Preview Changes vs. Hoba… I mean North Melbourne - Rd 16

Remove this Banner Ad

It worked in the 2016 finals and maybe Beveridge has finally seen the light and realised three talls in the backline is the best setup.

I'm not sure why Hannan's still in over Wallis, maybe I'll be able to see why at the ground.

Looking at Nor f's team i assumed they had a number of key players out injured but the reality is this all they can muster, it has a 2012 bulldogs vibe to it.
LOL yeah that’s it

He does as a player only gets so many of them. However we need to remember that he is still 18 months younger than Ryan Gardner.

A player who being honest probably hasn't shown as much as Young has at times, but has been persisted with.

The main difference is that Gardner has been given the luxury of time in the AFL side and is only now ever so slowly turning the corner.
Not sure I agree with this, Young has been given enough chances and has played the same number of games as Gardiner

Yes he is worth persisting with but he needs to show he really wants it

My issue with having two tall defenders means means you're forced to have the smaller defenders flying for the ball which leaves you exposed at ground level and limits their creativity, it also leaves you very limited to changes and injuries in game. In 2016 Roberts had played most of the year so could slot in comfortably, with Gardner injured Young needs a run of games or there could be a big issue come finals time.
Can’t be too bad given our defence has had the lowest score kicked against it

Yes you might have smaller players flying for the spoil/mark but so long as they have a decent leap it can work and they then have a better recovery speed

It would have been a good game to give Buku another shot. Maybe Young’s role is more important this year so he’s been given the nod.

Crozier not even an emergency. Bevo must be keen for him to find some form in the twos.
It’s Bukus tank that’s holding him back, we can’t afford to have him sit out most of the last qtr like he did against the Blues

He had made a massive improvement in it in the last year but still needs some work

To be techincally correct, we only played 2 tall defenders for the first 2 finals (WCE and Hawthorn). Suckling's injury opened the door for Roberts to be selected in the prelim.

I prefer 2 talls in defence (especially when you have a large number of marking mediums) but we shall see how it unfolds.
I don't mind 2 talls in defence, but I don't think Cordy is a genuine tall. He is 193 and not overly athletic/ high leaping.

Going in with only Keath as a genuine tall in the back group the finals leaves us vulnerable for mine, when to win the flag we need to counter a combination of the following;

McDonald/Jackson/Wiedemann/Fritsch
Daniher/Hipwood/Resting Ruck
Hawkins/Cameron/Rohan/Ratugolea
Dixon/Georgiades/Marshall

When we had Keath and Cordy vs Richmond, Riewoldt ran Keath away from the ball and Lynch had a field day on Cordy.

All of the teams we need to beat have at least 2 genuine tallls and will be doing something similar if Keath is not given tall support.

I don't mind 2 talls in defence, but I don't think Cordy is a genuine tall. He is 193 and not overly athletic/ high leaping.

Going in with only Keath as a genuine tall in the back group the finals leaves us vulnerable for mine, when to win the flag we need to counter a combination of the following;

McDonald/Jackson/Wiedemann/Fritsch
Daniher/Hipwood/Resting Ruck
Hawkins/Cameron/Rohan/Ratugolea
Dixon/Georgiades/Marshall

When we had Keath and Cordy vs Richmond, Riewoldt ran Keath away from the ball and Lynch had a field day on Cordy.

All of the teams we need to beat have at least 2 genuine tallls and will be doing something similar if Keath is not given tall support.

I have Gardner ahead of Cordy. Gardner is both high leaping, better reach and quicker. Cordy gets exposed on the lead and often one on one despite being very physical.

When was the last time we had a chance to be top of the ladder this late into the season?
Round 22 1998? Five point loss to norf? Heartbreaking loss

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back