Preview Changes vs Lions - Rd 11 2020, Sat 8th

Remove this Banner Ad

Would be extremely disappointed if we don't challenge in this game.

Our weaknesses in the ruck and often being dominated by oppo KPF's shouldn't be a factor. If anything Brisbane are really struggling in both departments due to injury and suspension currently.

1 day extra break as well.

Think Gardner will be an 'in' this week. Gia talked him up after scratch match the other day. Maybe Fergus too.

Where is Dickson at?

KM

I'm pinning my hopes on the fact he also said something like - "there is more time and space in these matches (practice matches) that helped him play more aggressively" - or something like that. i.e. he wont have that time and space in a real game.

Surely we never see Gardner, Gowers and Roarke Smith in the red, white and blue again. Thanks for the service boys but we need to keep improving our list and depth with AFL standard players.

Surely we never see Gardner, Gowers and Roarke Smith in the red, white and blue again. Thanks for the service boys but we need to keep improving our list and depth with AFL standard players.
I admire your optimism.

Out: Weightman
In: West

Weightman's not ready. West was outstanding against against North, dropped after one poor outing the week after (yet others get 2, 3, 4 consecutive goes at it). Cavarra the alternative.

Out: R Smith
In: Hunter

If Hunter is available, absolute madness if this change isn't made.

Out: Someone resting
In: One of Lewis Young, Tregrove (or Naughton, depending on availability, though I don't want to see him rushed back if he's not right to go). Going forward, we need a chop out for English - both Trengrove and Young are solid options down back and up forward w/ the capability to be back up ruck. Young has done surprisingly well in ruck the couple of time's I've seen him, especially considering how little exposure he's had at it.

Think Gardner will be an 'in' this week. Gia talked him up after scratch match the other day. Maybe Fergus too.

Where is Dickson at?

KM

Was coming to say the same thing Gardner guaranteed a game - cue melts....i'm wondering if Dicko is purely with the squad to mentor the young forwards in the scratch matches

We really didn't need the Lions to have a shocker in front of goal last night...you can bet they'll be on and kick 12.2 or something ridiculous
Let's hope we can infect them with the Bulldogs Goal-Kicking Virus. We will need a powerful vaccine to fix our immunity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be resting English this week, looks fatigued. Bring in Sweet for a run and have Bruce chop him out occasionally.

JJ's decision making is quite tired looking too. Maybe bring in Lynch as the runner off HB or move Laitham back if he doesn't also need a rest and bring in Greene as a genuine goal kicking forward.

Just to show how our badly our forward line is struggling (not that it needs showing) I was going through our trends for 2020 and found this very damning statistic...

We are ranked 18th for points from forward stoppages, compared to 5th in 2019.

Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 11.02.19 pm.png

It's time to bring in Greene and Cavarra.

Just to show how our badly our forward line is struggling (not that it needs showing) I was going through our trends for 2020 and found this very damning statistic...

View attachment 928458

Where are you getting all these stats from? You should apply at Fox Footy, Kingy will be in the dole line if you do. 😂

Was their an update regarding Naughts availablility?

I'd give Bruce a rest also. Think thats a reasonable decision.
I don't think Bruce needs a rest. Maybe drop him on form if that's what you're suggesting (I wouldn't), but he hasn't had to put in as much work as the midfielders or English week after week. If anything he needs more work!

View attachment 928458

Interesting stat. Agree Cavarra should help in that area if he can get going.

My memories of Greene playing (last game was in 2018) are that he kicked most of his goals from f50 entries, so I don't see how he would help with the scoring from stoppages. However I haven't seen his VFL or practice games. Have you seen something to suggest he is useful at the stoppages inside 50?

I don't think Bruce needs a rest. Maybe drop him on form if that's what you're suggesting (I wouldn't), but he hasn't had to put in as much work as the midfielders or English week after week. If anything he needs more work!

My memories of Greene playing (last game was in 2018) are that he kicked most of his goals from f50 entries, so I don't see how he would help with the scoring from stoppages. However I haven't seen his VFL or practice games. Have you seen something to suggest he is useful at the stoppages inside 50?

Greene's kicked 31.23 (57%) in the VFL which at least is accurate and he's possession locations are split...

FWD: 42%
MID: 55%
DEF: 3%

I disagree. I think Bruce is due for a break if Naughts is back. Bruce has busted his gut the past couple weeks as the lone key forward.

v Suns played 90.33 mins of 100.27.
v Tigs played 95.30 of 100.21
v Port played 94.22 of 102.55.

If we can bring Naughts and Shack in as targets, I think Bruce should have a rest. He looks like he is labouring and if we can give him a good freshen up now, then why wouldn't we?

If we bring in another tall, we are giving Bruce a break from being the only tall forward. Hopefully they create space for him and he doesn't have to try and take pack marks amongst 3 defenders. Remember how he played against Kangaroos. He needs help. We had a lot of entries , against Port, so he was under the pump a lot because he was the big target. Another tall drags defenders out of his leading space and this is what he needs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back