percentage shots on goals IMO so the 50% flatters us and I’d put that down as another ‘fail’ for the 2 tall strategy

We kicked badly vs Carlton yes, but I maintain even if we kicked straight the ball would have gone back to the middle and Carlton were very efficient in clearing it and scoring against us.

Game was over halfway through the second qtr

We kicked badly vs Carlton yes, but I maintain even if we kicked straight the ball would have gone back to the middle and Carlton were very efficient in clearing it and scoring against us.

The dogs are a big momentum team and it was going all one way.

I maintain that you cannot absolutely say carltank would have held on. They were lucky they pulled a few goals out of their ass

Sicily is just as effective when taking a man. He'll try to outmark the key fwd. Destroyed Jeremey Cameron earlier this year playing that role.
Blanck may also get a crack to see what he's made of.
We could make up to 6 changes. I expect Hartigan to be dropped anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah 100% agree with that, we didn’t deserve to win that game there was way more issues than just poor accuracy

DD7A625B-EE15-4F92-A7CA-9C5B9D716E72.png

We’re really going to have to tighten this up this week - Hawks have cut up better sides than us at times this year, they’re going to know this and pray on this

I suspect it’ll be a shoot out, which we definitely have enough goals in us to win if we have the same structure as last week. I just think it’s gonna be one or those games that we’re up 120-100 yet we’re all still pissed off about on here 😂

What’s breaking down so badly in our team defence to make us the worst in the comp at stopping scores from fwd50, teams should not be cutting us up worse than they are North & WCE? Considering a lot of the time we have an extra small on the field too, outside 5 possibly contributing?

View attachment 1430477

We’re really going to have to tighten this up this week - Hawks have cut up better sides than us at times this year, they’re going to know this and pray on this

I suspect it’ll be a shoot out, which we definitely have enough goals in us to win if we have the same structure as last week. I just think it’s gonna be one or those games that we’re up 120-100 yet we’re all still pissed off about on here 😂

What’s breaking down so badly in our team defence to make us the worst in the comp at stopping scores from fwd50, teams should not be cutting us up worse than they are North & WCE? Considering a lot of the time we have an extra small on the field too, outside 5 possibly contributing?
Poor kicks inside 50 as Bevo has said for the ones against and poor turnovers in dangerous positions for the ones for

Poor kicks inside 50 as Bevo has said for the ones against and poor turnovers in dangerous positions for the ones for
Not concerned about the for - 190 points for, that’s fine. But 250 points against for teams taking the ball unapposed from defence to forward line is really really bad. Considering the teams we should be comparing ourselves too are nearly half a f that.

Poor kicks going inside 50 is definitely a part of the reason but it goes further than that, even turning the ball over going inside 50 you shouldn’t be so poorly set up behind the ball to have it come straight through the middle of the ground that often

Not concerned about the for - 190 points for, that’s fine. But 250 points against for teams taking the ball unapposed from defence to forward line is really really bad. Considering the teams we should be comparing ourselves too are nearly half a f that.

Poor kicks going inside 50 is definitely a part of the reason but it goes further than that, even turning the ball over going inside 50 you shouldn’t be so poorly set up behind the ball to have it come straight through the middle of the ground that often
We aren't set up that poorly behind the ball the turnovers we are committing are woefully poor that leaves us stretched. Watch the set up we had last week when GWS were moving the ball forward from stoppages/kick ins compared to when we had a terrible turn over

We aren't set up that poorly behind the ball the turnovers we are committing are woefully poor that leaves us stretched. Watch the set up we had last week when GWS were moving the ball forward from stoppages/kick ins compared to when we had a terrible turn over
If we’re one of the most efficient going inside 50 (ie high marks per inside 50) then surely we can’t be turning it over inside 50 enough to be getting cut up as bad the other way as we are though.

It’s definitely one of the factors but there has to be more to it

Probably a combination of personnel, two way running, players pushing up against the ball and not holding position = being opened up going the other way too easily.
There's no pressure on the ball carrier, especially exiting the back 50. That is a product of this ridiculous outside 5 strategy from the kickouts which basically gives the opposition a free 50m arc to run around and take 10 seconds to make a decision.

It's mind boggling.

Sicily is just as effective when taking a man. He'll try to outmark the key fwd. Destroyed Jeremey Cameron earlier this year playing that role.
Blanck may also get a crack to see what he's made of.
We could make up to 6 changes. I expect Hartigan to be dropped anyway.

M.Lewis and Gunston will come in along with the debutant Blanck.

Frost will miss, Wingard and Day may miss.

What other changes you thinking?

Sicily trying to defend Naughton 1 v. 1 is a win for us. Absolute weapon Sicily but he’ll be less damaging if given a job and not allowed to roam free.
Sicily has taken his new role by the scruff of the neck and tbh, he's so good now i don't think it matters.

Purely because he played his best game of the year while playing on Cameron and Hawkins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back