Changes vs Lions - Schaz & Broomy in for Aish & Schade

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Shaz Specials

Shaz to have a below average game - $2.40

Shaz to have below average game and this board to blame Buckley - $2.41

Shaz to have a blinder - $8.50

He was ensuring the Hawthorn players didn't mark it.
One was against McEvoy and he brought the ball to ground which I thought was excellent at the time.
Also, one was in our goal square when a kick fell slightly short and his "marking attempt" was actually to try and shepherd it through.
He's actually quite clever at it.
My knock on him, (as previously mentioned) is he feigns a handball and gets caught holding the ball.

It happens every year tho re: Tacking that big mark.
My other knock on him is that he seems to slip over more than the other players.
Anyways he has a premiership medal and played more games than me.It's just an observation.

Like the IN's. Probably came down to a choice of Broomy or Ramsay who both had very good games last weekend. Would have gone with Crocker over Blair, another marking option in an undersized forward line.
I'd agree Crocker over Blair.
Personally, I'd think Crocker would be more nuisance to opponents, have to be minded.
Also would have greater scoreboard pressure.

But at least Crocker knows he's close to a call up.
Then it's up to him.

Both sides have decided to leave their Cox out

No Cox for both sides can be interpreted both sides not taking chances with trouble and both wanted their Cox for protection only.

I'd say it's likely that they'll rotate Adams through half back and give JDG/Broomy some extra midfield minutes.

Hope not. That would ignore how good and how important Adams was last week in the middle. Id even suggest he was almost more important than Pendles to our win. Just went at every contest in typical Adams fashion.

Adams in the guts is a must if we are going to salvage anything from this year.

The line for this game is pretty steady at around 47.5 and I reckon they have it spot on.

We aren;t good enough to win by a ridiculous margin, but at the same time we really should be winning this game very easily.

For a change I can actually understand why Blair is still in the side. Depsite having a woeful first half against the Hawks (wasn't alone there) his second half was actually quite good and for once he was used in the midfield rotation at times.

And that's the key to selecting Blair at the moment, and from now on. If they are going to select him to play primarily as a small forward, don't select him, because there's far better, and younger options to play that small/medium forward role.

Yet that forward/mid role, when he's part of the midfield rotation, is where he offers us something.

I can see the "no changes" sign going up next week if there's no injuries, after an easy win and with no VFL game for players to push their case for a recall or debut.

Pies by 46.

I not sure how I feel.

I feel we win by 20-30 but I just can't get rid of the Tought we will lose this as we have against teams we should of beaten. Like Dons and Blues this Season

Both sides have decided to leave their Cox out

No Cox for both sides can be interpreted both sides not taking chances with trouble and both wanted their Cox for protection only.
7b37852fa1add38566da4080c902379b.jpg

Hope not. That would ignore how good and how important Adams was last week in the middle. Id even suggest he was almost more important than Pendles to our win. Just went at every contest in typical Adams fashion.

Adams in the guts is a must if we are going to salvage anything from this year.
I don't think that he'd be there for long, but even Adams can't attend every single centre bounce. He'll be rotated out at some point and go to half back instead of half forward like he has been recently. It's not going to be some kind of earth shattering change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't mind the changes and although I would have liked to see Crocker get a game it's difficult to see where he fits with Elliott and Fasolo both in the side as small/medium marking forwards. An argument could be made for dropping Fasolo, but he seems to be working hard and I can understand giving him another week or two to see if his form turns.

If i recall correctly in a high marking contest against McEvoy Blair actually managed to halve the contest and bring the ball to ground.

How is that anything other than a great effort and outcome?

Yep, great effort given the height disparity. Would have been even better if he'd landed on his feet and could have stopped Big Boy running away with the crumbs.

I have belief in Scharenberg and Broomhead as players but I'm not convinced with the team setup this week.

We are playing 12 players that play their best as midfielders in the team so really a lot of them will be out of position for a significant part if not most of the game: Pendles, Adams, Treloar, Sidebottom, Wells, Crisp, Phillips, Broomhead, De Goey, Smith and Blair.

I would have rather seen positional changes come in through Crocker and/or Ramsay.

Broomhead going by stats had a great game last week in the twos, but as an inside mid. Realistically he will get 10min max as an inside mid Sunday.

Scharenberg was definitely due, but I'm not certain we can carry Howe, Goldsack and him in our backline: we are very good at cutting aerial contests either through marking (Howe delivering a masterclass this season on this, and Scharenberg's strong suit) or spoiling (Goldsack's specialty) but we already have too many players going up for the mark or the spoil and it leaves us open on the ground ball and gives forwards too much of a chance against us. For example against the Hawks in the first quarter a lot of their goals came from gathers after an aerial contest or situations where we weren't defending well on the ground.

To make this work we will have to tell Goldsack to stay on the ground which a cutting his best skill and push Adams back to help out, which I think is silly considering he is in career best form in the midfield.

Wouldn't be surprised if there's a late in Sunday.

That being said I still think we'll win and we will get to see more class ball in hand than we've seen in a long time with all of Pendles Wells Scharenberg Elliott and Broomhead in the team. Definitely something to look forward to as Pies fans.

Me thinks youre overeacting.

For one youre assuming Crocker wont play. Its an extended bench and every chance he will make the cut.

Secondly not sure how you think Ramsay can be fit in unless youre suggesting not selecting Sharenburg.

Thirdly Schade has been dropped to make way for Scharenburg so we have lost little to nothing in the aerial contests and gained at ground level. We definitely are short a player who can control the monsters (Dunn has that duty) but Schade has shown in recent weeks that hes not much good at that anyway.

You suggested that Broomhead isn't coming along,.

Can't do much more than go back to the VFL and offer up a near BOG performance.

You claimed it was irrelevant given we've seen his senior performances.

I highlighted that he's also had very good AFL performances. Even this season, 26 telling possessions against the Swans including saving the game in the dying minutes.

Now you're just looking for an out. Possessions are a measure. You've yet to offer anything to counter it. Are you suggesting that 20+ possessions for a small forward in senior AFL isn't a good performance?

Wait, so are we claiming now that he's has 20 plus possessions in ever AFL game he's played this year? Because maybe you all miiiiiiight want to check the stats before you try and claim some kind of faux superiority in this argument.

The fact that he'd been dropped already supports my argument as it is, the fact that he's actually only had 1, yep...1 game where he's amassed more than 20 possessions doesn't mean he's arrived at AFL level.

As I stated, until I see further proof otherwise, I don't believe he's coming along. Domination of the VFL with AFL performances that don't go anywhere near it suggest exactly that. Granted, his injury run in the earlier part of his career wasn't great, but he seems to be over that and smaller players get back into the groove faster than the bigger ones.

Me thinks youre overeacting.

For one youre assuming Crocker wont play. Its an extended bench and every chance he will make the cut.

Secondly not sure how you think Ramsay can be fit in unless youre suggesting not selecting Sharenburg.

Thirdly Schade has been dropped to make way for Scharenburg so we have lost little to nothing in the aerial contests and gained at ground level. We definitely are short a player who can control the monsters (Dunn has that duty) but Schade has shown in recent weeks that hes not much good at that anyway.

The final teams have been named with Scharenberg and Broomhead in. Perhaps we'll see an emergency. Like I said I still think we'll win but it's not a sustainable setup. Scharenberg should be in the team but I look at our defence and it lacks in ground defending so maybe Ramsay should have come in for Smith, or smith moved to the midfield with Blair out for Ramsay. 12 midfielder-first players in a team that struggles as the bookends is too much.

The final teams have been named with Scharenberg and Broomhead in. Perhaps we'll see an emergency. Like I said I still think we'll win but it's not a sustainable setup. Scharenberg should be in the team but I look at our defence and it lacks in ground defending so maybe Ramsay should have come in for Smith, or smith moved to the midfield with Blair out for Ramsay. 12 midfielder-first players in a team that struggles as the bookends is too much.

Missed that cheers.

No VFL this weekend so all three emergencies are in the mix right up until the bell. I'd prefer Crocker over Broomhead personally but probably doesnt matter a lot this week. More than happy with a midget lineup full of midfielders. I just think Crocker would give us a target.

As for sustainable setups, yepfor sure we need a few of Cox/White/Keeffe/Reid/McLarty etc to present themselves as legitmate options for the medium term (we all know Reid is but you get my drift)

Watched the replay and Aish looked terrible before his injury. Wouldve lost his place anyway. Coughed it up and looked slow.

Just dumb-founding to see someone like Smith look so much more composed and classy than Aish after 3 years in the system. Think we'll try and package he and Broomhead together for Adelaide, to try and land Lever.

Schade was outmarked by smaller opponents twice in the goal-square, leading to goals, and Blair is again lucky to keep his spot after AGAIN presenting as a key target in the F50, and AGAIN getting nowhere near near it. Wasn't as bad as in previous weeks, but Buckley obv rewards desire heavily, b/c his skills, pace and body shape just aren't up to it.

Grundy also needs to learn how to palm to his teammates. If he did this, he'd be a gun. Won so many taps, only to put it down a hawks player's throat.

Greenwood should play as a tagger every week, b/c he looks a bit lost otherwise, but since Roos and others keep telling Bucks to do it, he won't... to hear him say that Mitchell didnt hurt us that much was nonsensical. We're just lucky he didnt have a fit Cyril and Omeara to help punish us.

Reid & Varcoe into this side in place of Blair & Goldy, plus a big lift from De Goey & Faz, and Maynard further up the ground, and we might win a few more games. Still not good enough for a Top 8 spot though, so will be interesting to see what happens with Bucks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back